Wedding Etiquette Forum

"Normal" wedding after a small legal ceremony / "PPD"

Re: "Normal" wedding after a small legal ceremony / "PPD"

• jerkyanne said:
    The thing that really pisses me off about these PPDs is that the B&G got married at a courthouse because it benefits them, such as claiming each other as a spouse for insurance, ICU access, military pay, etc.

When it doesn't benefit them, however, they go back to saying, "Oh, he's my fiance. That wasn't the REAL wedding. We aren't REALLY married."

Well if you weren't "REALLY married", then why in the fucking fuck are you claiming him/her as your spouse in order to get insurance, military pay, ICU access, etc? The only way you get those things is by being REALLY married, so own up to your choice and act like a fucking adult. 

You want to be considered married in the eyes of the government but not by everybody else?

Well guess what, Princess Special Snowflakes - you can't have your cake and eat it too. To try to do so is selfish, immature, and stupid.
    Every word of this. I've known quite a few awesome weddings put together in less than 3 months for one of those reasons. (one in a month and a half. God bless her) none were super extravagant but they were weddings, and they were touching and nice. My FMiL and FFiL were JOP, yep still married. And they have nothing but fond memories of getting married. The points in the end is that you are gaining a spouse. That should be most important. Every thing else is just a bonus.
    Exactly. My SIL planned her wedding in a month. One. Month. It was outdoors at a lake, and there were attendants, a dress, a cake, and so on. Not that any of those things are actually required for a 'real' wedding, mind you. But she wanted them and she had them. At her wedding. WHEN SHE GOT MARRIED.
  • jerkyanne said:
    The thing that really pisses me off about these PPDs is that the B&G got married at a courthouse because it benefits them, such as claiming each other as a spouse for insurance, ICU access, military pay, etc.

When it doesn't benefit them, however, they go back to saying, "Oh, he's my fiance. That wasn't the REAL wedding. We aren't REALLY married."

Well if you weren't "REALLY married", then why in the fucking fuck are you claiming him/her as your spouse in order to get insurance, military pay, ICU access, etc? The only way you get those things is by being REALLY married, so own up to your choice and act like a fucking adult. 

You want to be considered married in the eyes of the government but not by everybody else?

Well guess what, Princess Special Snowflakes - you can't have your cake and eat it too. To try to do so is selfish, immature, and stupid.
    Every word of this. I've known quite a few awesome weddings put together in less than 3 months for one of those reasons. (one in a month and a half. God bless her) none were super extravagant but they were weddings, and they were touching and nice. My FMiL and FFiL were JOP, yep still married. And they have nothing but fond memories of getting married. The points in the end is that you are gaining a spouse. That should be most important. Every thing else is just a bonus.
    I have a military wife friend who got married about three weeks after the engagement.  They had a lovely wedding complete with a long white gown for her, beautiful professional photographs, a wedding party, and a decent sized group of family and friends - at least 40-50.
  • edited September 2014
  • edited September 2014
  • Knottie66377266 said: He does. He also understands the difference between a legal contract and a spiritual wedding, and that while we signed a legal document, our wedding is what will take place in the church.

You don't have to agree and can call me, and that's fine. Calling people princesses and suggesting the only reason to have a church ceremony in this case is to play dress-up is also rude.
    Why, exactly did you "have" to get
    married before you play dress up?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @manateehugger I'm just going to love everything you ever say because of your sig pic.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @manateehugger I'm just going to love everything you ever say because of your sig pic.

My love of manatees was enabled by you!!! I should start sending you daily manatee memes.
    My love of manatees was enabled by you!!! I should start sending you daily manatee memes.
    That is exactly what you should do.

You realize I will be forever disappointed in you if you don't get a pic with manatees when you go on vacay, right?

You realize I will be forever disappointed in you if you don't get a pic with manatees when you go on vacay, right? 

STUCK IN THE BOX AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh don;t worry. I will be forever disappointed in myself. I'm not above molesting wildlife in order to get a rad picture.
  • Wow, I have to say I'm disappointed in the nastiness of some of the responses here. I've really appreciate much of the advice Knotties have given, however, I'm likely to avoid this place in the future.

I appreciated OP's comments. My FI and I had to have a legal union, but we didn't tell our family, and we don't look at this as our "wedding date" because to us the wedding in the church, in the presence of God and our families, is our wedding. We refer to each other as "fiancee" and will until our wedding. I don't understand why signing the legal paper, when we truly believe a wedding takes place during at the church, is offensive?

What you are doing is absolutely disgusting and I hope your family finds out, especially because if I read it right on another thread, your family is paying for this lie?! You should be ashamed of yourself. If you were my child and did this I would disown you so fast! And if you are so religious, how can you validate lying to your loved ones? Isn't "thou shall not lie" one of the Ten Commandments? Shame on you knottienumbers. Shame on you.
    You are letting your family PAY for your PPD?  And deceiving them into thinking they are paying for a WEDDING?

Shame.  Shame on you.  This is one of the most deplorable things I've ever read on TK.
    THIS. I'm not one to be affected personally by stuff that happens here, but this is truly disgusting. 
  • My parents got married at the courthouse with just me in attendance. Then we went to a sports bar and met up with my grandparents. Mom wore jeans and Montley Crue t-shirt, dad also was in jeans but sported a Kiss shirt. I wore a Harley t-shirt and jeans as well, I was about 6. They didn't realize they'd need a witness, so they grabbed someone from the hall to be their witness since I was clearly too young.

I'm not sure there's an amount of money you could pay them to have them re-do it. 

Pretty sure this is the most kick ass thing I have read on the internet in awhile.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards