Attire & Accessories Forum

How to iron/remove wrinkles from silk dupioni dress?

Hi! I'm a new poster to the knot! I've been shopping for bridesmaid dresses & found one I love from the Ann Taylor wedding collection, in silk dupioni. I ordered one& it's very wrinkled from being in a shipping box, but I don't know if ironing it (even on silk setting) is a good idea? Anyone have experience with this fabric & know how to get the wrinkles out? Thanks!

Re: How to iron/remove wrinkles from silk dupioni dress?

• I'd recommend steaming it instead of ironing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• most bridal salons have steamers.  It cost me $50 to get mine done.
    They'll hold the gown and then do it the day before the wedding for me.

Easy peasy
  • I would take it to a cleaners to have to professionally steamed/pressed.  That way if anything happens to it you can get them to pay for a new dress (make sure to ask about their "oops we fucked up" policy before hand), but if you mess it up then you have to buy a new dress and be out the money for the ruined one.

• I would take it to a cleaners to have to professionally steamed/pressed.  That way if anything happens to it you can get them to pay for a new dress (make sure to ask about their "oops we fucked up" policy before hand), but if you mess it up then you have to buy a new dress and be out the money for the ruined one.
    This. The first cleaner I brought mine to wanted $80, and because it was a "Wedding Dress" I had to sign a waiver that said they weren't responsible if they ruined it. I actually almost laughed in her face. 
    Anniversary

• I would definitely have a professional press it for you, because you don't want to get silk dupioni wet.  If the steam from your iron is too "wet" or if your iron accidentally spits on the fabric, those spots may not come out.  After it dries, it will still look like wet spots.  A professional would know the most effective ways to get the wrinkles out of the dress without risking damage to the fabric.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards