Attire & Accessories Forum

Veil Help!

Hello all -

I recently purchased  my gown - Allure 2700 in ivory/cafe. Originally, I had wanted a big trumpet dress with a huge train, but fell in love with the look and feel of this dress. However, I still want to wear a cathedral veil to get that full look for the ceremony. Any suggestions for cathedral veils without lace (dont like the idea of it not matching the lace of the dress). Thanks! :)
mainimagemainimage

Re: Veil Help!

• How about a satin trim, like this one?
    Happiness is an inside job
  • I think a raw-edge veil would be perfect. 
  • ElcaB said:
    I think a raw-edge veil would be perfect. 
    I second this.  I love raw-edge cathedral length veils.  You don't need adornments because you get the drama from the length.

• I'm currently on the lookout for a raw-edge cathedral veil as well. The bridal salon I bought my dress from wanted close to $700 for the veil I liked (figures..), so I'm hoping to find a second-hand veil or look at a chain store like David's Bridal. Good luck!
  • I'm currently on the lookout for a raw-edge cathedral veil as well. The bridal salon I bought my dress from wanted close to $700 for the veil I liked (figures..), so I'm hoping to find a second-hand veil or look at a chain store like David's Bridal. Good luck!
    @charlottesmom0626 - you will still pay a lot at places like David's Bridal for a veil.  Check out Etsy and even Ebay and also preownedweddingdresses.com in their accessories section.

• @maggie0829 I looked a little on etsy, but I'm reluctant to buy without seeing it in person. I'm considering the ones that will send a sample of the fabric.. silk/tulle/organza all can be beautiful or tacky depending on the color, "sheer"ness etc.
  • Thanks for the ideas! For those shopping, I've looked online at lightinthebox.com too... not many without lace for me, but cheap prices
  • @dfo3612 - lightinthebox.com is a knockoff site which is why their prices are so cheap.  The picture you see on the website is most likely not what you will be getting if you order from them.  You will instead get some cheap knockoff, usually with lots of sewing mistakes and made of really cheap material.  Don't waste your money.

• I had a great experience with Etsy.  Ordered a cathedral veil with beaded trim and it matches perfectly.  And the price was fantastic!

You will find something you love. That dress is beautiful.
  • I had a great experience with Etsy too. I decided to take a risk and buy a veil that was the same style as the one I was going to buy from the bridal shop but less than half the price and it is gorgeous and very well made.
  • @Knottie56374471 and @lnl1015 - could you provide the Etsy sellers you used when purchasing your veils?  It may help OP out in her hunt for an affordable yet pretty veil.  Thanks!

• I also just ordered a custom veil from OBridalVeil on Etsy. I haven't received it yet, but we exchanged several emails back and forth about what I wanted.  And they also sent detailed pictures of what they could do after I told them what I wanted.  I would suggest going the Etsy route, because most of the time they are cheaper and most sellers are very oriented to custom pieces.

• Sure.  I used this shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WeddingVeilShop?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I was debating between the ivory and diamond white...decided the ivory was too yellow and went with the diamond white.  When I went back to the shop I took it with me and it looks great!  Also, I got it the day after I ordered.  Its perfect.
  • wow - thanks for the tips about light in the box! I'll be sure to check out those etsy shops!
  • If you're experienced with a sewing machine at all, consider making your own veil.  I got the fabric for mine for super cheap (it was maybe $2 a yard) and made mine in about 30 min. It was cheap enough that I made a practice one first, just in case I made a mistake. 

But seriously, its a super easy sewing project, especially if you want a raw edge veil.  and you can make it as long as you want that way
  • kirby400kirby400 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014
    I made my own as well from ivory tulle I had bought for decorations. It was 108" wide tulle. I made it chapel length, two layers, and sewed it onto a metal hair comb I got from JoAnn's for $6.  It didn't have any embellishments until I brought it to the seamstress to try it on with my wedding dress and she had some beading that matched my dress. So she added some beautiful beads near the comb for me. I hadn't sewed in decades but was able to do it after checking out some DIY tutorials.

eta: grammar
  • Your dress is pretty! If it were me, I'd want the dress to be the main focus and the veil to add drama. I'd be nervous that a veil with a ton of detail might take away from the detail in the dress. Sometimes, less is more. What about a simple tulle veil? That's what I'm wearing (see pictures here: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1037311/dress-regret-help#latest).
  • Thanks for the idea of making my own - never thought about that! Can't say I have much experience sewing, but my mom used to a lot. Definitely something to think about :)
  • There's lots of tutorials online for DIY veils. What you described is very easy. Here's a url to a blog post /how to (I saved for my own reference). 

I like this because it details cutting the material simply but clearly for a cathedral veil. Just ignore the edging step. 
  • I had a lace dress and eventually chose a cathedral length with a ribbon edge.  It perfectly outlined me and didn't add anything busy to detract from the beautiful lace.  I'm selling mine if your interested.  I just got married so I don't have a pic of me to post, but this is what it looks like.  The bridal salon where I bought also added a small hook in the center so I could bustle it and wear it all night.  Let me know if your interested.  My email is ung712@gmail.com.  Either way happy hunting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards