Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Anyone making their bridesmaid dresses?

mrssurselymrssursely member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited September 2014 in Attire & Accessories Forum
My FMIL is willing, and has the talent, to make the bridesmaid dresses. I only need two and I'm wondering if others have found this to be a more cost effective option, at this point I'm thinking chiffon fabric, long, and with straps. Also, any pattern recommendations?

Re: Anyone making their bridesmaid dresses?

• Options
    I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where the bride had her mother, who was a seamstress, make our dresses as she could not find bridesmaid dresses in the colours she wanted (teal and fuchsia). I personally feel like it ended up being similar to what we would have paid ordering the dresses from a bridal store, if not a little more money. We had knee length satin dresses and the cost of the materials was $225. Of course, we did not have to pay for alterations, but it still seemed a little high to me.

The bride let us pick our own patterns, and I got mine from a fabric supply store. It was a v-neck halter dress.
  • Options
    I have never made a bridesmaid dress, but I do sew. Particularly with more formal fabrics (including chiffon, and of course that also necessitates a lining of some kind), it is more expensive than buying a ready-made garment. Fabric ain't cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards