Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Hello ladies one quick question

Is it okay to have a private ceremony just you and your soon to be husband, and then on the same day have a reception where all the people you love can come and celebrate? just sitting here bored and it popped on my head what would you guys think lol 

Re: Hello ladies one quick question

• Is it okay to have a private ceremony just you and your soon to be husband, and then on the same day have a reception where all the people you love can come and celebrate? just sitting here bored and it popped on my head what would you guys think lol 

According to etiquette, there is nothing wrong with this. I'm not a big fan of it, personally, because the point of the reception is to celebrate the wedding that just took place.

Also, OP, it's kind of hard to take you seriously when you end a sentence with "lol".
  • It is technically ok, but people aren't really going to like it.

FI wants this. I do not. I am currently winning.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Etiquette wise it's fine.  The reception is really just a party. 

I've been invited to 2 such events  Both OOT.  I attended both with no issue.  One was DH's cousin.  MIL was disappointed, but in the end enjoyed celebrating with them at the reception.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • This is fine, but do expect some declines.  Many people will be disappointed to not see the ceremony.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Is it okay to have a private ceremony just you and your soon to be husband, and then on the same day have a reception where all the people you love can come and celebrate? just sitting here bored and it popped on my head what would you guys think lol 
    What is your (and/or his) reasoning for wanting this?

To save money? The party's the expensive part.

To avoid being the center of attention? You still will be.

I mean, yeah, you can do it. I just don't see it solving some sort of problem.
  • Both Fi and I wanted a very small ceremony. Neither of us feel comfortable with sharing such a private and intimate moment with so many friends and extended family.

But we are also having a small reception because we don't feel the need to encore the time, energy, and cost associated with larger ones.
  • I think it's perfectly fine. I actually think many people LOVE the party more than anything else. I would understand if someone I knew wanted a private, intimate ceremony. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to just focus on each other. I would be honored to be a part of the celebration afterward!

GL. :)

• It's fine.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited September 2014

Is it okay to have a private ceremony just you and your soon to be husband, and then on the same day have a reception where all the people you love can come and celebrate? just sitting here bored and it popped on my head what would you guys think lol 
    What is your (and/or his) reasoning for wanting this? never said i wanted this

To save money? The party's the expensive part. 

To avoid being the center of attention? You still will be.

I mean, yeah, you can do it. I just don't see it solving some sort of problem. Theres no problem to solve really.

It was a curious question . I always read thru and learn all this things about etiquette but never seen this situation. THANK YOU

• thank you ladies for replying. I love to read post from this website of all sort of situations and I learn from all of your post. This post was just me being curious because I have not bumped into a post with this situation. Thank you all for your replies. Sorry i took long to reply.

Stuck in box

If you really want all the people you love to come and celebrate then why wouldn't you invite them to the event you're actually celebrating?  This doesn't make sense to me and you run the risk of hurting the feelings of the people you're excluding, especially if you're close to them.
  • My friend had a private ceremony with everyone coming into the room just for the reception. She's really shy so it worked out for her. No one got offended or anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards