Chit Chat
Options

made a friend on the honeymoon

So if any of you remember, I posted about my dog attack that happened a little over a year ago. I've been scared of dogs since, naturally. Well here in Jamaica on my honeymoon and this stray looks around at everyone on the beach and chooses me. Climbs right up on my beach chair before I could even react and was just the friendliest thing!! He's really scrawny and grungy looking so I'm 99% sure he's a stray. This totally helped my outlook/fear of dogs! Husband was so proud of me for not freaking out :)

Re: made a friend on the honeymoon

• Options
    What a cutie!  So glad he helped you feel better!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Awww he looks like such a sweetheart!
  • Options
    Aw!!! It's like the universe wants to prove that not all dogs are bad!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Lil puppin friend!!!!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Yay! There are so many strays there and the ones that aren't afraid of people are super nice. Glad he chose you!
  • Options
    Hope you are having/had a great time!!!

• Options
    Aw that's wonderful! What a positive experience for you!!
    imageimage">
  • Options
    Be careful!!!
    The one thing I always take with me when traveling is not to pet/touch the dogs, even though they are the friendliest things.
     Sorry to burst your bubble on this...but stray dogs typically have bugs (worms and fleas) and will even sometimes have early stages of rabies
  • Options
    He could probably sense that you needed love.
  • Options
    YAY! He looks sweet! I'm glad you made a friend. :)
    Be careful!!!
    The one thing I always take with me when traveling is not to pet/touch the dogs, even though they are the friendliest things.
     Sorry to burst your bubble on this...but stray dogs typically have bugs (worms and fleas) and will even sometimes have early stages of rabies
    Eh. Fleas and worms are a thing, but you aren't very likely to get either just from a dog saying hello. Hell, something like 90% of puppies have worms of some kind, because roundworms are transmitted mom-to-puppy and tapeworms come from fleas. Whipworms and hookworms are transmitted through contaminated soil/feces, and humans can catch them just from being barefoot, even when there's no dog around. Wash your hands and feet and don't worry so much about the worms.

Fleas suck. They bite and the bites itch worse than anything I've ever had. BUT most fleas don't like people because they have a hard time attaching to us. We also don't get tapeworms from fleas, we get them from dogs that got them from fleas. Again, be mindful - and treat the bites with rubbing alcohol to help the itch - but don't worry about them. 

Tl;dr: I wouldn't, like, go SEARCHING for a dog to pet while traveling, but if one comes up to you, you likely aren't going to die from catching their worms and/or fleas, because both circumstances are unlikely.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Awww! Poor thing! He needs some lovin!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yea we just pet him quick then jumped in the ocean so I'm sure no fleas would survive that if they were on us. I wouldn't go and pick him up and let him lick me or anything like that. People have been giving him burgers and stuff all week so he's living pretty good haha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards