Wedding Etiquette Forum

No longer need advice.

Re: No longer need advice.

• Andplusalso, several people told you that no, you don't have to get her a corsage. So I don't understand your freak out.

Nothing to do with you. It's that people don't read the posts and keep ignorantly posting.
  • Then don't give her one. I don't understand why you came here and asked anything if you had already made up your mind.

To see if there was any compelling reason against my opinion. I've never posted her, and should've kept it that way (for the most part). I do thank those who gave me good advice.
  • mrsr101214mrsr101214 member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2014
    perdonami said:

cbroyland said:

That's actually not true. I was trying to give background. I have been more than nice to her-took her (and treated her) to her prewedding mani and pedi and also did all of their music for their ceremony and reception. I have invited her to dinner and been nothing to pleasant with with her-inviting her out for an afternoon when she was around recently. I realize that while we don't see her very often-she is going to be a part of our lives, so I have made the effort. She is a nice person, but I feel it's awkward to get her a corsage as we barely know her.

Okay, in all honesty with how kind you have been to her, she may now be expecting one. I understand you may have good intentions, but you can't dispense kindness only when you want too. Not giving her a corsage at this point may be confusing and hurt her feelings. 

You also keep going back and forth from saying your FI is the one who doesn't want her to havea corsage and than saying that you feel too awkward giving her one. Again, I ask if there is something else going on here besides just not knowing her as well as you would like too?

Good point. She's from a very small town in a different country, so she is unaccustomed to our traditions-so I don't think she will be expecting one. When I say "I" I mean "we". Thank you.
  • mrsr101214mrsr101214 member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2014
    jerkyanne said:

cbroyland said:

Then don't give her one. I don't understand why you came here and asked anything if you had already made up your mind.

To see if there was any compelling reason against my opinion. I've never posted her, and should've kept it that way (for the most part). I do thank those who gave me good advice.
    Every one gave you good advice. You just happened to like some of it more than others.

I respectfully disagree, as some people appeared to be commenting in an effort to antagonize me. But thanks doll!
  • So why don't you get corsages for the other important people in your life?
  • cbroyland said:
    That's actually not true. I was trying to give background. I have been more than nice to her-took her (and treated her) to her prewedding mani and pedi and also did all of their music for their ceremony and reception. I have invited her to dinner and been nothing to pleasant with with her-inviting her out for an afternoon when she was around recently. I realize that while we don't see her very often-she is going to be a part of our lives, so I have made the effort. She is a nice person, but I feel it's awkward to get her a corsage as we barely know her.
    I feel like wearing some flowers at your wedding is less awkward to do for someone you barely know than buying them a mani-pedi and doing all the music for their wedding.

You can do what you want obviously, but I dont think it's a big deal to give your FIL's wife some flowers to wear.
  • So I can have 20 people with corsages? No thanks. That seems beyond silly.
  • cbroyland said:
    So I can have 20 people with corsages? No thanks. That seems beyond silly.
    meh maybe it's just me, I had a ton of left over flowers from my costco flower package so we had many family members with corsages and hand ties.

They are just flowers after all....
  • I was actually surprised it took this long.

• cbroyland said:

So I can have 20 people with corsages? No thanks. That seems beyond silly.

meh maybe it's just me, I had a ton of left over flowers from my costco flower package so we had many family members with corsages and hand ties.

They are just flowers after all....

We are having corsages for our moms as well as for readers, gift-bearers, and anyone else close to the family (godmothers, my half sister, my brother's gf). There will be like 10 women with them. I think it's nbd, just a nice gesture.
  • edited September 2014
    jellybeann - same here.  If memory serves me, our list of corsages was our readers (one of which was my Godmother) and DH's Godmother.  Our mothers carried a nosegay (small bouquet)  each.  Looking back, I wish we had also given corsages to DH's SILs (he is one of three sons, and we are close to the brothers' wife / girlfriend).  Neither of us have any grandparents still living. 
  • This needs to go on the bingo cards somewhere - how to word it?  Identical threads started by SS an hour and a half apart, and both deleted shortly after posting?  There's got to be a better shorthand.

• I think it hurts nothing for you to give her the corsage.  It's a nice gesture on your part, and a step in establishing that you respect the new relationship she has with you.  She might not expect it, considering that she's from a different country, but she will surely appreciate it.
  • Viczaesar said:
    This needs to go on the bingo cards somewhere - how to word it?  Identical threads started by SS an hour and a half apart, and both deleted shortly after posting?  There's got to be a better shorthand.
    Double Dirty Delete? DDD, that should fit nicely in a bingo square.
    So mote it be.

• Oh FFS, OP, are you going to experience spontaneous combustion if you give the lady a damn flower?  Does getting one more flower just utterly break your budget? 

I am having exactly 20 bouts and corsages, and it's not a huge wedding.  But between the wedding party, parents, and grandparents, that's just the way the cookie crumbled.  Get over yourself!

• Wow, who knew there could be so much intensity about a corsage.  It is a corsage, not a million dollars.

FWIW I would get her one because she is your FI step-mother and new wife to your FFIL.  This person, who you may not feel close with now, will be in your life for a long time to come, so to me it just makes sense to get her a corsage.

But I would suggest asking each person who you are wanting to give flowers to what kind of flowers they want.  Some love pin on corsages, others love corsages that go around their wrist. Others would rather have a small nosegay or something they can pin onto their clutch.  So if you are going to spend money on flowers for people you may as well make sure that you get them something that they will prefer.

• Thinking about it, I don't even remember who got corsages at our wedding.
  • I'll just leave this here.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards