Attire & Accessories Forum

What to wear to my reception?

We've decided on a destination wedding with immediate family only (end of January 2015), and we'll have a cocktail reception in February for friends and family (approx 80-100 people). I'm stuck on what I should wear to the reception...I've been to receptions where the bride wears her wedding dress again but mine is very 'beachy'. Should I be getting a second wedding dress (maybe a short one?) or can I go with a formal cocktail dress in some other colour? 

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Re: What to wear to my reception?

• We've decided on a destination wedding with immediate family only (end of January 2015), and we'll have a cocktail reception in February for friends and family (approx 80-100 people). I'm stuck on what I should wear to the reception...I've been to receptions where the bride wears her wedding dress again but mine is very 'beachy'. Should I be getting a second wedding dress (maybe a short one?) or can I go with a formal cocktail dress in some other colour? 

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :)
    The reception is when you feed your family at your DW (you are feeding them, right?) because it's a thank you for witnessing your marriage.

The cocktail party at home should not have wedding elements, including wearing your wedding dress or a wedding dress. Wear whatever you like in any color.
  • I don't take HUGE issue with wearing your wedding dress again as long as there aren't other wedding elements, because Allie is right that this is not your reception. The fact that it's beachy and not a ballgown makes it a little better IMHO, but then you'd look kind of silly wearing a beachy dress in February. A party dress is a better choice, because this is a party and not a wedding. 

• If the dress is beachy, I agree it will look odd in February. I would go with a party dress, not a wedding dress. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sounds beautiful!
  • Thank you - I completely agree. I decided to go with a pretty white and gold cocktail/party dress for our party at home - I finally found a reason to buy the sparkly gold peeptoes that I've had my eye on :)

Pics! :)

• Thank you - I completely agree. I decided to go with a pretty white and gold cocktail/party dress for our party at home - I finally found a reason to buy the sparkly gold peeptoes that I've had my eye on :)
    Pics! :)
    Yes please. We LOVE looking at dresses and shoes. Show us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I do take issue with many of the pps.  There are many different kinds of receptions.  Not all receptions are wedding receptions.  I have been to many formal receptions where I was invited to meet someone new to me.  The OP is having her wedding reception after her destination wedding (I hope!) with her guests.  Then she is having a cocktail reception later for a large group of people.  This is not a part of her wedding, so she will not wear a wedding dress.  (Good for you, OP!)  Have a lovely wedding and a later celebration.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • A reception has to be tied to some event...as a wedding reception welcomes/thanks people for attending a wedding ceremony. You also often have cocktail receptions for business conferences to welcome you to the event, or a reception tied to a speaking engagement of some kind. If you are having a stand-alone party/celebration, it's not a reception. It's a party/celebration!
  • Thanks for all of your comments! We are having a dinner reception right after our ceremony (just immediate family members are coming away with us), and we are hosting a cocktail party when we return for a larger group of family and friends. There will be absolutely no wedding elements at the cocktail party celebration - we'll have drinks, hors d'oeuvres, music and desserts in a private area of a restaurant.

I'm going to need some help with the wording for the cocktail party invitations - am I ok to say that we want to invite people to celebrate our marriage? I'll submit another post for that :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards