Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

do I tell everyone that we're legally married?

124»

Re: do I tell everyone that we're legally married?

• Options
    I almost flipped a switch when I went to page 3 instead of 2 and read all the comments on pancakes. PPDs - meh. Just tell the truth and get a less expensive dress. Pancakes? I recently found that lemon ricotta pancakes are the ones of my dreams. I make them on special occasions. With fresh blueberries. I put blueberries on everything.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Options
    @butterscotchjeans I was about to say the same thing!

I made some A-MA-ZING crepes the other day with marscapone cream and a blueberry/blackberry compote.  So frickin' good.  

http://diethood.com/blueberry-sauce-crepes-honey-whipped-cream/

I used powdered sugar with marscapone with some lemon juice instead of the honey whipped cream, added the blackberries and probably threw in a little more sugar than it called for with the compote.  But omg was it good.  

• Options
    I have to try that sometime; just declaring the change in topic, because that was awesome!

Alton Brown has a pancake recipe that we use.  It requires the use of actual buttermilk.  I had to throw out two half containers of congealed buttermilk yesterday when cleaning out the fridge to finish moving.  On the weekends when we're not in the process of moving, I usually make pancakes one of the days, and FH makes eggs on the other day.  We always have breakfast sausage with our pancakes, and lots of REAL maple syrup.
  • Options
    Gee, my mom and dad married when he was in the Air Force and could not get leave to go home for a big wedding with all their friends and extended family.  They had a small local wedding where he was stationed, with just family there.  No big redo later.

And 45 years later, they're still happily married.  They would never in their lives claim that that one ceremony they had that joined them as husband and wife in the US's eyes and in Judaism's eyes and in the eyes of all their family and friends, even those who weren't there, "wasn't a real wedding."

Advice to OP: Grow up.
  • Options
    Where the Hell was I when all of this went down? 

@beethery not only were you incredibly kind you DID PINK/PURPLE OMBRE for OP! Fuck me. What a waste. It was beautiful. I appreciated it.
  • Options
    Hi folks! My fiance(technically husband) and I decided to have a civil ceremony before he left on deployment to Afghanistan. We are college students but paying for and planning a wedding for APRIL 2015 on our own. It just dawned on me that an officiant may have a problem with marrying us. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Because technically aren't people already legally married before their ceremony anyway?
    Um, I wasn't legally married before our ceremony.  I don't know of anybody who was.  That is the purpose of a wedding ceremony. 

Do I have to tell everyone that its a vowel renewal or can I just keep it at a wedding?
    Yes, you have to tell people.  Lying is not cool.

Should I word my invitations differently?
    Yes, you send an invitation to a vow renewal and celebration of marriage, which is what you are having.

Are people going to come?
    If you're honest, sure.  My husband & I are actually attending a vow renewal / celebration of marriage next month.

Anyone have any advice ?
    Tell the truth.  You and your husband are happily married and are now planning to celebrate with your friends and family.

The funny thing is, it's so easy. Exactly what holyguacamole79 said. 

I have to assume she meant that people are married before the reception, not before the ceremony, which is true. Yes, people do a ceremony and then a reception. If you are honest and tell people you had to/decided to get married earlier than planned, but would like to invite them to celebrate your marriage, I doubt anyone will care. Personally, I don't even care if she wears a fancy dress, or if they would like to do a religious part of the ceremony if they haven't yet. It's really just the making believe that they aren't legally married that will cause the bad feelings. Just tell the truth and people will probably be forgiving and happy for you, even if they're not thrilled about the gap between the wedding and the reception. (Some people on here will not forgive this, but it's for pretty inflexible reasons. I would be pretty flexible with my friends and family.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dear Lord, just let this thread die a natural death!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    But...pancakes!
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Dear Lord, just let this thread die a natural death!

• Options
    Yes!  Be honest because people will be very upset to be lied to.  Also, everyone will understand why you are already married.  Personally, I would just have a reception.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    @emmaaa, please close this zombie thread.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards