Chit Chat

Paying vendors by check or credit card?

I am about to book my wedding planner and asked if I could pay by credit card to get miles for the honeymoon. They told me they use the Square and there would be an additional fee of 3.5% to pay via credit card. It ends up being only about $50 or so but for us every penny counts....

So since you ladies have some experience... I'm just wondering if I should eat the $50 fee in order to have additional protection through my credit card just in case, or if I should just pay by check instead and let the contract be enough. What do you think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Paying vendors by check or credit card?

• behsco90 said:
    I am about to book my wedding planner and asked if I could pay by credit card to get miles for the honeymoon. They told me they use the Square and there would be an additional fee of 3.5% to pay via credit card. It ends up being only about $50 or so but for us every penny counts.... So since you ladies have some experience... I'm just wondering if I should eat the $50 fee in order to have additional protection through my credit card just in case, or if I should just pay by check instead and let the contract be enough. What do you think?
    If you don't get more than $50 worth of miles, it's not worth it.

• If you have clear contracts, I think checks are fine, but maybe I'm being dense and not seeing a reason to have it on credit?
  • Absolutely agree with Lolo. If the fee is $50 then the price must be $1450. On my double rewards card, that would be 2900 points or $29. Not worth it and that's with double points, if you only get single points it's $14 worth. I normally always use credit card to have the protection but not when there are fees. The contract should suit you well if you read it and add anything you think is neccessary.

• If you have clear contracts, I think checks are fine, but maybe I'm being dense and not seeing a reason to have it on credit?
    I was kind of thinking this too.  As long as your contract offers you sufficient protection in case something goes wrong or doesn't work out, I think paying by check is fine.  Unless you get an amazing number of miles worth the extra $50.  I think when it comes down to it, I'd do what was best for your budget; to me that means using the CC if the miles exceed the $50 you'd pay as a fee and otherwise using a check.
    Anniversary

• Agree w/ PPs, I'd pay by check. Your contract should protect you.
  • Thanks ladies! I figured the contract would be enough but I just wanted to make sure!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pay by check. Between that & your contract, you'll have extra proof the payments were made. 
  • Checks still leave paper trails! Just never, ever pay with cash unless it's a store or a small amount of money. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards