Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridesmaid wants to bring twins dress shopping

renshouserenshouse member
5 Love Its First Comment
edited September 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
This scenario happened a month ago but it has bothered me and I needed to get advice/perspective from someone who isnt family. When I picked my bridesmaids I ended up picking my future brother in laws gf (we will call her sally). We arent super close but we are going to be family and I thought it would be a nice gesture. My FBIL and her just had twins (they will be 6 months when we go dress shopping for both my dress and the bridesmaids). I had planned a date around my FMIL schedule so she should come (its a 2 hour drive to the bridal store). She decided she didnt want to come (its not her thing and I dont take offence). At this time I messaged Sally so we could pick a different date. She ended up telling me that if my FMIL didnt go, she couldnt because she needed her to watch the twins (i didnt think the twins would be coming, they will be a handful and a distraction) Also I should mention that she had already told me she couldnt do the bachelorette (she told my sister she didnt want to be away from the twins and told me it was due to money, which i told her was okay and i honestly wasnt upset) I was extremely polite and mention how FMIL did not want to go but how Sally still needed to come because we needed to pick the bridesmaid dresses (I am allowing them to pick with my approval. we are doing multiple styles). She said that she had to bring the twins and that she couldnt watch them on her own. (I am not making my other bridesmaids and mother watch her twins as they will be busy as well). I tried to come up with alternatives: my FMIL offered to babysit, my fiance offered to help his brother watch them since twins can be a handful. She ended up saying that she couldnt leave them with anyone because she is breastfeeding and needs to feed them every 2 hours and it would be unfair to her twins and her to give them a bottle (im not a mom but every 2 hours seems a lot. I know all children are different. I didnt think a bottle would be a hasel but i honestly wouldnt know). I tried to be polite and offer alternatives and she became really rude and defensive. I ultimately told her that we could not bring the twins as no one will be able to watch them and I would be prefer not having distractions. She took offence to this and immediately "quit" as my bridesmaid. She called my FMIL and told her everything, im very private so i did not appreciate this. She also deleted me and my family off facebook (i know i shouldnt be upset about that but i am and its a little childish of her) I spoke with my FMIL and she is not mad at me and doesnt think I did anything wrong, she thinks in the end it was good she quit. My FMIL doesnt really like her. My mom and sister and other bridesmaids all agreed that I had the right to tell her she couldnt bring the twins, I also spoke with other moms and brides and they all agreed. Was I in the wrong? I just have been stressed out and have been looking forward to dress shopping and didnt want any distractions. It also doesnt help that the day after the argument she wouldnt stop texting me and harrassing me at work. I feel terrible because at family events its been awkward for me and I dont want to cause drama but i feel as though she should have tried to come up with a solution as well. Any advice would be appreciated

Re: Bridesmaid wants to bring twins dress shopping

• Dress shopping isn't an event. It's not a hosted thing you get to choose guests for.

She was probably being defensive because every time she explained not wanting to leave them because of breastfeeding, you kept trying to overstep your boundaries. I would have probably quit too, tbh.
  • It was rude of you to tell her she couldn't bring her babies. Unless the store has a no babies rule, there is no reason they couldn't come. Since she was worried about handling them on her own, you should have offered to let her look at dresses online, on her own time, or at her own convenience. Everyone does not need to shop together. You are expecting too much.
  • Lol looks like I have the unpopular opinion here!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I appreciate the honestly. I do want to say that while I am doing a mismatched style I am still and choosing the dresses, a lot of brides dont even allow the bridesmaids to have a say. She did not want to shop online because she wanted to try them on. Also, I was going to be picking my dress and wanted the girls to be there because its a big deal to me. I guess I didnt understand why the father couldnt watch the kids (again I am not a mom so I really dont understand) She didnt try to come up with alternatives, such as going on another day maybe after I had picked my dress and it was only her and I, so that I could watch the kids. She was really set on that if my FMIL couldn't go, she couldnt and that that would mean she couldnt be in the wedding party. 
    I posted it here for a reason so I really do appreciate everyone's responses. 
  • There is a lot going on in your post.  Paragraphs are your friends (although TK frequently eats them, so I forgive you if they were originally there).

1) Bridesmaids don't have to be there to chose a dress.  You can send them to the website or send them pictures of the dress and let them choose. (Dresses should be within the budget you have previously discussed in private with your bridesmaids).  Such a huge shopping trip frankly was a little unnecessary.  

2) You should only chose your nearest and dearest to be bridesmaids.  Choosing your FBIL's GF was a nice gesture, but not necessary.  

3) You should understand that new mom's (and especially of twins) have a lot going on.  For her to take out 6+ hours (4 hours driving time plus maybe 2 hours of shopping) is a huge deal and inconvenience for her.  Also, being a bridesmaid might have been just a little more than she could handle at the moment.  I don't even know if I could find the time to dedicate to a marathon of shopping like that.  

4) Is she being a little immature with the deleting of facebook and calling the other family members?  Yes, but it's over and done with.  Move forward and have a good time. She sounds like drama, so fighting back will only serve to create more drama.

It sounds like she was looking for a way out.  You guys weren't particularly close, and being in a wedding is a huge commitment.  You could have honored her with a corsage at the wedding instead (and can still do so if you choose).  

I totally understand where you are coming from having twins at the salon.  A few months ago my best friend's bridesmaid brought her one year old, and she ran around everywhere sticking things in her mouth. The sales associate was horrified when the baby started to pull and suck on the veils.  It was annoying.  BUT, a six month old won't even really be walking yet.  As long as she was tending to them, there really wasn't any reason not to have them.  

• Lol looks like I have the unpopular opinion here!

Well, I do agree you need to decline some things if you are unwilling to leave your kids. I don't think shopping is one of them. From the op, it sounded like the bride was the one who said she didn't want the other bms babysitting, not that the mother suggested it. The mother thought FMIL was coming, which I don't think is unreasonable (though i think she should have cleared it with FMIL first).

When I was a new mother and still breastfeeding I hated pumping and my son eventually began to prefer bottles. So starting bottles when you are not ready is not a decision i think anyone but yourself can make. And bridesmaid dress shopping for a ss is not one i would pick.
  • Sorry, I had paragraphs but after I posted it they went away. I know it all seems confusing. The reason we were all going is that the girls wanted to try on the dresses before they picked but I also needed to make sure they all went together (some may not be the exact same colour). I also wanted them to be with me to help me pick my dress. I really do feel bad about the whole situation and wish I had handled it differently, I was very polite and as soon as she started with name calling I just couldnt do it. I didnt kick her out but when I wouldnt give in (and by the sounds of it I should have) she quit. Its over said and done with now I just hate conflict and hate having any type of drama. I had received complaints from my MOH about her being very bossy and rude about her ideas for the jack and jill and the bachelorette, which is why I didnt let it slide.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    So you've already asked all these people who you claim agree with you (or that's what they say to your face at least) - so why are you seeking validation from "the internet"?  What are you going to gain if we all say you were so horribly wronged in this scenario when she's already quit and the damage has been done?

This is a new mother of newborn twins.  One baby is a lot of work, let alone two.  And whether she breastfeeds or gives a bottle is none of your business.  She's the parent, she gets to decide how she raises her children.  When you have children, you get to decide for them.  Most of my friends are new moms - there is no way they would hire a sitter for dress shopping or spend a significant time away from their child while still breastfeeding.  And even those that have gone back to work basically have to schedule everything around their pumping schedule.  But regardless - not your child, so not your call and you majorly overstepped some boundaries there.

So the crux of your post is that you have now alienated a future family member who will be in your life for as long as both of your marriages last for the sake of turning clothes shopping for your one day party into an "event". 

Apologize.  Tell her that you're sorry things ended up this way and apologize for not being empathetic to the demands of being a mother to newborn twins.  Tell her that you still very much look forward to seeing her and her husband at the wedding.  Make a nice casserole that can be easily reheated and bring it over to her house as a peace offering because she's a sleep-deprived mother to newborn twins and is probably too tired to cook, let alone turn dress shopping into an all day event.

ETA:  The basis for my answer is that OP never should have let it get that far in the first place, imo, so what happened afterwards is a bit irrelevant even if the bridesmaid could have handled it better.  After she said she couldn't leave the kids alone and wouldn't be able to go along with this now that FMIL wasn't coming would have been the place to say "Gee, I really wanted the whole bridal party there, but coordinating seems to be difficult with how young the kids are.  How do you feel about just picking out a dress on your own time?  Or, maybe we can have a texting date and we can text you pictures of the dresses we're trying on so you can see them and weigh in?"  There were so many ways to handle this gracefully before it became the trainwreck that it did.
  • jerkyanne said:

Lol looks like I have the unpopular opinion here!

Well, I do agree you need to decline some things if you are unwilling to leave your kids. I don't think shopping is one of them. From the op, it sounded like the bride was the one who said she didn't want the other bms babysitting, not that the mother suggested it. The mother thought FMIL was coming, which I don't think is unreasonable (though i think she should have cleared it with FMIL first).

When I was a new mother and still breastfeeding I hated pumping and my son eventually began to prefer bottles. So starting bottles when you are not ready is not a decision i think anyone but yourself can make. And bridesmaid dress shopping for a ss is not one i would pick.
    Read my point of clarification. But supposedly the girlfriend is the one that stated twice she can't watch her kids on her own. That's what I based my comment on.

I'm not a total unreasonable baby hater!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• jerkyanne said:

Read my point of clarification. But supposedly the girlfriend is the one that stated twice she can't watch her kids on her own. That's what I based my comment on.

I know I'm TOTALLY derailing here, but I Googled "baby hater" to find a gif for PGL and...this is what appeared.

I'm equal parts amused and terrified.

That child is on a mission!

• huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    I also think you're both wrong.

Did anyone notice the former bridesmaid's twins will be 6 months old when they go dress shopping. I am not a mom, but don't babies start eating solid foods at 6 months, therefore breastfeeding every 2 hours seems a little much for that age (but I could be wrong).

Also, it's rude for the BM to expect her babies' grandmother or any other BM to watch her children for her. But the OP should have said something like, I understand this will be difficult for you why don't I just tell you the designer and color and you can pick your own dress.

For OP and lurkers, it is not necessary to have all your bridesmaids go dress shopping with you or for everyone to go shopping together for their bridesmaid dresses.

I only had 3 bridesmaids, and I only went with my MOH to look at dresses. Once she picked her dress, we told the other 2 what the designer was and they picked their own dress in the appropriate color. I didn't approve their dresses, they picked their own. They looked great!

I also only took my sisters and my mom dress shopping with me. You do not want to do everything at once, it will be way too overwhelming. And depending on how many bm you have, it might be impractical to have that many people 

• We are all going together because the bridal shop is a long drive that we dont want to have to make twice. (we all live in the same small town together and the store is about 2.5 hours away) I want to be there when the girls pick their dresses and they want to be there when i get mine. 

The wedding is next July but with winter coming up we dont want to leave it until next March to get theirs and none of us want to drive on a busy highway when its a blizzard outside (we live in Canada). Its already snowing in some parts of Canada here so we are cutting it close for winter as is.

They may not order them right away but we are the kind of girls who like to get each others opinions on how the dresses look before we pick one. I havent decided on a style yet (each of the girls has a different build and I want them in something they like) and we might be doing 2 colours, we havent decided.

I would have been completely open to her not coming this time and going another day with her to help with the babies but she did not want to budge is my FMIL couldnt come. She seemed shocked when I told her that FMIL did not want to come.
  • renshouse said:
    We are all going together because the bridal shop is a long drive that we dont want to have to make twice. (we all live in the same small town together and the store is about 2.5 hours away) I want to be there when the girls pick their dresses and they want to be there when i get mine. 

The wedding is next July but with winter coming up we dont want to leave it until next March to get theirs and none of us want to drive on a busy highway when its a blizzard outside (we live in Canada). Its already snowing in some parts of Canada here so we are cutting it close for winter as is.

They may not order them right away but we are the kind of girls who like to get each others opinions on how the dresses look before we pick one. I havent decided on a style yet (each of the girls has a different build and I want them in something they like) and we might be doing 2 colours, we havent decided.

I would have been completely open to her not coming this time and going another day with her to help with the babies but she did not want to budge is my FMIL couldnt come. She seemed shocked when I told her that FMIL did not want to come.
    Depending on the designer, you can get the same dress in different stores. My sister got her BM dress where I got my wedding dress because she got a discount. The other 2 bridesmaids got their dresses at a different store in a different state. 

For my sister's wedding, all 3 of us BMs got our dresses in 3 different stores in 3 different states. 

You are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

• The girls (there are 3) want to try on the dress before ordering it. There are no stores nearby to try them on or order it from or else we would love not to drive 2.5 hours. We haven't chosen a designer because the girls may not be wearing the same designer. I also gave the girls the options of going to stores in town and maybe finding sundresses instead of official bridesmaids dresses and they chose not to.
  • renshouse said:
    We are all going together because the bridal shop is a long drive that we dont want to have to make twice. (we all live in the same small town together and the store is about 2.5 hours away) I want to be there when the girls pick their dresses and they want to be there when i get mine. 

renshouse said:

Well, now sounds like a perfect time to practice not being so co-dependent on each other.  Just because they WANT something to go a certain way doesn't mean you make it that way to the exclusion of others.  Because clearly one bridesmaid didn't want to go shopping as badly as she needed to be available for her newborn twins.  Traveling with one newborn is a three ring circus in and of itself - two is just a logistical nightmare, so of course she wants help.

Something like David's Bridal sounds ideal - you can pick the color(s), they can pick the styles that work best for their body types (because really, unless they've never worn a dress before, they can take a pretty good guess without trying on the exact dress whether empire waist or sleeveless or a halter top or an a-line is going to look good on them).  But again, moot point - the one with the twins already quit so just apologize to her for letting things get out of hand and take the rest of your bridesmaids to the store like you want.
  • renshouserenshouse member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    Yes we are going to davids bridal. It's 2.5 hours away. It's normal for someone to want to try on the dress before spending a hundred dollars on it. I also think its normal to want my best friends there to help me pick out a dress. Its a fun thing that we've all been looking forward too. We never exluded anyone, we had all agreed going up at once together would be the easiest thing. I never told her she had to come that day, that was just the original plan and she was okay with it when she though the FMIL was coming
  • Davids bridal has a ton of dresses online and a lot of them have a pretty easy return process. Just make sure you look at the return policy before you order.
  • jerkyanne said:

I was more trying to make my point clearer, not imply you're a baby hater.
  • renshouse said:
    Yes we are going to davids bridal. It's 2.5 hours away. It's normal for someone to want to try on the dress before spending a hundred dollars on it. I also think its normal to want my best friends there to help me pick out a dress. Its a fun thing that we've all been looking forward too. We never exluded anyone, we had all agreed going up at once together would be the easiest thing. I never told her she had to come that day, that was just the original plan and she was okay with it when she though the FMIL was coming

Did she indicate that she wanted to go with you to pick out a dress? I didn't plan my dress shopping around anyone's schedules except for me, my mom, and my sister. That was it. No entourage is necessary.

Im also in the camp that you're both in the wrong.  If I had 6 month old twins (who would be over 1 and most likely walking by the time of your wedding), I would have declined an invitation to be in a bridal party.   She also should have realized that a dress shopping excursion would not be the best time to bring twin infants.  I can appreciate the. We'd to breast feed, though.

I'm sorry ...future brother in laws girlfriend?  That is a bit of a stretch to me.  And what if they had broken up between now and the wedding?  
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    renshouse said:
    No one said it wasn't "normal" (whatever that is) to want it.  We're saying that it isn't 100% completely necessary and there were ways around it once you should have realized that the needs of tiny human beings completely dependent on a grown human being have to trump an all day clothes shopping excursion.  As the grown-ups in the situation, it was up to you all to adjust your vision and wants and not make the tiny dependent humans change their routine and needs to fit the vision.
  • Weighing in on the kid thing...

Yes, newborns "typically" eat/nurse every three-four hours.
    She has two of them, so it's absolutely understandable to say every two hours, depending on how she feeds them. (So, one now, time for milk supply to catch up a little, one in a couple of hours).

Babies in no way should be expected to be on solids at six months, this is absolutely parents choice, and with twins, they may well be later starting. Even if they are on solids... Newly introduced means a couple spoonfuls of apple purée along with regular milk feeds, not a three course meal. (Not that anyone suggested that, just making a point).

As a breast feeding mother, "leaving breast milk home in a bottle for dad to feed" is absolutely no way as easy as that. It's an extremely personal choice, and not always possible.
    My son had no issue at all going from breast to bottle and back as he wished. My friend had twin girls. She breast fed for three months. One twin went straight on the bottle first go. She breast fed the other girl for nearly five more months. The second baby never had a bottle. Went from the breast to solids and sippy cups.

Stating that you need to breast feed six month olds every two hours is somewhat OTT, I would say, however, as a new (and probably severely sleep-deprived) mother, I can see why she would be worrying about that.

Expecting to take babies everywhere-all-the-time-for-every-outing is ridiculous. You make the choice to have children, you learn to accept that children are not always welcome/able to attend every event, and you learn to either make arrangements for said children/events, or miss out on those events.

Ultimately, in all that... I think there was wrong on both sides. Either, let it ruin the friendship, or apologise and move on.
  • renshouse said:

I agree with a lot of the other posters that you both have some blame on you.  You for the fact that you are making assumptions about what/when her babies can and need to eat. Her for making the assumption that FMIL can watch the kids. I don't think it is a battle that either of you can really win because opinions on raising children differ - especially when one person has twins and the other person does not. I personally do not have kids.  However, after my sister had twins while also have a 1.5 I always check myself when I make assumptions about what can and cannot be done with kids, but also what she should and should not expect from family.

With that being said, I'd like to make a quick comment about the above post. It sounds like your FBIL GF just might not be as interested and into the dress shopping as you are. To keep the peace (or get it back) - I'd just accept the fact she can't make it, move on and send her her options.  This way it is on her to get the dress and she can do it on her own schedule. This point is always reiterated - but the ONLY expectations of a bridesmaid is to get the dress and show up the day of.  If she fails to get the dress - she isn't in the wedding anymore (if she ends up coming back - as I do recall you mentioned that she quit).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards