Wedding Party
Options

Designer for Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses

Hi All,

I'm having a fairly large bridal party for my wedding (7 girls). I would like them to all be in different dresses. I want to keep them floor length as well as the same material/color. Can anyone recommend designers that have a variety of options to choose from? I would like a silk fabric but not something too heavy. I want the dresses to be flowy not stiff. I'm finding it difficult with so many girls. I have 2 MOH's so maybe they can be in the same dress. I am going for a champagne hue and there's not many choices that i've come across with all these options. Anything helps! 

Re: Designer for Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses

• Options
    Why not let them choose any floor length dress in a "flowy" champagne fabric from any designer?

That might be easier.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I was thinking that too. There are tons more chiffon dresses to choose from but do you think it would look off if i'm in a satin dress? They just all have different bodies and that would be ideal to have them in what they feel most comfortable. Also, even with the same designer chiffon always looks a bit lighter in the same hue than a silk dress would. Maybe i'm just crazy! What do you think? 
  • Options
    I was thinking that too. There are tons more chiffon dresses to choose from but do you think it would look off if i'm in a satin dress? They just all have different bodies and that would be ideal to have them in what they feel most comfortable. Also, even with the same designer chiffon always looks a bit lighter in the same hue than a silk dress would. Maybe i'm just crazy! What do you think? 
    I personally don't think mixed fabrics look bad in pictures.  I think unhappy bridesmaids looked forced and stiff and bad in photos.

It's not really going to mater what fabric you choose to wear as the bride- your dress will likely look so much different than a BM dress.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I had a chiffon dress and my BMs had satin, so it doesn't matter on the fabrics.  Just find a "champagne" color you like and give your girls that designer.  Please make sure that designer will fit into their budgets first though!
  • Options
    I don't get doing mismatched but forcing to choose from one designer. Just tell them to get a floor length champagne gown. They can decide the price and style. I've also never seen a 'flowy' satin. I think you're really over-thinking the different fabrics. I wore satin and one BM wore cotton! We all looked fabulous and went well together. 
  • Options
    mhoffman17mhoffman17 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014

I completely understand the mismatched dress, but same designer.  That way you know the girls won't have to fret about if their dress is "right".  As a bridesmaid, I liked having the bride tell me what to buy so I'm not out searching forever. I don't have time for that. Also, the fabric and color will be the same. For my wedding, I am doing dark purple (I think it's "eggplant") short chiffon dresses from Bill Levkoff.  He has so many differnet styles that all 10 of my girls can choose a different dress that suits them, but they will look great becuase it will be the same color and fabric.

Also, I know some brides like to have differnet color dresses, but same dress.  Or some brides like to have different dresses but same color.  It's really up to you, but I'm sure it will look amazing either way.

• Options
    I don't get doing mismatched but forcing to choose from one designer. Just tell them to get a floor length champagne gown. They can decide the price and style. I've also never seen a 'flowy' satin. I think you're really over-thinking the different fabrics. I wore satin and one BM wore cotton! We all looked fabulous and went well together. 
    This.

• Options
    Like mhoffman, I'm also doing Bill Levkoff. I picked navy, floor length and chiffon and each of my girls picked her dress. 
  • Options
    I chose a designer (David's Bridal), color (wine), fabric (chiffon), and length (long) and told them to pick whatever. They all chose different dresses. There were about 12 to pick from for my five bms. 
  • Options
    I used J. Crew for my bridesmaids dresses. I picked the color and let them each pick the style they liked the best. Good luck!
  • Options
    Joanna August (they sell her dresses on Shopbop) has some really gorgeous long dresses. 

My bridesmaids are hopefully going to be wearing one of them (whichever they each want to choose) in black...except for my one friend who says none of them will look good on her (they are wrap dresses, you can alter and adjust them until the end of time, AND she has a perfect hourglass figure) and she's going to find something on her own. I am trying really hard not to be annoyed. :):) I know it won't matter in the end...there's always gotta be one difficult maid, I suppose?
  • Options
    I would not let girls choose "champagne" from different designers, as that will likely end up clashing.  My girls all had different dress styles in 3 colors (6 girls, 2 of each) with Alfred Sung dresses.  They have plenty of designs and then the colors would be an exact match to one another.
  • Options
    I would not let girls choose "champagne" from different designers, as that will likely end up clashing.  My girls all had different dress styles in 3 colors (6 girls, 2 of each) with Alfred Sung dresses.  They have plenty of designs and then the colors would be an exact match to one another.
    Every time someone says something like this, I laugh.  Because I plan on telling my girls to wear a dress.  Not "a knee length purple dress" or "a long navy dress", but "a dress."  If they clash, they clash.  Either the photographer can stand them on opposite sides of the photograph, or we can print the photos in black and white, or probably we just won't care because I never arrange my outfits with my friends when planning a photo-happy outing with them.  So anyway, this made me laugh.
  • Options
    Yes, I can see why you would laugh - it is silly when you never plan any other time of year to coordinate outfits.  I'm with you there.  I guess my point was by narrowing it to "champagne," you would likely end up with a color that could vary slightly depending on designer.  It would look like you tried, but couldn't quite get it right.  At least with your suggestion of wearing a dress, you leave it completely open, and you likely won't have a color scheme that looks awkwardly planned.  I was at a wedding where they actually wore champagne and 3 of the girls matched in hue and two were slightly off.  I found it more distracting than pulling 5 people out of the crowd that are wearing whatever they want and it seemed like those 2 girls didn't get the memo on the specific hue.  
  • Options
    Not necessarily true.  Sometimes when you have a bit of variation in color it adds depth and makes everything look more natural.  Plus, champagne is a neutral color, so it's likely going to go with anything.  Even if one of the girls gets a darker color of champagne, or a lighter color, your photographer can work it out and place everyone accordingly for photos.  Champagne isn't going to clash with itself... sorry I just realized how artsy I sound... apologies if none of this makes sense!
  • Options
    We are going with Alfred Sung, which has 53 options to choose from in the specific color/length I want. This way everyone can choose exactly what they want to wear and how much they want to spend
  • Options
    I would also recommending checking out Alfred Sung. Your girls will have quite a few options that will fit you champange colour scheme.
  • Options
    No, mismatched neutrals won't clash. Nor will mismatched fabrics/textures.

But there's also nothing wrong with choosing one designer/color/fabric/length, as long as it's within your bridesmaids' budgets and there are choices acceptable to their comfort level (i.e. needing straps, a-line, etc.) However, aside from chiffon, georgette and jersey. most of the fabrics you'll find aren't very flowy. I used Alfred Sung peau de soie (which is a silk) and it's much more structured. 

Dessy (After 6, Dessy Group, etc.) has a lot of full-length options in nu-georgette and lux chiffon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards