Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

do I tell everyone that we're legally married?

Hi folks!

My fiance(technically husband) and I decided to have a civil ceremony before he left on deployment to Afghanistan. We are college students but paying for and planning a wedding for APRIL 2015 on our own. It just dawned on me that an officiant may have a problem with marrying us.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. Because technically aren't people already legally married before their ceremony anyway? Do I have to tell everyone that its a vowel renewal or can I just keep it at a wedding? Should I word my invitations differently? Are people going to come? Anyone have any advice ?

Re: do I tell everyone that we're legally married?

• Hi folks! My fiance(technically husband) and I decided to have a civil ceremony before he left on deployment to Afghanistan. We are college students but paying for and planning a wedding for APRIL 2015 on our own. It just dawned on me that an officiant may have a problem with marrying us. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Because technically aren't people already legally married before their ceremony anyway? Do I have to tell everyone that its a vowel renewal or can I just keep it at a wedding? Should I word my invitations differently? Are people going to come? Anyone have any advice ?
    You're planning a vow renewal, not a wedding.  It shouldn't look like a wedding, and yes, you should tell all your guests as well as your officiant that you're married.  No, people aren't already legally married before their ceremony.

• A few of our close friends are aware. Only people whose opinions we care for. No I haven't lied to an offciant .don't know where u got that from. I did not purposely withhold this information to hurt and deceive people. We just didn't think it was everyone's business. Fine we will do a vowel renewal and embarrass ourselves when talking them we got married because we were I'll informed about this process from the beginning. Had we known people would persecute and shun us we would have never done it. I don't feel like I should be robbed of feeling like a bride as far as not being able to wear a big pretty dress and walk down an aisle. I can't believe some women would even want that for another woman knowing what that moment is like and not be able to experience. That hurts. Thanks anyway

FYI anyone else with a rude comment can keep it to themselves
  • Southerngrl08Southerngrl08 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014

A few of our close friends are aware. Only people whose opinions we care for. No I haven't lied to an offciant .don't know where u got that from. I did not purposely withhold this information to hurt and deceive people. We just didn't think it was everyone's business. Fine we will do a vowel renewal and embarrass ourselves when talking them we got married because we were I'll informed about this process from the beginning. Had we known people would persecute and shun us we would have never done it. I don't feel like I should be robbed of feeling like a bride as far as not being able to wear a big pretty dress and walk down an aisle. I can't believe some women would even want that for another woman knowing what that moment is like and not be able to experience. That hurts. Thanks anyway

FYI anyone else with a rude comment can keep it to themselves
  • I don't understand why you wouldn't tell your family and friends that you are married! You have already had your wedding and I bet it was wonderful and very special to you and your husband.

Have a great party in April 2015, but you already had your wedding. Congratulations!
  • Yes, I think you absolutely should tell the truth and not lie. 
  • Agree with PPs. You and your husband can plan a great party to celebrate your marriage! I strongly encourage you to tell people asap that you are already married.
  • beethery said:

beethery said:

I tried to address this nicely. I really did. I had hope that this was gonna go well.

I was so, so wrong.
    I thought you were very nice. For a minute, I thought your account was hacked!

My whole deal is that everybody gets ONE nice comment out of me, until they're a dick. I am not gonna waste time being nice to them. OR, if I come into a post and they've already shown their ass, they don't get their one allotted nice comment.

I was just being snarky with you ;)
  • I'm so lost as to how you think everyone is married before someone performs their marriage ceremony? How would that possibly work?
    edited September 2014
    Lol I found this very informative.

<screenshot edited to exclude poster's name from WB by moderator>
    edited September 2014
    This as well. :)

edited September 2014
    And a whole slew of other more "informed" commentors. Turns out this is actually very COMMON in the military community which I already knew from the beginning. Hence the reason me speaking to my mother about it (which was also very accepting she'd already assumed we were bc of his deployment) she said its simple.... GET AN OFFICIANT WHO DOES SYMBOLIC CEREMONIES. Which I found today. Lol isn't that the craziest idea? So for everyone with the rude comments....shove it . my husband wants this wedding just as much as I do! Boom

edited September 2014
    We are young and are living our lives. Yes we are having a WEDDING and are going to enjoy it. And no it won't be a lie. . Lol I mean who sits at the computer all day looking for the next person to bully. Lonely fat old ladies whom probably aren't even married themselves. Please go back to your miserable little lives.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards