Oregon

Cake Recs?

Looking for recs for birthday cakes.  Non-grocery store looking/tasting, please.  I have all the love in the world for Costco but need something a bit nicer than that.  Needs to be east side.  Bonus points for something in the Milwaukie/Clackamas area.  And don't bother mentioning JaCiva's.  I know it's sac-relig but no one in my family likes them.

Re: Cake Recs?

• Mrs.FelicityMrs.Felicity member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want cakes on the East-sayeed, there's nothing to say except: PAMBICHE.[url]http://www.pambiche.com/pdf/pambiche_whole_desserts_menu.pdf[/url]They are the most delicious & unique cakes you can imagine.  Nothing grocery store looking/tasting about them.... nomnomnom  I will go drool over their menu now. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Papa Haydn's makes a good, non-birthdayesque cake, too.
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to say pambiche.. num num num..
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ya'll!  I already mentioned Papa Haydn's to my mom, since that is one of my favoritest places evah, but hadn't thought about Pambiche.  We're also going to look into Piece of Cake.
  • edited December 2011
    Wohoo- another Jaciva-heretic!I did not care for Piece of Cake, it was dry, dry, dry. And oddly lumpy. Friend's of Mr M strongly recommended it though, so maybe a fluke? Papa Hadyn's is delish and surprisingly not incredibly expensive. One of these days I must try Pambiche, I drool at the thought of passionfruit cream cheese frosting.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mouse, interesting take on P of C.  I've only ever had their sugar free cakes, and they were good.After looking at the Pambiche menu, I see a million things I'd like to try, but nothing my dad the birthday boy would like.  I think I'm gonna push for Papa Haydn.  Yum.
  • edited December 2011
    Holiday Essence - You have to order by phone as their NE shop closed down a few years ago. A little part of my heart died the day their shop closed. Amazing cakes.Bakery Bar -yummmy yumminessPiece of Cake - Only had their vegan cupcakes, but it was good. Chocolate Peanut butter..omg.Beaverton Bakery - Today, I ate some raspberry poppy seed and I had to resist eating another slice. Delish.Has anyone tried Helen Bernard?? http://www.helenbernhardbakery.com
  • edited December 2011
    Am I remembering correctly that back in the day that "we" didn't like Helen Bernard's because of her political donations?  Mouse can probably remind me :)
  • Mrs.FelicityMrs.Felicity member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mother-in-law gets Helen Bernhard's cakes for every family birthday party.  She LOVES them.  They're "ok'" but nothing to write home about IMO.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Piece of Cake and blech!  Worst cake I've probably ever had - and that includes the cheap-o WinCo cake I bought for a school party. Ended up with a Papa Haydn triple chocolate cake - yum.
  • edited December 2011
    I feel vindicated. :) Helen Berhard's helped bankroll the asinine anti-gay marriage proposition. Not a business I'd want at my wedding. 

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • edited December 2011
    Aw.. I'm too late! We had Sweet Cakes by Melissa do our wedding cake and the cakes (we had 5 diff flavors) were so outrageously delicious. Our guests swarmed towards the cake.. it was a sight to be seen. Anyway, for future cakes (bdays, etc) I will probably want to buy from her although it might be a bit pricier than Papa Haydn.. not sure (I love their boccone dolce.. YUMMmm).  http://www.sweetcakesweb.com/
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    meo, how funny!  I told my husband I want a Boccone Dolce for my next big birthday (30).  Drool.  I love that stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards