Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation wording

I am wondering if it is okay to include the mother's names. I really want to.

I'm using fake names but here's an example:
Mr. and Mrs. William and Kate Smith

Instead of:
Mr. and Mrs. John Smith

I just really want to include the mothers!

Re: Invitation wording

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    First, you ARE including the mothers when you use the traditional Mr. and Mrs. John Smith. 
    What do the mothers want?  Have you asked them?  It is their choice how they are addressed, not yours.

If the ladies decide that they want their first name on the invitation, then the form you give is not proper.  Here is the correct form:  Ms. Mary Smith and Mr. John Smith.
    (Emily Post)

Personally, I prefer the traditional format when a couple is addressed.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    The traditional way to write this out is: Mr. and Mrs. John William Smith

The reason "Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith" is non-traditional is because tradition says that the man's first name should never be separated from his last name (as it is if you include 'and Jane'). 

To avoid this, you can use:
    - Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Smith
    - Mrs. Jane and Mr. John Smith
    - Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Personally, I really really hate the "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" tradition and think it needs to die. It gives credit to a patriarchal society and a nod to women becoming their husband's property after marriage.

That said though, many of your older and traditional guests may appreciate their invitations being addressed the traditional way. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    The traditional way to write this out is: Mr. and Mrs. John William Smith

The reason "Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith" is non-traditional is because tradition says that the man's first name should never be separated from his last name (as it is if you include 'and Jane'). 

To avoid this, you can use:
    - Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Smith
    - Mrs. Jane and Mr. John Smith
    - Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Personally, I really really hate the "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" tradition and think it needs to die. It gives credit to a patriarchal society and a nod to women becoming their husband's property after marriage.

That said though, many of your older and traditional guests may appreciate their invitations being addressed the traditional way. 
    I hate the bolded too, but I'd use it for those who still prefer it.  For people who prefer "Mr. John and Mrs. Jane Smith" or whatever, I'd respect their preference.

My own preference is to use "John and Jane Smith" or "Jane Smith and John Doe" with no titles at all to avoid the awkwardness of separating a title from a name, whether it's the woman's or the man's.  That's me, though, and I realize it's not traditional. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards