Oregon
Options

To Canopy or Not: That is the Question

Our big day is Sunday up on the N. side of Mt. Hood. Forecast is saying "a slight chance of showers" at this point, and being that we're at a fab venue w/ amazing views, we had totally planned everything (r dinner/ceremony/reception) to be outside. We're deep into worst case scenario/back up rain plans at this point. I'm feeling pretty satisfied w/ plan to canopy for r. dinner and reception. Whether it rains or not it will definitely be cooler and we want people to be comfortable. But I'm stuck on what to do about ceremony, which is 11 am on Sunday morning. If we canopy the ceremony area, I think it will really change the character of what we'd hoped to do, not to mention add even more cost (I'm not bitching, that's life in wedding world, but it is a fact) all for 30 minutes of ceremony at the most. One alternative to the canopy would be buying 110 cheap umbrellas at the Dollar Store for our guests and hoping that b/w 11 and 11:30 am on Sunday there's nothing more than a mist or a sprinkle, or no rain at all. Knowing our guest list, I think most folks could handle it. I guess it boils down to: rain or shine, I really want the ceremony to be out in the open/exposed (we'll be under a chuppah) and my concern w/ a canopy is it would totally change look and feel of what we planned for our ceremony. BUT, I am equally concerned w/ the potential for guests to be cold/wet/miserable. That seems like a very bad thing to expose them to. It could be a long half hour for them if it did rain, and a canopy would take care of that problem. BUT, what if we canopy and then it doesn't even rain? I will be bummed.Happily, we don't have to make this decision until tomorrow. Any similar experiences/wisdom to share out there? :-)

Re: To Canopy or Not: That is the Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In case of a torrential downpour, can you just move the ceremony to under the reception canopy for the comfort of your guests? Having some umbrellas (or even paper parasols) on hand would be good for light misting.  Just leave the price tags on them until you know whether or not you're actually going to need them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you have a canopied area and non-canopied area?  That way you've got your rain plan in place, but if it's nice outside you can still have your open air ceremony.  Set up your canopy behind where you'd like to have the ceremony or off to the side.Parasols and umbrellas are nice, but the problem is they block the view of people behind them.  If you have older guests or kids, the cold and wet can be extra miserable.  Plus, people will be dressed up for your wedding and not the weather.I hope your wedding day ends up being beautiful!  I got married on Mt. Hood too, and it rained the entire week before my wedding.  The sun came out towards the end of the day before, and the day ended up being beautiful.  And because of the rain, all the haze and clouds were cleared out so the view was spectacular.  I hope you get the same wonderful luck!
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Options
    hbarbourhbarbour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ladies! All good ideas and we're looking into all of the options. The most encouraging thing that happened today (besides having an awesome facial and getting out of a traffic ticket...oh wait, that was yesterday) is that the bad weather seems to have been "pushed out" by a day. They were predicting rain to start in Parkdale on Fri...now forecast is saying Fri is will be beautiful and  chance of rain starting Fri night/Saturday. Maybe the bad weather will just keep getting pushed back all the way through Sunday night. Either way, we'll be prepared and have a great day. Kudos to this board, which has been super helpful in my planning...I'm grateful there's a group of experienced women hanging out on the Oregon Knot helping all of us along!
  • Options
    Mrs.FelicityMrs.Felicity member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is it with tickets just before weddings?  I got TWO parking tickets the day before my wedding while I was at the spa getting a mani/pedi.  I had accidentally parked in a "15 minutes only" space.  The jerkwad meter maid gave me a ticket...and then came back exactly 15 minutes later and gave me ANOTHER one!  I was lucky she didn't come every 15 minutes during the 2 hours I was in there.  But $140 in tickets!!  I still call it the most expensive mani/pedi I've ever had. :)Have a great wedding, I hope the weather is beautiful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards