Snarky Brides

etiquette police

2»

Re: etiquette police

• Yawn.

love this...completely aside from the special snowflakeness, 

@Slothiegal I saw this and thought of you
  • I'm with Meg.  And having an early reception doesn't mean you're sending everyone home to bed.  "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."  Maybe your uncles will find a nice cigar lounge to finish their evening, some of the girls will end up at a posh martini bar around the corner, and the younger cousins will end up in someone's hotel room with a case of beer.  Just because the reception ends doesn't mean the partying has to stop.
  • We had an early-ish wedding. Ceremony at 3, cocktail hour at 4, dinner service started at 5:15 with salad and the buffet remained open until 7. Everything was done at 9, and we let it be known that we would be going out on the town after the reception and everyone was welcome to join us. About 1/3 of our guests did, so we went out for sandwiches (we paid) and hit a few bars (we paid some, several couples bought rounds for everyone, but we were prepared to pay for everything). Having an early ceremony doesn't mean you have to make your friends and family fend for themselves for several hours just so you can have a later dinner.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• We had an early-ish wedding. Ceremony at 3, cocktail hour at 4, dinner service started at 5:15 with salad and the buffet remained open until 7. Everything was done at 9, and we let it be known that we would be going out on the town after the reception and everyone was welcome to join us. About 1/3 of our guests did, so we went out for sandwiches (we paid) and hit a few bars (we paid some, several couples bought rounds for everyone, but we were prepared to pay for everything). Having an early ceremony doesn't mean you have to make your friends and family fend for themselves for several hours just so you can have a later dinner.
    Ours was similar although we ended at 10. We had tons of extra booze so we sent it back to the hotel with our friends. We had a nice after party at the hotel with about 40 people till 2am- we ordered pizza, people went swimming. Not at all lame.
  • KellyT22 said:
    Full disclosure - at my work I am a Knot advertiser. We get no say in content.
    Hold up.  Forget the rest of this thread- You work for The Knot, made an account on the site for the place you work for, and then started a thread complaining about the behavior of the users, and LET US KNOW YOU WORK FOR THEM- Doesn't any of that seem just a teensy bit unprofessional to you? 

Either don't use the boards or don't tell us you work for the knot. Seeing employees behave like this isn't exactly helping stop the "Knot bashing."
  • KellyT22 said:
    Full disclosure - at my work I am a Knot advertiser. We get no say in content.
    Hold up.  Forget the rest of this thread- You work for The Knot, made an account on the site for the place you work for, and then started a thread complaining about the behavior of the users, and LET US KNOW YOU WORK FOR THEM- Doesn't any of that seem just a teensy bit unprofessional to you? 

Either don't use the boards or don't tell us you work for the knot. Seeing employees behave like this isn't exactly helping stop the "Knot bashing."
    To be fair, I don't think she works FOR The Knot. The company she works for advertises on The Knot (web, print, or both). 

That being said, OF COURSE someone who makes money from the wedding industry isn't going to give two flips about etiquette unless it benefits them financially. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I still don't understand what you were trying to gain from this post. Whatever, dance party:

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    KellyT22 said:
    My time gap isn't bad but I saw a poor girl get ripped apart earlier today over a two hour gap that she seemingly had no choice in. Rubbed me the wrong way. Guess I've been to a lot of weddings with decent gaps. It's never bothered me.
    There is always a choice.  Just because you don't like the options doesn't mean you don't have a choice.  You're just choosing not to partake in the available options and choosing to be rude instead for the sake of a "vision".  In the example you gave of the priest only being available at 2pm.  You could:

*find another priest
    *find another church
    *find another date when the priest is available at the time you want
    *find another time that day when the priest is available (could they have also done 11am and you host a luncheon reception instead)
    *host a cake and punch reception of dinner
    *host a cocktail reception instead of dinner
    *start your reception earlier
    *elope

I will never understand why people seem to think it's ok to be rude to their own families just because their own families are likely going to be gracious enough and love you enough to not complain to your face about how you made them wait/made them work your wedding/made them stand/etc.  You would think people would want to treat their own friends and family with the utmost courtesy and respect and host them properly and instead I see posts like these where people take them granted instead.
  • I'm rather saddened by the snark level of this thread. It has such potential! Maybe the horse is really, finally, truly dead?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    Why do people think these threads are a good idea?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Why do people think these threads are a good idea?

And in Snarky Brides, of all places.

This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • If all these snowflakes think they are so special, why do they all use the same play book?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• hellohkbhellohkb mod
    edited October 2014
    RIGHT?

And to think we share a name :c

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @hellokellybean you'll always be the superior Kelly to me.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• MandyMostMandyMost member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    KellyT22 said: I'm just referring to posts in general. Reading through some of this stuff just makes my head spin. I like to believe that the length of time between ceremony and reception or vows I choose won't alienate my family because of the love and mutual respect we share for each other. Just my perspective.

It's not exactly
    mutual respect if you're making them wait around for a big gap, now is it? That is clearly disrespecting them and their time. 
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    edited October 2014
    I still think back on a wedding from like 2010 that had a gap. It was a huge ordeal, like 400 guests, giant flower centerpieces, this thing just dripped 'expense'. And they had us putz around the hotel for an hour or so after the ceremony. I remember being bored and uncomfortable. Disrespecting someone's time isn't so much making them promise to spend that time on you - it's making them promise to spend that time on you but you can't be bothered to do the same for them.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards