Wedding Woes

~*~Barbie~*~

Tell me about hedgie owning. I know about rat owning. Is it similar?

Re: ~*~Barbie~*~

• I don't know about rat owning. Similarities would probably be that they are nocturnal. 

They are primarily insectivores, so keeping live insects is going to be a good supplement to their diet (Hercules loves mealworms and crickets). I order speciality food through a company that supplies zoos, and mix in some dry hedgehog and insectivore food. I also order mealworms in bulk.Supposedly they like to eat fruit and veggies as treats, but Hercules has never been interested. 

They need to be handled a lot as babies so they are friendly. You get used to being spiked, but it still hurts. I'm betting rats are friendlier overall. 

Hercules has a 20gal tank with a screen lid and a red night light. you'll need to have a water bottle, some sort of food dish, and a house. We use old tshirts inside of the house so he has something to sleep on, and line the cage with aspen bedding ( i order in bulk from Amazon). From what I've read, cedar and pine bedding are not good for them, but the aspen was recommended. they will typically use one area of their cage as a bathroom, although ti can take a while before this happens. 

I give Hercules a bath about once a month with a little bit of baby shampoo and a toothbrush. he seems to both like and dislike the process. I also cut his nails, which can be something of a chore. 

I used the box that the aspen bedding wash shipped in to make a "run" for Hercules. I lined it with a towel, and put a few toys and his wheel in it. he loves running around in there. 

the "self-annointing" can be interesting to watch. if they find a scent they like, they will repeatedly lick that item and build up a "froth" in their mouth, and then start spreading it on their quills. 

They are illegal in PA - so something to keep in mind if you guys move there. 
  • Thanks for the info. I don't think any pet is in the future but I was curious. :D
  • I want a hedgie so bad but I live in a very cold climate and even inside my house it rarely is warmer than 65. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards