Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Groom's Name on Shower Banner?

My fellow bridesmaids and I are hosting a shower for my friend (the bride). This is not a Jack & Jill or a co-ed shower. I am making a banner to the extent of "Congratulations Marie" or "Marie's Bridal Shower", but I am not sure if I should include the groom's name or not. The groom will be arriving at the very end of the shower to help load up gifts... So what is proper etiquette here? Include the groom's name, or not? 

Side note: His name is on the favors with their wedding date. 
Anniversary

Re: Groom's Name on Shower Banner?

• Options
    I don't think it matters too much. But I wouldn't put his name on "Marie and johns bridal shower."
  • Options
    Eh, I would probably just include the bride's name.  But I don't think it matters too much either way.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I wanted to really emphasize the fact that it is Marie's shower. Then I was trying to figure out what I even want the banner to say. Marie's Bridal Shower just seems so generic. 
    Anniversary
  • Options

Does the shower have a "theme" or title other than Bridal Shower???  I understand what you mean.  Also where are you getting the banner?  Can you add graphics to it to make it more personalized even if the message seems generic?

For example, we used sunflowers (Husbands choice) as our wedding flower, so all of our wedding correspondence had some hint/use of a sunflower.  Since my MIL and SIL/BM threw my shower, they used sunflowers on their stationary as well.  It tied it together and made it a little more personalized.  Just a thought!

• Options
    @cowgirl8238 there is no "theme" per se. It's just going to be pink. The banner I got was a kit that is DIY so it comes with the pink banner, and then letters so you make your own sign. It's the flag kind that's on a string. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    If the groom was going to be there opening gifts with the bride, I'd say put both names on it. But since he's not, then just put her name on it.
  • Options

@Jessa617 ah I see.  I think you will be fine with the kit as is then.  I really can't think of anything else to say that doesn't get too long/complicated.  Can you maybe add the wedding date?  Sorry I don't have any further ideas on this one :/  maybe some of the other knotties will think of something I'm missing...

• Options
    If you don't like "Marie's Bridal Shower" and want to use his name, you could put "Marie & John 12-6-14". If you don't want to use his name and he won't really be present at the shower, I don't think there's anything wrong with "Congratulations Marie!"
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Ever since someone told me that the bride should be told "Best Wishes" and NOT "Congratulations" I can't help but cringe when I see "Congratulations, Bride!" even though it's pretty old school.

ETA: I'm 32 and I wouldn't put "Congratulations" and older guests are probably more likely to side eye it, just FYI.
  • Options
    lc07 said:

Ever since someone told me that the bride should be told "Best Wishes" and NOT "Congratulations" I can't help but cringe when I see "Congratulations, Bride!" even though it's pretty old school.

ETA: I'm 32 and I wouldn't put "Congratulations" and older guests are probably more likely to side eye it, just FYI.
    I only know this from Gilmore Girls.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    lc07 said:

I use "congratulations and best wishes" for both the bride and the groom to lose the sexism.  I know it's not traditional but it evens things out.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Jen4948 - from an older woman, saying Congratulations to the bride seems sexist to us old school feminists because it reeks of 'Congratulations on finally finding a man.' I'm glad people don't think this way any longer, but it still makes me cringe a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards