Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding on a Friday?

I'm booking 10 months in advance, but all the Saturdays for my venue is booked except for one three weeks sooner than I was planning. Should I go for the earlier date or will a Friday be ok? Only some of the guests are going to be traveling from out of state. I don't want to inconvenience anyone.

Re: Wedding on a Friday?

• There is nothing wrong with having a Friday wedding, but less people may attend.

My husband doesn't work a normal 9-5 M-F schedule, so it's actually easier for him to get a Friday off than a Saturday.  I work 9-5 M-F but I also have a pretty flexible job, so I can just leave early or take a day off no problem. You need to think about your guest list and what works best, but ulimately it's up to you.

• Three weeks doesn't matter much. I attended a Friday wedding for a friend out of state, but I was able to make a vacation out of the trip. Check with your VIPs.
  • I would double check with the VIPs.  I had a wedding on a Wednesday.  It did cut down a bit on who could come, but all the VIPs could come (parents, siblings, grandparents, most relatives except some who couldn't come regardless of when the wedding was).

H and I work an odd schedule.  So getting either Friday or Saturday off would be equally difficult.  We would prefer a Sunday or Monday wedding.
  • In terms of etiquette there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Friday wedding. However, it may be hard for some guests to attend if it's on Friday. If you go for a Friday, check with your VIPs to make sure they can all make it before you book.

10 months...that means you're looking at a date in July/August, right? Three weeks really won't make a big difference. You will still have plenty of time to plan.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Agree with PPs. Some guests might not be able to attend a Friday wedding due to their work schedules, but if you VIPS can be there and that's the date you'd rather use, then go for the Friday. If you know you have a lot of people that you really want to have be there that would have issues making a Friday work, then the date 3 weeks earlier might be a better idea.
  • I think as long as you check with your VIPs and as long as you are ok with people not being able to make it, you're fine!

Me personally, if it was a Friday evening wedding in town I would need to take a half day off work in order to get ready properly. If it was OOT I'd need to take more time off. I personally don't get much vacation time, so I would only be willing to take time off for a wedding if it were for an immediate family member (I'm talking sibling or parent). Everyone is different though, I'm just providing perspective from someone with little vacation time.

I'm with this too. 
  • Three weeks isn't that different from the original plan.  As a guest, even if the wedding was local, a Friday would still require me to take off a half day from work.  Or decline because I couldn't get time off that day.  Pick the earlier Saturday, hands down!
    This^

Friday weddings are tricky for everyone to make, not just OOT guests.  Nothing wrong with them from an etiquette standpoint, but you may get more declines.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• You will get more declines for a Friday wedding and it's usually more inconvenient for the people who do attend. It's not against etiquette, but those are just a couple of things to consider.

The difference between 9.25 months and 10 months of planning is basically nothing in the big scheme of things. There are people who plan weddings in 3 months without a problem. 

If it were me, I'd absolutely book the Saturday versus the Friday if you have the choice.
    *********************************************************************************

• Have you considered a Sunday wedding? They are usually cheaper, more available, and no more "inconvenient" than a Friday wedding for your guests. In fact, for people that have to travel, they'd had to most likely take a day off of work for a Saturday wedding anyway - and traveling on Saturday/Monday for a Sunday wedding is significantly less expensive than traveling on Friday/Sunday for a Saturday event.
  • I would just take the earlier date. It's only 3 weeks, that isn't that much. I'd only go to a Friday wedding if it was local or my brother or best friend's wedding.

• I would just take the earlier date. It's only 3 weeks, that isn't that much. I'd only go to a Friday wedding if it was local or my brother or best friend's wedding.
    This. I decline Friday weddings unless they are one of my best friends or a relative who is like a sibling to me.

9.25 months is still lots and lots of time. You really aren't going to do that much before that time period anyway, other than booking a venue and looking for a dress.
  • I would encourage the Saturday date over a Friday.  In general I think you will get a much better turnout, as PP's have mentioned even locals will probably end up taking a half day.

One of our good friends is getting married next month, on a Friday.  In talking with the coupld, I have found out they got a lot of declines.  We are taking the entire day off Friday and crossing our fingers nothing snags us on our trip out.  My Hubby is a Groomsman and it would be terrible if we can't make it.  The worst part is, this is my last vacation day of the year (since we just got married and are taking our honeymoon soon!)

• My FI and I are going back and forth between Friday and Saturday as well. They are consecutive days, and we have ample time to choose, but the weekend we are looking at is OCMD car cruise weekend and many of our guests enjoy the cars, so we are leaning toward Friday so our guests can make a mini vacation out of it and enjoy the car shows on Sat and Sun :) .. We have thrown it out there to our VIPs and everyone is on board with the idea with resounding "Car Cruise weekend!?!?! That is SO you guys!! We love it!"
  • I agree with PPs. Go with the earlier Saturday. BF and I are attending a Friday evening wedding in the beginning of next month. It's for his best friend and they hooked us up so it was very important to us to go. I just got a new job which may complicate things but I will certainly speak with my supervisor and see if it is okay if I leave a bit early that day. To make matters even easier, I'll probably have BF drop me off at work and I'll bring the outfit I plan to wear and then change as I leave work and he picks me up.

This will be the first time I've ever been to a Friday wedding though.
    Formerly known as bubbles053009

• I've been to many Friday weddings and have found them to be quite lovely. I don't have to dedicate an entire day to it (If I don't want to) and I still have a whole weekend for recovery or other activities or even another wedding (which has happened to me before). I'm getting married on a Friday, but the ceremony is going to be mostly family and friends that are flying in from out of town -- I mean, what else are they going to do but fawn over me? ;) but the reception isn't starting until 6pm; hopefully giving time to those working to get there or get home, change and then come to the reception. I'm sure whatever you decide will be lovely.

• edited September 2014
  • We had a Friday evening wedding and had a 95% attendance and majority of those that declined were people we knew were going to decline regardless of the date.  Majority of our guests had to travel at least 1.5 hours to the wedding as well.  You do stand a risk of more potential declines on Friday but most people will come if they can.  Just be prepared that people may decline.  Some people may not be able to take the day off work, but many people will make it happen if they can.

we loved having the Friday wedding and then had Saturday and Sunday morning to visit with our OOT family before heading off to our mini moon.

Anniversary
  • I'm booking 10 months in advance, but all the Saturdays for my venue is booked except for one three weeks sooner than I was planning. Should I go for the earlier date or will a Friday be ok? Only some of the guests are going to be traveling from out of state. I don't want to inconvenience anyone.
    If the only thing stopping you from booking the Saturday is because it's three weeks earlier than planned, I'd go for the Saturday.  9 months, 1 week is still very doable.  :)
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I'm booking 10 months in advance, but all the Saturdays for my venue is booked except for one three weeks sooner than I was planning. Should I go for the earlier date or will a Friday be ok? Only some of the guests are going to be traveling from out of state. I don't want to inconvenience anyone.
    If the only thing stopping you from booking the Saturday is because it's three weeks earlier than planned, I'd go for the Saturday.  9 months, 1 week is still very doable.  :)
    And an awesome date in 9 months 1 week!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I agree that a Saturday wedding is the easiest for guests.  I've got to Friday weddings before, but they are a hassle if they're not local.  I wouldn't worry about losing planning time at all. 9 months is plenty.
  • kikstizzykikstizzy member
    First Comment
    edited September 2014
     I'm getting married on a Friday, but the ceremony is going to be mostly family and friends that are flying in from out of town -- I mean, what else are they going to do but fawn over me? ;) but the reception isn't starting until 6pm; hopefully giving time to those working to get there or get home, change and then come to the reception.
    This post could've been written by me! We're having a Friday wedding as well; FI's family and a lot of our friends are coming from, like, across the country, so they'd have had to take days off before & after the wedding for travel time anyway. Also, the majority of our family & friends work in somewhat unconventional jobs (not strict 9-to-5 weekday things) so it's not going to be an issue for time off in that sense. I'm actually really glad we're doing it on a Friday, more time to spend hanging out with all our loved ones after the craziness of the big day is over.
  • kikstizzy said:
     I'm getting married on a Friday, but the ceremony is going to be mostly family and friends that are flying in from out of town -- I mean, what else are they going to do but fawn over me? ;) but the reception isn't starting until 6pm; hopefully giving time to those working to get there or get home, change and then come to the reception.
    This post could've been written by me! We're having a Friday wedding as well; FI's family and a lot of our friends are coming from, like, across the country, so they'd have had to take days off before & after the wedding for travel time anyway. Also, the majority of our family & friends work in somewhat unconventional jobs (not strict 9-to-5 weekday things) so it's not going to be an issue for time off in that sense. I'm actually really glad we're doing it on a Friday, more time to spend hanging out with all our loved ones after the craziness of the big day is over.
    To be fair, though, having it on a Friday means they need to take an extra day off on top of that. I'm okay with taking one day off for travel (Friday flight, Saturday wedding, Sunday flight), but taking two days off is pushing it. That's why I only go to Friday weddings if it's one of my absolute very best friends or a sibling.
  • It doesn't matter to me either way.

It is something to consider though if you have lots of OOT guests. This is why we went with a Saturday. If guests have to fly for a Saturday wedding, they will need to take the Friday off. If it's a Friday wedding, then will need the Thursday and Friday off. 

I missed my good friend's wedding last year because it was on a Friday (and because we were poor). I was in school and had an exam that day, so even if I left right afterwards I wouldn't have shown up until at least 8pm. If it were a Saturday and funds weren't an issue, I could have gone. 

But now I have a job and vacation time :) (though I know not everyone has the same luxuries). Another friend of mine is getting married on a Friday this March, but we will be staying in the area for a week (our home town) so it doesn't matter what day it is this time around. 
  • Ditto what PPs are saying. Saturday would allow for more people to come, but if your VIPS work irregular work schedules (like most of my friends that work in hospitality management), weekday weddings are usually easier to attend. It just depends on your guests.

Also, 3 weeks may not be a big deal for indoor weddings, but it could make a big difference for outdoor weddings, especially in the summer. I live in the desert, and August is our wettest month with all of the monsoon rains we get - so 3 weeks may make a difference in that regard.
  • I had my wedding on a Friday and everyone that mattered to us were there.  Those that didn't show, we expected the RSVP to come back saying no, but we invited them anyway.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ohmrs2014 said:
    I had my wedding on a Friday and everyone that mattered to us were there.  Those that didn't show, we expected the RSVP to come back saying no, but we invited them anyway.
    So, the people who couldn't come don't matter to you?

I'm sure they'd be so happy to know that.
  • ohmrs2014ohmrs2014 mod
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2014
    ohmrs2014 said:
    I had my wedding on a Friday and everyone that mattered to us were there.  Those that didn't show, we expected the RSVP to come back saying no, but we invited them anyway.
    So, the people who couldn't come don't matter to you?

I'm sure they'd be so happy to know that.
    Yea, I probably didn't word that the right way.  It was meant more of our VIPs, closest friends and family.  The ones who RSVPed no were our parents guests, whom DH and I didn't know.  We had extended a certain number of invites to our parents for their friends, which at least, my parents had the feeling that they wouldn't go, but they wanted to invite anyway out of courtsey. Most of those were our guests who didn't come.  But in terms of all of the family and our friends, 98% of them were there.  The only reason why a select few couldn't come was because they had previous commitments and had told us when we first sent the STDs out, but we sent invites anyway because plans can always change.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Okay, that makes more sense. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards