Snarky Brides

Daenarys Adeline.

Re: Daenarys Adeline.

• edited September 2014
    Where is @CMGragain with the naming rules?

The way I try to think about names for possible, maybe, could be future babies is: would I want to be named that? Would I want to have been named that in school, now and in the future? If there is any hesitation whatsoever, the answer is Nope. 

In my line of work, I've seen names such as Lucifer, King Ceezer, Stingray, Foggy Morning (first and middle), Copenhagen, VaRoom, and the list goes on. Just WTF people? W. T. F. 

ETF: hard words
    *********************************************************************************

• Would I want to be named that?  Does it rhyme with anything rude?  Can people SPELL that?

The short form of my name is fairly common and can be spelled approximately eleventy billion ways, ensuring that the way *I* spell it is never anyone's default.

I've seen some doozies with work - a kid whose middle names were Jur'nee Tattoo'd, a guy named Kashes Klay LastName...  oy vey.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • There was a lady a couple weeks ago that made headlines for an arrest and her name. Her name is Cherries Tennis Waffles. Google her.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• lurkergirllurkergirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    FI's last name begins with an "F," so we won't be having a William Thomas or any names beginning with "M."

Any other letters I need to avoid? :)

Edit because I wrote "our" last name, but it's not my last name yet :)

• So a few years ago I was working in Family Court (which actually helped me get my job now, even though it really gave me zero functional experience) and I SHIT YOU NOT I saw Lemonjello and Oranjello come through the division that handles child support of unwed parents. 

I really really wish I was kidding. 

Daenarys is not a name I would consider. Adeline might be. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • FI's last name begins with an "F," so we won't be having a William Thomas or any names beginning with "M."

Any other letters I need to avoid? :)

Edit because I wrote "our" last name, but it's not my last name yet :)
    Same here. Except DH wants to do exactly that. Nope. I put my foot down on that one. There will be no "WTF" kids in the future. 
    Anniversary
  • My thoughst on names- will this name sound professional if he/she were to be a doctor or lawyer? Will it sound good if he/she were starring in a Broadway show or movie? If no, the name gets dropped from the list.

Is there any way for some stupid kid in elementary school to make of him or her because of it, in any way shape or form.  If yes it doesn't stay on the list.

Anniversary

• This sounds like a case where the kid will end up going by her middle name. I knew kids like that in my classes growing up. Kids know when their first name sucks and don't want to be made fun of or have to deal with teachers and fellow students mispronouncing or misspelling their names. 
  • Initials are big in my family... see my screen name, I'm ADK1.  I have a cousin, ADK4, who had a daughter who he wanted to pass the initials along to.  His wife wanted Adalin Daenarys K.  This was back in 2009 before the shows, but after the books.  She lost.  The kid is Adalin, but has dad's middle name.  Just so similar to the OP's that I had to share.
  • So a few years ago I was working in Family Court (which actually helped me get my job now, even though it really gave me zero functional experience) and I SHIT YOU NOT I saw Lemonjello and Oranjello come through the division that handles child support of unwed parents. 

Dude" she's saying that she saw the names personally, in court. Do you think she's lying?
    Anniversary
  • There was a child at the preschool I worked at named SirMac.
  • I believe Hermoine is much more popular in the UK but unheard of over here. Kinda like Gemma and Flora. I knew so many people in England with those names, but had never heard of them before.

I have taught a Courage (boy) and Comfort (girl) in the past (bother and sister). They were from Africa before moving here. I can't think of any other stranger ones I've come across over the years. I have a slightly less common name and still buy anything with my name on it, cos I see it so rarely.

I also remember knowing a girl in England who refused to date any guys called Tyler cos it was such a strange name to her. I guess it's not as common in England, cos I thought it was really weird that she had a deal breaker like that. I thought Tyler was pretty normal. I think it's dumb to blame someone for what their parents named them.

• There is an extremely famous child in my town. How do I know she is extremely famous? I have only lived here two years, don't even have any kids, and have STILL heard about her from two different people.

Her name is La-a.

Pronounced: La-dash-a.

This is an urban legend and it has pretty racist origins.  There's a good chance you've never met this kid because she doesn't exist.

Apparently this has transferred out of urban legend status. People are actually naming their kids this now. A bunch of my friends and I got into name chat this weekend. My friend who is a teacher said she has had a La-a in her classroom. 
  • edited October 2014
    anjemon said:

There is an extremely famous child in my town. How do I know she is extremely famous? I have only lived here two years, don't even have any kids, and have STILL heard about her from two different people.

Her name is La-a.

This is an urban legend and it has pretty racist origins.  There's a good chance you've never met this kid because she doesn't exist.

Apparently this has transferred out of urban legend status. People are actually naming their kids this now. A bunch of my friends and I got into name chat this weekend. My friend who is a teacher said she has had a La-a in her classroom. 
    If they are, they're not giving their kids Social Security numbers. EVERYONE has stories about Le-a, Shithead, Lemonjello, etc, and they all swear that they're first-or second-hand accounts, but they never show up on the SSA name database. The zipped version includes all names given to 5 or more kids in any given year - last year was over 33,000 different names. These urban legend names don't show up in any recent years; I think one day I was bored and went back like 10 years and none of them show up. I find it pretty unlikely that 4 or fewer kids would have gained such notoriety.

There WERE five boys named Zzyzx born in 2010 though, so have your kindergarten teacher friends look out for them. And 37 girls named Hermione.

• @lolo883...there is a Zzyxx Rd. exit on I-15 in CA.  It's in the middle of NOWHERE...desert all around.  One will see it if they are driving from SoCal going to Vegas.  CSU Fullerton has some kind of facility off that exit, though you can't see it from the freeway.  I can only guess that is where those parents saw that word, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • anjemon said:

There is an extremely famous child in my town. How do I know she is extremely famous? I have only lived here two years, don't even have any kids, and have STILL heard about her from two different people.

Her name is La-a.

If they are, they're not giving their kids Social Security numbers. EVERYONE has stories about Le-a, Shithead, Lemonjello, etc, and they all swear that they're first-or second-hand accounts, but they never show up on the SSA name database. The zipped version includes all names given to 5 or more kids in any given year - last year was over 33,000 different names. These urban legend names don't show up in any recent years; I think one day I was bored and went back like 10 years and none of them show up. I find it pretty unlikely that 4 or fewer kids would have gained such notoriety.

There WERE five boys named Zzyzx born in 2010 though, so have your kindergarten teacher friends look out for them. And 37 girls named Hermione.

Knowledge!

You know what does show up though-- which totally sounds like an urban legend name?  Abcde, pronounced Ab-sa-dee.  There were 16 girls name Abcde last year.  One of my teacher friends told me she saw this name on her class roster and thought it was a clerical error.  Oops.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I teach high school. One of my students had to go get her family class baby project doll before the end of class. When she got back the name she gave it was "Rowdy Jesus". So I had to tell her about Daenarys, she loves the name. Teenagers.
  • I guy I know and his now-wife named their little girl Bella.  Seriously?  It's kind of a dumb name to begin with and two, you just had to jump on the Twilight band wagon?
  • I guy I know and his now-wife named their little girl Bella.  Seriously?  It's kind of a dumb name to begin with and two, you just had to jump on the Twilight band wagon?
    I think Isabella can be a pretty name, and since it existed well before Twilight, it's not like it'll be a name that's obviously pop culture-related in several years when people have forgotten entirely about that mess of a series.

For all we know, she's named after this fancy lady:
    I dated a guy with a daughter named Bella. She was born before Twilight was "a thing" - they named her that because of its connection to the word "beautiful" in Italian. I agree with @flantastic that it's a "real" enough name to not always be associated with that tripe.

• Where is @CMGragain with the naming rules?

The way I try to think about names for possible, maybe, could be future babies is: would I want to be named that? Would I want to have been named that in school, now and in the future? If there is any hesitation whatsoever, the answer is Nope. 

In my line of work, I've seen names such as Lucifer, King Ceezer, Stingray, Foggy Morning (first and middle), Copenhagen, VaRoom, and the list goes on. Just WTF people? W. T. F. 

ETF: hard words

Haha - I've had the nickname of "Foggy Morning" because of my real first and middle names.  :D

• HAHAH no. Just no. I've joked with my FH about naming our son (if we have one) Bruce Wayne as were both batman fans. We'd never do it. Like someone else said pop culture names are for pets. Our two cats names are Ra's Al Ghul and Crookshanks :)

• HAHAH no. Just no. I've joked with my FH about naming our son (if we have one) Bruce Wayne as were both batman fans. We'd never do it. Like someone else said pop culture names are for pets. Our two cats names are Ra's Al Ghul and Crookshanks :)
    Two of our goldfish are Bruce and Gordon.

H has suggested Bruce as a name for future son spawn. I'm not a fan for a person as much.

Anniversary
    I like the name Luke, but H keeps vetoing it for a boy because he claims people will think we are obsessed with Star Wars.

Um, this is not 1977 and Luke is not a trendy name.
    I know someone who named their daughter Chayse Meridian.  (Apparently that was the name of the character Nicole Kidman played in one of the Batman movies.)
  • sarahufl said:
    HAHAH no. Just no. I've joked with my FH about naming our son (if we have one) Bruce Wayne as were both batman fans. We'd never do it. Like someone else said pop culture names are for pets. Our two cats names are Ra's Al Ghul and Crookshanks :)
    I like the name Luke, but H keeps vetoing it for a boy because he claims people will think we are obsessed with Star Wars.

Ooohhh, I have a student named Lukas this year...goes by Luke, never even occurred to me (I'm 40) to associate it with Star Wars! Is that a win for you?
  • jenajjthr said:
    sarahufl said:
    HAHAH no. Just no. I've joked with my FH about naming our son (if we have one) Bruce Wayne as were both batman fans. We'd never do it. Like someone else said pop culture names are for pets. Our two cats names are Ra's Al Ghul and Crookshanks :)

Ooohhh, I have a student named Lukas this year...goes by Luke, never even occurred to me (I'm 40) to associate it with Star Wars! Is that a win for you?
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider "Luke" being a specific Star Wars reference either. It's never been an uncommon name, in my opinion.

Now, if you had twins and named them Luke and Leia or something like that, then yes, I would get the reference.
  • chibiyui said:
    I really like the name Adeline. But yeah, not feeling Daneryas. I mean, I'd love to name my daughter Zelda, but I also want to avoid placing a target on her back for bullies.
    I actually know someone who named her daughter Zelda.  The kid is 5, so I guess we'll see how that goes for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards