Chit Chat

I'm a total wimp

I'm sitting here watching drunk history on hulu plus and a commercial for a new scary movie comes on where an older guy like kidnaps another guy (I think it's justin long?) and like tries to like turn him into a bird or something gross......and I just feel sick about it. I HATE scary movies where it's totally just a crazy guy like cutting people up or doing nasty experiments on them :( I can deal with scary movies where it isn't like something that could actually happen, but this is just barf.

I've noticed I am much more sensitive to this kind of thing as I get older. ugh such a wimp :(

Re: I'm a total wimp

• I'm the same way. I can handle gore just fine, love zombie movies and things like that, but people torturing other people, burglaries, or anything paranormal, and I just can't hang anymore. I live alone in a really rough neighborhood -- reality is scary enough. 
  • If it helps, that movie is directed by Kevin Smith. He probably (read: definitely) came up with the concept when he was high.

Just think of Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes sitting on a couch, super baked, philosophizing about human walruses. Not so scary :). Weird, but not scary.

• If it helps, that movie is directed by Kevin Smith. He probably (read: definitely) came up with the concept when he was high. Just think of Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes sitting on a couch, super baked, philosophizing about human walruses. Not so scary :). Weird, but not scary.
    that does make me feel a little bit better! :)

I still never want to see that preview again, but if it comes on I'll just picture that!
  • esstee33 said:
    I'm the same way. I can handle gore just fine, love zombie movies and things like that, but people torturing other people, burglaries, or anything paranormal, and I just can't hang anymore. I live alone in a really rough neighborhood -- reality is scary enough. 
    exactly! I actually really like zombie movies. they don't bug me in the slightest. I can handle paranormal to an extent....but people doing nasty things to other people....F that.
  • Scary movies?  I can't hang.  I don't like them at all, unless they're the funny ones that aren't really scary, like Lake Placid.  Or more psychological than scary, like Silence of the Lambs.  No horror, no slasher/gore flicks...not for this girl!  I'm definitely a wimp!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    I once asked a group of 6th Grade students what they thought was scary.  Their answers?

Vampires
    Zombies
    Monsters
    Witches
    Ghosts
    Bats

I then gave them a list of what frightens me:

War
    Poverty
    Ignorance
    Disease
    Hunger
    Drug and alcohol addiction

My list is of things that are real.  Theirs was a list of things that are not real - well, except for bats, and most of them have never really seen one.

Really scary movies:  The Killing Fields, Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, Platoon, The Doctor
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I can handle the gore and the paranormal stuff and I practically live off of shows like Criminal Minds, but I absolutely cannot handle demon/ possessed children. I just can't. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it helps, that movie is directed by Kevin Smith. He probably (read: definitely) came up with the concept when he was high. Just think of Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes sitting on a couch, super baked, philosophizing about human walruses. Not so scary :). Weird, but not scary.
    It doesn't help that I'm just screaming super-nerd here, but I love most of Kevin Smith's other work.  I'm not saying he wasn't high for this one, but it was out of a Podcast he was doing with Scott Mosier.  I have seen all of his other movies, but I'm still undecided about this one. I usually just put a giant NOPE on all things scary or gorey.
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    edited September 2014
    I can't watch scary movies/documentaries about stuff that actually happened. Like real life kidnappings and murders. 

I do love fake horror and I am totally that weirdo that will sit home alone and watch horror movies/ read horror novels. 

Maybe this won't help you, but when I'm scared from a movie I imagine myself in that situation and I plan for the worst and how to get out of the situation.

For example, in the texas chainsaw massacre, I would never have picked up a hitchhiker, therefore I am safe. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I love scary movies, but I absolutely cannot watch them alone at night.  Have any of you seen Funny Games?  That movie scarred me...

• I really want to see Tusk.  Kevin Smith is amazing; have you guys seen Red State (those that don't like scary movies won't like it)?
  • okulew29 said:

If it helps, that movie is directed by Kevin Smith. He probably (read: definitely) came up with the concept when he was high.

Just think of Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes sitting on a couch, super baked, philosophizing about human walruses. Not so scary :). Weird, but not scary.

It doesn't help that I'm just screaming super-nerd here, but I love most of Kevin Smith's other work.  I'm not saying he wasn't high for this one, but it was out of a Podcast he was doing with Scott Mosier.  I have seen all of his other movies, but I'm still undecided about this one. I usually just put a giant NOPE on all things scary or gorey.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird to think of him doing horror (even though he's done it before).

@doeydo I haven't seen Red State, but I just looked it up on IMDb. Melissa Leo? AND John Goodman? Together?! (Yeah, I watched Treme.) That has to be at least a little bit good.

• See I was so grossed out and creeped out by this awful movie I didn't even notice he was making him into a walrus instead of a bird :/

It makes way more sense to put a walrus man into a pool than it does a bird hahaha

Oh kevin smith.....whhyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • larrygaga said:
    I can't watch scary movies/documentaries about stuff that actually happened. Like real life kidnappings and murders. 

I do love fake horror and I am totally that weirdo that will sit home alone and watch horror movies/ read horror novels. 

Maybe this won't help you, but when I'm scared from a movie I imagine myself in that situation and I plan for the worst and how to get out of the situation.

For example, in the texas chainsaw massacre, I would never have picked up a hitchhiker, therefore I am safe. 
    So I should stab the old guy in the throat with the tusk and run away? :)
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited September 2014

beethery said:
    CMGragain said:
    I once asked a group of 6th Grade students what they thought was scary.  Their answers?

Vampires
    Zombies
    Monsters
    Witches
    Ghosts
    Bats

I then gave them a list of what frightens me:

War
    Poverty
    Ignorance
    Disease
    Hunger
    Drug and alcohol addiction

My list is of things that are real.  Theirs was a list of things that are not real - well, except for bats, and most of them have never really seen one.

Really scary movies:  The Killing Fields, Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, Platoon, The Doctor
    Congratulations. You lorded your adult fears over a bunch of 12-year-olds. I bet they were impressed.
    Actually, we had a great discussion about what is real and what isn't real - courtesy of Fred Rogers.  We talked about how grownups are afraid of things, too.  Nobody was weirded out. Some of them said, You're right, Mrs. Smith.  I don't need to be scared of vampires."  Most of those kids came from a neighborhood where they were very familiar with poverty, drug and alcohol addiction, and maybe even hunger. :(
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I love scary movies, but I absolutely cannot watch them alone at night.  Have any of you seen Funny Games?  That movie scarred me...
    That movie is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, and it takes a lot to scare me.  Thankfully, I watched it with roommates, there would be no way I could have watched it alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards