Getting in Shape

Best Tips for weight loss!

So everyone knows working out and eating healthy are key to weightless, but what are some of your #1 tips? Let's hear them!

Re: Best Tips for weight loss!

• Mine: Eat every 3-4 hours. It keeps your metabolism going and prevents binge eating because you never get to the point where you're starving.
  • I track everything on MFP, though I have been horrible at it since going back to work for the school year.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Drink water.  Lots and lots of water.  Many times when one feels hungry they are actually dehydrated so drink a glass of water and then reevaluate 10 or so minutes later.  Still feeling hungry?  Then eat.

Also, don't deprive yourself if you really want something.  It is all about portion control and allowing yourself small indulgences.  If you completely deprive yourself of something you love (for me that would be pasta and ice cream) then you will most likely cave and go on a binge.  But if you allow yourself to eat what you love in the correct portion size then you will feel satisfied and happy.

• Drink water.  Lots and lots of water.  Many times when one feels hungry they are actually dehydrated so drink a glass of water and then reevaluate 10 or so minutes later.  Still feeling hungry?  Then eat.

Also, don't deprive yourself if you really want something.  It is all about portion control and allowing yourself small indulgences.  If you completely deprive yourself of something you love (for me that would be pasta and ice cream) then you will most likely cave and go on a binge.  But if you allow yourself to eat what you love in the correct portion size then you will feel satisfied and happy.
    Nothing makes me want something more than being told I can't have it. If there is a special event or dinner out I plan my calories carefully so I can maximize my enjoyment of the meal and minimize the guilt.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • One thing I'm trying to follow faithfully is to eat food in its most simple form.  Avoid chemicals, preservatives, etc.  I'm not necessarily into like, 100% organic, etc, but I guess I just try to simplify everything.  Make what I can, etc etc.

Also, as someone else mentioned, portion control.  I see no reason not to have a slice of cake when it's someone's birthday, but I won't have cake every day.

And #1 for me... work out three times a week.. at LEAST two if three doesn't work out.  I've spent the last six months or so focusing on lifting weights mixed with interval training, and my scale hasn't moved a whole bunch, but I feel that I look much better.  

This is a lot of things, but I guess for me I've tried to simplify, versus my early-20s mindset which was like, diet pills and 100 calorie snack packs.  Fruits and veggies are your friend!  
  • The biggest factors for me are regular exercise, not drinking many calories (mostly just water- no soda, juice and wine here and there) and avoiding processed foods as much as possible.

• Pretty much that PP's have said.  And try to get some weights into your workout.  It will help "up" your metabolism and muscle needs more energy to survive than fat does, so your body will use more calories to sustain that muscle.  Plus, the same weight of muscle takes up less space than the same amount of fat, making you leaner.  You might weigh a similar amount, but you should notice a change in measurements.  And you can't bulk up.  You'll just get nice and toned.  

• -Listen to your body! Only eat until you are satisfied. 
    -Drink lots of water, (half your body weight in ounces so if you weigh 150 for example, drink 75 ounces per day) And drink 8oz before each meal.
    -Be consistent! 
    -Cut out carbs from bread and starches and replace with lean protein and vegetables
    -Allow yourself a cheat meal (this will keep you sane) 
  • Figure out what your worst food habits are and get rid of those. Pre-weight loss I ate hummus, pizza, and fast food every week, and had a Starbucks latte almost every day. I cut those things down to just once or twice a month and I'm saving myself all kinds of calories. It's way less stressful than saying "No sugar" or something... I can still eat cake, but since I was never eating cake every week, I don't have to get rid of it.
  • jackannlu said:
    Mine: Eat every 3-4 hours. It keeps your metabolism going and prevents binge eating because you never get to the point where you're starving.
    Mine's actually the opposite of this - if I try to eat every 3-4 hours, all I can have is tiny, low cal meals which means I am never, ever feeling full. So I'll have a 100 cal snack in the morning, then make sure I eat a BIG lunch that uses up a big chunk of my calories, and a medium size dinner that finishes off my calories. That's it. No snacks, other than black coffee or tea. That way I'm never feeling like I'm depriving myself, and I actually have the energy to do things because I feel FULL after my meals.
  • jackannlu said:
    Mine: Eat every 3-4 hours. It keeps your metabolism going and prevents binge eating because you never get to the point where you're starving.
    Mine's actually the opposite of this - if I try to eat every 3-4 hours, all I can have is tiny, low cal meals which means I am never, ever feeling full. So I'll have a 100 cal snack in the morning, then make sure I eat a BIG lunch that uses up a big chunk of my calories, and a medium size dinner that finishes off my calories. That's it. No snacks, other than black coffee or tea. That way I'm never feeling like I'm depriving myself, and I actually have the energy to do things because I feel FULL after my meals.
    I don't eat small meals only every 3-4 hours. I typically have a 300 cal breakfast (my go-tos are greek yogurt, berries, eggs, eggwhites, ezekiel toast, steel cut oats, canadian bacon), a 400 call lunch (usually a salad with deli meats and tomatoes/cucumbers, however also alternate with a small tropichop from Pollo Tropical with lettuce instead of rice), and then a 500-600 bigger dinner (lean protein, a veggie, salad, and perhaps some quinoa or brown rice depending on how I'm feeling).

I do eat 2 snacks a day though, and I try to keep it to 100-150cals. My go-to's are baby carrots & hummus, raw almonds/cashews, greek yogurt, green apples, celery & peanut butter, laughing cow cheese w/ crisp n light crackers. Personally, when I'm including working out in my routine, I just find it is more effective for me to concentrate on finding a healthy balance of protein, fat, and carbs frequently to keep me full rather than limiting myself to a 1200 cal diet. Plus, I really do feel it keeps my metabolism. running. 
  • Small things that make a big difference for me is to 

-eat apples as a snack. Apples are a known food to help lose weight for their fiber and vitamins that keep you full and satisfied

-use smaller plates for meals so you don't feel like you have to fill a large plate
  • My big tip is aim to hit the recommended servings of fruits and veggies.  These foods are (usually) low calories, and full of fiber and water so they keep you full without busting the bank calorie-wise.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards