Budget Weddings Forum

We need help by 6pm tonight! The awkward money talk

My fiancee and I are having dinner at 6pm tonight with his parents and my parents and we are having the finance talk for the wedding budget. We do not not know how to go about starting the conversation about the money. HELP how did everyone else start this process!! suggestions needed, no drama in the family wanted, a beautiful wedding is a must!

Re: We need help by 6pm tonight! The awkward money talk

• beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Don't start it. Let THEM start it. That's all you need.

Also, don't plan anything you couldn't afford to pay for yourself. Don't expect money offers. Don't count that money until it's in your hand.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Oh! This is super-easy! You discuss your budget for the wedding. The one you and your FI are building. And then you stop, because you can't ask them for money. If they offer? Great! Thank them and let them know you'll work out the details with them privately later (because it's none of one parent couple's business how much the other contributes). If they don't offer, then you plan the wedding you can afford.
  • we never had the talk in that way.    When we got engaged my parents offered to throw us the reception.    As in TOGETHER  with us, they planned and paid for the reception.    I do not know the final budget.  I have an idea, but the the final numbers.

MIL told us when we got engaged she is not contributing.  We did even ask.    NBD, she was stilled allowed to invite who she wanted.    She is reasonable, so the numbers were not  ridiculous.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My fiancee and I are having dinner at 6pm tonight with his parents and my parents and we are having the finance talk for the wedding budget. We do not not know how to go about starting the conversation about the money. HELP how did everyone else start this process!! suggestions needed, no drama in the family wanted, a beautiful wedding is a must!

Oh! This is super-easy! You discuss your budget for the wedding. The one you and your FI are building. And then you stop, because you can't ask them for money. If they offer? Great! Thank them and let them know you'll work out the details with them privately later (because it's none of one parent couple's business how much the other contributes). If they don't offer, then you plan the wedding you can afford.
    What @pinkrevenge said. 
  • Agree with PPs. Keep your mouths shut and plan the wedding the two of you can afford. If parents offer, thank them and don't spend it until it's in hand.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Oh! This is super-easy! You discuss your budget for the wedding. The one you and your FI are building. And then you stop, because you can't ask them for money. If they offer? Great! Thank them and let them know you'll work out the details with them privately later (because it's none of one parent couple's business how much the other contributes). If they don't offer, then you plan the wedding you can afford.
    this a million times.  

There is no good way to have this discussion as a group.  One side might have more money, one side might just plainly want to spend more than the other.  Please do not put them on the spot and/or bullied into contributing more then can afford because they feel they have to look good in front of the other set. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If they offer to help don't count on it until it is either in your hands or they put money as a deposit/pay for whatever. My mother offered us money when we announced our engagement. We're now 6 months into planning and we haven't received a dime and I don't feel comfortable about ever mentioning it to her.
  • We got engaged while at home visiting my parents. The next day they said they wanted to give us $X to spend for the wedding. We said thank you, that we were incredibly grateful for whatever they wanted to give us.

We ended up going over that amount but H and I kicked in the rest. My parents never even asked how much we spent.

In order to make things easier, I looked at the amount they offered and gave them bills to pay while carefully making sure I stayed in the allotted amount. So they paid for specific things (photographer, bartenders, etc.).
  • You don't.  If your parents want to help with the wedding budget, they will bring it up.  Then you just act very, very thankful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• My fiance and I worked out two budgets. One was a small wedding that we could afford if we had to completely pay on our own and the other one is if we had contribution. We were lucky and got help. 

I would just have a discussion about your wedding, generally speaking. Talk about what colors you guys were thinking. Ask some general opinions or about nice weddings they have attended. Don't bring up money but that way you can get them involved but not make it awkward. Definitely never mention the money, not even your budget right now. Just get them excited about the wedding and see without asking or making it weird, if they want to contribute or not. 

If they don't, then that's fine, just go with your first plan. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards