Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Ok to ask bridesmaids to pay me back for hair?

Hi All~

Etiquette question:  I have let my bridesmaids know that if they'd like to have their hair done the day of the wedding, we will be having stylists at the hotel that morning, but they would have to cover the cost if they'd like it (not required).   From what I understand from weddings I've been in this is normal, but here's the hiccup: The salon is now saying that since they are traveling they require payment in full up front. Updos are $75 for bridesmaids, and most of mine are out of state.  Is it weird to ask them to pay me back that day?  This is definitely a cost we weren't planning for and will be a big strain on our pre-wedding budget. 

Thoughts? 

Re: Ok to ask bridesmaids to pay me back for hair?

• Options
    I personally don't think it is weird.  You were upfront about having your bridesmaids cover the cost and you aren't requiring them to get their hair done.  My FI is in a wedding soon and his friend paid for stuff up front and he had to send him a check to pay it back, neither of us gave it a second thought.
  • Options
    As long as you don't require the BMs to use this service, and it is a choice they are making, it is completely fine to ask your ladies to pay for it.  Explain that you need to pay for the services now, and you need a definite answer on who wants in/out, then give them the option to send a check between now and the wedding, or to pay you on the day.  I'm sure it would be more helpful for you if you got the money sooner, rather than later.  
  • Options
    I don't think it's weird either.  Just make sure you are clear that it isn't required.  Be honest about the situation. 
  • Options
    we went with sending checks to avoid any changes of plans - please send checks by x date if you'd like to reserve. They still went to us, but we then paid the dressers.  Tips we covered.
  • Options
    Also - check out the etiquette forum - those ladies are harsh but awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards