Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Does the dress style matter?

I found a dress I love on top wedding (love that site!), and I showed it to a friend of mine who was immediately concerned it was too formal for a low-key Vegas wedding. At this point I’m still deciding on exactly what I want, but most likely a small outdoor ceremony at maybe the Flamingo gazebo or Chapel of the Flowers, or possibly either Tahiti Village or a Luv Bug wedding at Spring Mountain Ranch. Then either an in-suite reception, or a reception in the Wynn semi-private buffet room with a strip tour after. It would be about 30 people tops.

Here is the dress in question: http://www.topwedding.com/appliqued-organza-wedding-dress-with-asymmetrical-layers-hs461042.html

I tend to be of the opinion to just get what you like, regardless of whether it’s an indoor/outdoor/beach/garden type of dress. (Plus it’s Vegas, so to me anything goes! LOL). But I also don’t want to look silly or have people thinking I am wearing an inappropriate dress for the type of wedding it is.                             

Re: Does the dress style matter?

• Options
    I've seen a wide range of dress styles for Vegas weddings. I've seen anything from super formal to a white club dress. That dress is beautiful and so NOT too formal for Vegas.
  • Options
    You know, I was going to ask the same question, but here is my thought on it - if you want a specific dress, go for it! this is your wedding and regardless of where you have it, wear what makes you feel happy and beautiful! And by the way, i LOVE the gown, it is gorgeous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I feel much better - there's enough to stress about with wedding planning without having to worry about if the dress is appropriate too lol!! :)
  • Options
    I think it's great. Will you be doing a lot of walking? If you don't mind the bottom dragging and getting dirty, then go for it. It really is beautiful.
  • Options
    aggiespartanaggiespartan member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited September 2014

'If you don't mind the bottom dragging and getting dirty, then go for it. It really is beautiful."

This is what made me decide on a short dress.  I wanted to be able to wear it all day/night and I didn't want anything dragging on the ground on the strip.
  • Options

While I understand your friend's general idea (there is a dress that I LOVE but won't buy because it just seems perfect for the beach and not so much for Vegas), I don't think anyone at your ceremony will say or think that you wore the wrong dress because you're in Vegas. You are the bride and you will look beautiful and happy and personally that is all I have ever noticed or cared about as a wedding guest!

Your dress is beautiful.

• Options
    I think it's beautiful and that light bottom makes it look less formal than many gowns - it'd be great for a beach wedding too, IMO. Everyone else is right that brides wear all kinds of things in Vegas and no one looks out of place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do you, boo!
    Wear what YOU want. After all, it's YOUR wedding dress!
  • Options
    I am doing a detachable. Actually taking part if my mom's dress and incorporating it into the tulle I am having made.
  • Options
    I have been to Vegas more times than I can count and I can tell you, I have seen brides wearing everything from jeans and a hoodie, to full on ball gowns and everything in between. I think this dress is beautiful! Do what you want, after all, it is YOUR wedding day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @missbruiser That's a good point, I'm not sure yet how much walking we'll be doing but I'm considering altering the dress so that it has no train, seems like it'd be so much easier to get around without it.

@Futuremrshauger That's a great idea, I love that pic it will be beautiful!

Thank you so much everyone, I feel much better now!
  • Options
    I think I'll cut my train off too!
  • Options

I think the dress is gorgeous, fun, and totally appropriate for Vegas.  I think what makes it a bit too formal is the long cathedral veil.  You could do an elbow length veil, flowers, or something fun like a fascinator with feathers that would definitely go with Vegas.

My dress is an all lace mermaid dress with pears and crystal detailing and a train and i'm doing my wedding at the Paris Hotel and an insuite reception with 35 guests.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/shared/images/products/0/6524169c-2570-4e12-baaf-837ff366bfa6.enlargedFrontDetail.jpg

http://www.alfredangelo.com/shared/images/products/0/6524169c-2570-4e12-baaf-837ff366bfa6.enlargedBackDetail.jpg

• Options
    My gown does have a train, but I'm having it bustled for just this reason! During the photography time, I'll keep it down, but once I'm "on the street" or ready to dance I'll just bustle it. I'm glad I went with a formal wedding gown, you only live once!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    The long wedding gowns just seemed so heavy and overwhelming to me.  Even with them bustled, I think I would get sick of it pretty quickly. Trying those big dresses on was not fun for me at all.  I said something about the weight to one of the consultants and she told me all of their dresses were going to be that heavy.  I was pretty much done after she told me that.  
  • Options
    That dress is beautiful.  If you love it, no one else's opinion really matters....
  • Options
    That dress is gorgeous!  And no, it's not too farmal for Vegas.  I have two; one more formal and I am wearing a cathedral veil with it, and a short sassy one.  I have no issue with changing as the situation warrants.  The formal gown will be bustled though.

Go for it. You will be beautiful!
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Options
    that's the good thing about vegas I guess... its a little unconventional in itself... so anything goes! my dress isn't even white! (which im having a slight freak out about lately!)
  • Options
    @TH28754 That's a beautiful dress!

@AustralianSam I don't want a white dress either - that's another thing I love about Topwedding - you can order dresses in several different colors!
  • Options
    My dress is VERY similar to this one and I LOVE it. I actually wasn't even going to go with a wedding dress at all. I was just going to get a nice dress that was either white, ivory, beige, etc. I'm pretty practical and the thought of spending that much money for one day just didn't sit right with me. My fiance insisted I get a wedding dress so I did. My dress is almost identical to this one but it's not white. It's champaigne which compliments my skin tone so much better than white. My mother-in-law sews and she did my alterations and added a bustle. We considered removing the train but we decided to keep it since it looks so good for pictures. Get what YOU want, what YOU feel comfortable in and what makes YOU feel like a million bucks. It's YOUR day! As long as your husband-to-be is dressed the same then go for it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards