Wedding Reception Forum

Menu Help! Ideas needed!

val102515val102515 member
First Comment
edited September 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
Okay, as someone who is new to planning a wedding AND someone who has been to only a couple weddings, I am really struggling to figure out exactly what I want to do for our menu options. I'm vegetarian myself, as well as my mom and one of my bridesmaids. I thought about having a chicken, steak, and vegetarian option, but then I thought about offering a couple of different Italian dishes as choices because I love pasta. What are everyones thoughts for entrees? Oh, and what are some hor doervres that are a big hit?

Re: Menu Help! Ideas needed!

• Chicken, steak, and a vegetarian option sound good. Lots of people like pasta, so you could do something like lasagna (meat sauce and/or non-meat sauce). I find lasagna to be quite filling.

For hors d'oeuvres, you can't go wrong with a veggie tray and cracker/cheese/meat tray. You could also do hummus and pita as another protein option. Shrimp is popular if you can afford it. Meatballs on skewers. 
  • First, are you wanting plated or buffet?
    *********************************************************************************

• I think a lot depends on other details. I need more info, OP! When & where is your wedding? I'm a big believer of using seasonal ingredients. 
  • The wedding is in Ohio on 10/25/15.  I like that idea a lot too!
  • I was planning on doing plated.. though buffet would definitely offer more options.
  • val102515 said:
    I was planning on doing plated.. though buffet would definitely offer more options.
    It does, but people hate waiting in line. ;)

You could compromise and do Family Style. All of the entrees and sides are brought to each table, and people dish out however much they want. It allows people to sample a little bit of everything and/or pile on their favorites.

I also like the idea of doing seasonal dishes, @ElcaB.
  • val102515 said:
    I was planning on doing plated.. though buffet would definitely offer more options.
    Either will work if done right. Obviously the larger the wedding, you should be concerned about having enough servers and serving hot food (plated) and people waiting in line (buffet). Both are addressable. We had 175 people and did a buffet/stations. It didn't take very long to serve everyone - we had multiple stations and servers so people didn't dawdle. If we had one buffet line and no servers, it would have taken all night!

I like @wrigleyville's suggestion of family style if your venue offers it and you're looking for a happy medium.

Anyway. Your menu. First you should talk to your caterer and see what they offer. If you have a large budget, you could probably get them to do something custom. You have a fall wedding and you want seasonal stuff. I'd offer at least 2 main entrees, 3 if it's in the budget:

- acorn squash stuffed with seasoned wild rice, apples, walnuts, dried cherries, tofu "sausage", pumpkin seeds and cheese (unless you have vegans in the house) - this can be your vegetarian and GF dish
    - roasted herbed chicken stuffed with apples, ham and cheese with a sage vinegrette dressing
    - beef roast (or steak if in the budget) with red wine au jus on pumpkin polenta

Your sides could be:
    - lemon garlic green beans
    - roasted veggies (beets, carrots, etc.)
    - whipped sweet potatoes
    - assorted breads/dinner rolls w/ butter
    - salad
    *********************************************************************************

• Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? We will share a wedding anniversary :) 

Southernbelle has some great suggestions. Squash, apples/cider, sage, cranberries, and pumpkin are great flavors!
  • That's awesome! I loooove fall and I think it will be the perfect time of year.  My birthday is 10/23 too.  Who could ask for a better present :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards