Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Writing Our Own Vows

So 33 days to go and mr fiance has decided we should write our own vows. Wish me luck! LOL
---
tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Writing Our Own Vows

• Good luck! We did this. Just take time to reflect on your love and what you want for the future. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Have fun! And remember, you're making promises, not writing a love letter. (Not that you can't also write a letter to send to him while you're all getting ready!)
  • Have fun! And remember, you're making promises, not writing a love letter. (Not that you can't also write a letter to send to him while you're all getting ready!)
    That is what I told him. Vows are the promises we are making.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

That is what I told him. Vows are the promises we are making.
    Good.  Also, rein in any urge to be "cute" or "funny" with your vows.  In particular, don't have inside jokes.  You are inviting your guests to witness your vows, so make them understandable and take them seriously.
  • I posted somewhere on the knot that I wanted to also write our own vows and WOW was I blasted... They said the preacher says our vows and anything I want to say to him should be said privately to just him, alone.

This just makes me want to do it even more now!....

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I posted somewhere on the knot that I wanted to also write our own vows and WOW was I blasted... They said the preacher says our vows and anything I want to say to him should be said privately to just him, alone.

There's a difference between "vows" and love letters to each other.

Do whatever you want.  We won't be there having to listen to it.
    Anniversary

• Vows are the promises you make to each other. It's not the time to tell your love story. Promises promises!
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sure, there's a difference between vows and love letters but it's fine to share special words with each other during the ceremony provided that you are still saying vows/making promises that may be part of a script or repeated after the officiant.

In reality, when one actually attends a wedding, presumably they care about the couple getting married and a few words added to the ceremony to make it more personal for them shouldn't bother anyone.

I have seen this done numerous times and never thought, "I can't believe they professed their love for one another in front of their family and friends! The nerve of them for not doing that privately."

• Forgive me, I responded to another topic that came up but doesn't really seem to be your issue @tabathafaye- Good luck!! :):):)

• I will probably have a few sentiments. I think it would be weird to not have that. But no more that a sentence or two. Not a book, no poem.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited September 2014
    khristiana said: I posted somewhere on the knot that I wanted to also write our own vows and WOW was I blasted... They said the preacher says our vows and anything I want to say to him should be said privately to just him, alone.
    ETA: Box fail What you were talking about writing were not vows.
  • So I thought I was going to work on them tonight, I didn't even start before I teared up! My emotions are so sensitive lately, everything makes me happy cry.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards