Snarky Brides
Options

Daenarys Adeline.

My former classmate (Facebook friend) just had a baby girl.

They named her Daenarys Adeline.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Daenarys Adeline.

• Options
  • Options
    jenajjthrjenajjthr member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    Why? Just why? 

imageimage
  • Options
    That poor kid is going to get made fun of so much on the playground. Unless she has dragons, anyway.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    She'd better have dragons with that name.

And if you're going full-on Daenarys with the first name, why make the middle name Adeline?  Why not just Daenarys Stormborn or something?  Maybe they want her to be able to go by the more normal middle name?

My favorite part is that all of the "congrats" posts on her Facebook totally avoid using the name.  Not one person has posted anything about the name at all, just "what a cutie" and "welcome baby girl!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I seriously cringe at obvious pop-culture baby names, but I'm really not a fan of "trendy" stuff anyway.

*waiting for someone to name their kid Bilbo Baggins*
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I love pop culture names...for pets. 

I think I have mentioned this before, but my neighbors have a dog named Paris and a child named London.  Seriously.

• Options
    Wow. That's too bad. In 5-10 years everyone will have forgotten what Game of Thrones even was and her name will just be irrelevant, weird, hard to spell, and mispronounced by every teacher ever. Poor kid. 

A Facebook friend of mine just named her daughter Hermoine. As in Harry Potter. But she did it because it's some kind of ancient Greek important something? Ugh. Whatever. Be prepared to pay for her therapist. 
  • Options
    DUDE. NO.

• Options
    I effin love the name Daenarys.  But come on, everyone is going to know where ya got it.  Not to mention that poor kid is going to have their name spelled wrong their entire life.  

She could have compromised and went with the "Dani" types names, like Danica or Daniella (that's what I pitched to FI, lol).

Yeah, that's a big NOPE from me too (even though the name is totally epic)

ETA: One of my friends named her kid "Kool Cherry".  The kid is a teen now and goes by "KC"
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Wow. That's too bad. In 5-10 years everyone will have forgotten what Game of Thrones even was and her name will just be irrelevant, weird, hard to spell, and mispronounced by every teacher ever. Poor kid. 

A Facebook friend of mine just named her daughter Hermoine. As in Harry Potter. But she did it because it's some kind of ancient Greek important something? Ugh. Whatever. Be prepared to pay for her therapist. 
    My good friend has a Hermoine as well. She did it because of Harry Potter. But, interestingly enough, if you look at a family tree from my family we have A LOT of Hermoines on it (not recently, of course, but they are on there from decades ago).
  • Options
    I've considered Daenarys as a middle name for a child.  And I like the name Arya.  But I liked both those names after reading the books and before realizing that HBO was going to make them into a show.  And I've already named a Betta Fish Daenarys, so that might be out for a child.
  • Options
    First of all, I love the books (and TV series) and Daenarys is one of my favorite characters ever. However, when someone I knew told me that if they were having a baby girl she would have a middle name of "Khaleesi", I didn't even know what to say. I think naming a child after anything pop culture is a sure fire way to cause the child some discomfort over the name at some point in time. 
  • Options
    I really like the name Adeline.

But yeah, not feeling Daneryas. I mean, I'd love to name my daughter Zelda, but I also want to avoid placing a target on her back for bullies.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Poor child. She'll never find personalized pencils while she's shopping for school.

In my line of work, I run across odd names all the time (used to happen when I taught school as well), but these days, I was looking up an inmate's location and noticed someone else whose last name was "Bogus." Imagine having to go through school with that.
  • Options
    I love pop culture names...for pets. 

I think I have mentioned this before, but my neighbors have a dog named Paris and a child named London.  Seriously.
    Ditto.  DH and I want to name our next dog Chalupa Batman.
    When we get a pug, his name will be Winston Batman Churchill.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    sarahuflsarahufl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    How do you even pronounce that name anyway? Funny enough, I am watching the episode of Friends where Phoebe changes her name to Princess Consuela Bananahammock.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    How do you even pronounce that name anyway? Funny enough, I am watching the episode of Friends where Phoebe changes her name to Princess Consuela Bananahammock.
    Den-AIR-iss ADD-a-line (or ADD-a-leen)
    eyeroll
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    I really like the name Adeline. But yeah, not feeling Daneryas. I mean, I'd love to name my daughter Zelda, but I also want to avoid placing a target on her back for bullies.
    Robin Williams' daughter is named Zelda!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

There is an extremely famous child in my town. How do I know she is extremely famous? I have only lived here two years, don't even have any kids, and have STILL heard about her from two different people.

Her name is La-a.

Pronounced: La-dash-a.

• Options

Yep. How sad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our kitty is named Nymeria after the dire wolf in Game of Thrones. DH wants to name our first daughter Arya because Arya is the character that has Nymeria the dire wolf. I like the name Arya but am insisting on a "normal" middle name just in case little Arya prefers it.

I actually love the name Adeline. I think if they reversed the names it would be fine, but Daenarys is too out there for a first name.

Anniversary
  • Options

There is an extremely famous child in my town. How do I know she is extremely famous? I have only lived here two years, don't even have any kids, and have STILL heard about her from two different people.

Her name is La-a.

Pronounced: La-dash-a.

This is an urban legend and it has pretty racist origins.  There's a good chance you've never met this kid because she doesn't exist.

Yeah, no.
  • Options
    I seriously cringe at obvious pop-culture baby names, but I'm really not a fan of "trendy" stuff anyway.

*waiting for someone to name their kid Bilbo Baggins*
    I've written about this before, but I had a Soldier's packet come across my desk a few years back and his first and names were Thorin Oakenshield.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards