Snarky Brides

Wedding Websites tacky?

What do you think about wedding websites? Are they tacky or helpful for guests?

Re: Wedding Websites tacky?

• I find them really helpful. I bookmark them for every wedding I go to that has one. It's saved the day when I've lost/forgotten invites.

I do eye-roll a bit when they're TMI and have million inside jokes between the B&G or the couple and their WP. Yawn.
    *********************************************************************************

• I like them, assuming they provide useful information. If it's literally just a slideshow of pictures showing off what a cute couple they are, then I mock them mercilessly.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Okay, so just put information on there that will be useful to guests, such as hotel accommodations, registry information, etc.? Is it annoying to have just a couple pictures and maybe some BP info? Or just stick to the basics?

• GApeaches said:

Okay, so just put information on there that will be useful to guests, such as hotel accommodations, registry information, etc.? Is it annoying to have just a couple pictures and maybe some BP info? Or just stick to the basics?

Get the green light from your BP first before posting info about them on your site. When I visit a wedding website, I use registry info and wedding venue info / directions.
  • I LOVE wedding websites. I find them really useful and enjoy browsing them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I have a wedding website and so far it's been very helpful for every one of my guests. I live in the UK now but have guests from all over the world to come to  my wedding in Mauritius. The same reason why I did e-RSVPs because I'm scared that they might get lost in the post/delays since my guests are from 10 different countries! If you're looking to have your own website, I can help you with suggestions or can show you mine? It's very simple and to the point. PM me if you feel like!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think they're helpful. 

I DO think they become tacky when there are millions of photos, stories, and useless tidbits. 
  • Most of my guests are coming in from out of town, so besides the basics (hotel info, ceremony time and location, etc) I also put links to stuff to do around the area like golf courses and wineries. 

That's the kind of stuff I find really helpful when I go to weddings. Especially if I've lost the invitation (which happens sometimes) 

I think a few pictures can be cute. Some of your relatives will want to see them. A million photos? No. 20 selfies all over every page? Please no. But on other peoples' websites I always think it's cute to see a couple of their engagement photos or a picture of their dog. Just keep it simple! 
  • I did one primarily to list venue info and local eateries for out-of-town guests. I'm hoping it means I'll be fielding fewer phone calls.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think people use them as a hiding place for their etiquette no-no's (e.g. registry information and AWing), which is incredibly tacky.

Venue information and accommodations can go in an insert in the invitation. Selfies belong on Facebook (if you truly must), and registry information belongs nowhere.

• yesmadam said:
    I think people use them as a hiding place for their etiquette no-no's (e.g. registry information and AWing), which is incredibly tacky.

Venue information and accommodations can go in an insert in the invitation. Selfies belong on Facebook (if you truly must), and registry information belongs nowhere.

If you have a lot of info cards though it costs more to mail the invites, because they weigh more. 

Also I'm all about not killing trees, especially since half the time when you put those info cards into the invitation, they get lost anyway and at that point a website would be helpful so you know the correct info. 

Wedding websites are helpful, they cut down on paper and ink costs, and you can generally put more information about the surrounding area on a site than you can put in an invite insert.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I find wedding websites helpful. On top of guest information I also enjoy reading about the couple. I have been shocked to realize how many of these have taught me how they met or got engaged and some are really cute! That said, don't go too in depth or overloaded on pictures!

Anniversary
  • I really love wedding websites.  They're super handy for logistical info but I also enjoy some personal touches too.  A few pictures and the story of how you met/got engaged/etc are great, particularly if I don't know one half of the couple very well, or at all.  I start to side eye when there are dozens of photos of the couple and long rambling paragraphs about how their love is So Unique.
  • A website for ANYTHING is helpful. It's 2014.

• yesmadam said:
    I think people use them as a hiding place for their etiquette no-no's (e.g. registry information and AWing), which is incredibly tacky.

SITB

I understand what you're saying but some of us can have websites that are just for that:information. Mine has no registry info (we don't even have one), and we have four pictures of us on there. Two present ones and two of when we were children. That's it. The rest is accommodations, car rentals, attractions, maps and RSVPs. It would have been way too much for inserts in cards. We did do classic invitations, but in our situation, we are having a wedding in Mauritius which is in the middle of nowhere and more than half of our guests are from all over the world. That's why we trusted in the safety of a website and e-RSVPs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • raissyraisraissyrais member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2014
  • Just don't do what I did and spend a ton of time making your site, only to forget to put it on an insert. D'OH!
    eyeroll
  • Less is more.

As far as registry info, here's how I look at it. People want to know where couples are registered. You can make them work for the info- calling your mom or whomever- or you can just stick that button on the site. 

I'd much rather see a plain link to Crate & Barrel than a whole long winded, "We appreciate anything and you don't have to give us gifts but just in case you do our registries are here and here but seriously guys you don't like haaave to get us anything because what we really are doing is saving for a house...."  

• anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I also really like wedding websites. Sometimes it's just the convenience. If I'm at work and my FI asks how long it takes to get to where the wedding is or what time it is, I might not have that information on hand. But I can google the wedding website and look it all up. Or if I'm on the computer already I don't have to get up and find the invitation to book my hotel. My laziness appreciates that.

ETA: Words are hard in the morning.
  • I'm starting to think about our wedding website. I have not been to a wedding that had one, but I think it would be super helpful. At one wedding, I lost the address of the venue, luckily a mutual friend sent me a pic of her insert. She was the only mutual friend attending the wedding, though, so if I had forgotten to ask the night before, it would have been hectic trying to get that information last minute.

We are in NYC, and all of our out of town guests are former NYC folks that visit several times a year, therefore I don't need to include a section on things to do. I am thinking of including hotel information, directions to the venue (the venue gives us an insert with detailed instructions, but again, people tend to lose these things), maybe 4 pics, and maybe a small blurb on how we met, and became engaged. I think it's convenient for most guests, especially with many people having smartphones and tablets. They can just pull up the information on the go.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards