Not Engaged Yet

Planning your wardrobe

This will be a bit of a P&R but I'll be back later this afternoon. 

Can we talk about wardrobe planning? I've realized that I have approximately zero clothes that are good for transitioning into fall and then winter. My summer wardrobe was mostly OK (tons of dresses) but as the weather gets cooler I'm out of luck. 

I have VERY little money to work with, and very little time to shop. I've decided that I want to try to do a capsule wardrobe similar to the one here: http://www.un-fancy.com/. She actually just posted her fall wardrobe, which gives me more inspiration. 

My questions:

1) Have you tried to plan a capsule wardrobe before? (Limited number of pieces to mix and match; usually one capsule per season.)

2) Where do you shop for inexpensive yet quality basic items? 

3) What is your favorite outfit? Bonus points for pictures.

4) Do you shop continuously as you find things, or do you tend to shop all at once for each season?

5) Do you carry over most of your clothes from the previous year or do you get brand-new wardrobes each year?

6) Do you have a budget for clothing?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Love & Splits
A blog about running and life with pituitary tumors

Re: Planning your wardrobe

• Oh, and another question. What do we think of this shirt? It's from the Gap and it's supposed to be a slouchy, relaxed fit. Does it look OK? Too big? I'd like to order a few more (they're on SUPER sale!) and I need opinions. It is super comfy.

Two bathroom selfies from today, one closeup from when I wore it last week. 

Love & Splits
  • I think it's cute, but I wouldn't order more than 2 maaaaaaaaybe 3.  you want to mix it up!

I load up at Loft and BR Outlets here.  when I got my new job, I got rid of at least 1/2 my closet and went to Loft and BR Outlets and loaded up on actual adult pieces.

I do have some basics and I jazz them up with statement pieces, so I think that's similar to the capsule?  if I make a really cute outfit, I take a picture of it to remember it.  I also have like 10 outfits that I can throw together in 3 minutes or less, for mornings when I'm rushed.

what do you have in your closet (if anything) that could be used as transition pieces?  have you really gone through your closet and edited it, noted what you needed, what you had, etc?
  • I load up at Loft/Ann Taylor/Gap/Banana Republic (basically any Gap or Ann Taylor store) a few times per year. I carry over lots of stuff from year to year. I still have tops from like 5 years ago that I wear. Work-wise I usually get 2 or 3 pairs of slacks, some basic but cute tops, and some blazers or cardigans. I rotate through them throughout the year. For leisure stuff, I usually wear some form of pants (blue jeans, black pants, corduroy, etc) and then find some cute tops I like. Boots and/or a scarf in the fall and winter make everything cute, even super basic outfits. 

For transition pieces, a light jacket makes all the difference. I have three I usually go between--blue jean jacket, olive green, and khaki. 

I'm not suuuuuper fashionable though, so you may want to take my advice with a grain of salt :-P

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • 1. No, but it seems like a great idea! I guess you could say I have a capsule wardrobe...I tend to wear the same few things more often than all the other extraneous clothes I have.

2. I shop sales at Loft for jackets and jeans. They definitely seem to last through the years. I don't know how you would define inexpensive though...their jackets full price can be $100 or more but you can get them on sale for between $50 and $75. Depending on the piece, that cost can be worth it for me.

3. I'm probably wearing this outfit in half of my photos on Facebook. I really love this shirt and I definitely wear it too much. I have a navy one just like it that I've worn to literal rags.imageimage

4. I do a mix of both I guess? At the beginning of a season I'll sometimes need new things. Other times if I see a good deal on something out of season I'll buy it anyway to wear later.

5. I carry over most of my clothes. FI would kill me if I tried to buy a new wardrobe every year.

6. I try to maintain a budget but I'm still trying to settle with FI what a reasonable monthly amount is. I've had issues in the past with impulse buying some pieces and then rarely or never wearing them. A good example is the dress I wore for my bachelorette. It was an impulse purchase three years ago from White House Black Market. My bachelorette was the first time I've ever worn that dress...at least I got it on sale and not for full price.

• 1) Have you tried to plan a capsule wardrobe before? (Limited number of pieces to mix and match; usually one capsule per season.)

Until this post, I had never heard of one, so no, I've never planned a capsule wardrobe.

I suppose that depends on how we're defining inexpensive.  I enjoy shopping at Marshall's, TJMaxx, Nordstrom Rack, and Old Navy.  I also scour for sales and check out the clearance department at every store I shop in.

To be honest, I feel like most things I wear lately aren't super cute.  But I do have a gorgeous green print top that I love.  I usually pair it with jeans, a statement necklace, and boots or flats.

4) Do you shop continuously as you find things, or do you tend to shop all at once for each season?

If I find a particularly great sale, I'll buy as much as I want, but usually I buy in pieces.  A top here, a pair of jeans there.  That sort of thing.

5) Do you carry over most of your clothes from the previous year or do you get brand-new wardrobes each year?

Most of my clothes are at least 1-2 years old.  I have some clothes that are much older.

DH and I have a super conservative budget, and will for the next 6 months or so.  We get $100 per month (each) to spend on non-essentials.  (Makeup, clothes, gifts for others, mani/pedis, etc.)  So needless to say, I really don't buy clothes very often.  It's mostly on an as NEEDED basis.

7)  I do like that top!  I think it looks super cute!
  • 1) I'm finding out, I so suck at being a girl!!  I wear t-shirts and jeans most of the time.  Lately I've been trying to dress nicer just 'cause.

2) I feel really guilty spending money on myself, so most of my clothes are inexpensive.  I tend to shop Dressbarn, Kohls, and Old Navy.  I have found clothes at Target when I was just passing through the section.

3) trouser jeans, heels of some kind (boots usually), blouse/tank, jacket when I'm dressing up a little. Seriously, they're lucky I don't wear yoga pants to work everyday (and it's permitted in the dress code!)

4) I shop when I'm tired of all my clothes or I notice they are getting a little worn out.

5) I try to get a few brand new pieces but for the most part, I carry my wardrobes over

6) Of course, I'm not made of money!  I feel guilty spending more than $40 on a shirt and try to keep them more in the $35 and under range (and I try to always have a 20% coupon too).  Jeans I try to keep around $25 (Old Navy or Clearance - Eddie Bauer as those are the only 2 brands I like for pants) if I'm getting pants/non-jeans I'm ok with up to $40.  For Dresses I try to stay under $80.  These are just guidelines, I have spent a lot more on a pair of pants that I LOVED and shirts and dresses that I loved; but I do tend to try and keep a lower budget.

Anniversary
  • I shop here and there when there are sales or I have coupons.  And when I shop, I bargain shop.  My main stores are Kohls, Old Navy, and Ann Taylor Factory.  I live near a few outlet stores, and Ann Taylor has a big sale a few times a year where the whole store is 40-50% off and then anything on clearance is an additional 60% off lowest price. So I raid the clearance for my work clothes.  Kohls almost always has coupons and sales, but I also usually raid their clearance racks.  

I hoard clothes like crazy.  I just got rid of clothes from high school because they don't fit and there was no reason to hold on to them (I graduated hs 10 years ago).  But because of my hoarding I have never bought an entire wardrobe for a season. I should mention I hoard shirts and dresses, that is basically my whole wardrobe.  I have 3 pairs of dress pants and two pairs of jeans.  

Currently at work so don't have pictures.  My favorite clothing items are cardigans.  I think I own a cardigan in almost every color.  My office is business professional but I hate wearing suits, so I wear cardigans over my dresses, camisoles, and button ups.  And to transition into seasons I just add tights (black or dark brown) to any of my skirts or dresses. 

And I love that shirt. It's super cute and I'd get it in at least one other color. 
  • 1) Have you tried to plan a capsule wardrobe before? (Limited number of pieces to mix and match; usually one capsule per season.) I've heard of it but I definitely do not! I love clothes too much lol

2) Where do you shop for inexpensive yet quality basic items? I like Gap and Old Navy for staples, and I buy some nicer work stuff at Jacob (Canadian). H&M when I want something trendy for less. I love outlet shopping as well.

3) What is your favorite outfit? Bonus points for pictures. I'm at work so no pictures...I re-found a pair of shoes I forgot about this summer so I've been trying to wear them with everything. I have a lot of solids that I can mix and match, and a lot of outfits that I know go together well. My go-to outfits in the fall/winter are usually skinny black pants and a sweater or top and blazer, or a sweater dress with leggings and boots. In the summer it's basically all dresses and skirts.

4) Do you shop continuously as you find things, or do you tend to shop all at once for each season? A bit of both. At the beginning of each season I go through my clothes and figure out what needs to be replaced (worn out, dated, never fit right, etc) and figure out what I need for that season. I'll usually try to find most of it in one shot, but I tend to shop through the season a bit as well.

5) Do you carry over most of your clothes from the previous year or do you get brand-new wardrobes each year? Carry over for sure. I'm a clothes hoarder so I rarely get rid of stuff anyways. I really try to find stuff that's classic-modern. I also try to buy things that I can wear multiple seasons; I have a few cute dresses that I wear alone in the summer, but then pair with stockings and a blazer in the fall and winter.

6) Do you have a budget for clothing? Basically whatever money is left over after covering my needs for the month (rent, bills, transit, food, gifts I need to buy, etc)

I like the top in your picture; I'm trying to be okay with the slouchy oversized look; I'm small so I feel like it looks like I'm drowning sometimes.

If you get some cute/cheap flats and maybe some ankle boots, and a couple good sweaters or blazers, you might be able to wear some of your summer dresses through the fall and winter too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I shop sales, clearance racks, consignment stores, and coupons. The only place I avoid is JCPenney because the quality has gone way down. Mostly I wear solids (khakis or black dress pants) and sweaters during the fall and winter. I carry over to a ridiculous extent - most of my clothing is more than 3 years old, and I buy on an as-needed basis.
  • helloliv said:
    1) Have you tried to plan a capsule wardrobe before? (Limited number of pieces to mix and match; usually one capsule per season.) never heard of it so I guess not

2) Where do you shop for inexpensive yet quality basic items? TJ Maxx, Marshall's, H&M, NY&Co, Old Navy

3) What is your favorite outfit? Bonus points for pictures. Grey courdoroy skinny pants (old navy), black & white striped basic shirt (old navy), black blazer unbottoned (H&M), black mid calf biker looking boots with heel (Nine West).

4) Do you shop continuously as you find things, or do you tend to shop all at once for each season? I have SO many clothes that I try not to shop often. I usually go 3 months without getting anything, then at the beginning of a season I'll pick up like 5 new pieces. And donate a few from mine since I have so many.

5) Do you carry over most of your clothes from the previous year or do you get brand-new wardrobes each year? Mostly the same, I've been wearing the same blazer, cardigans, and pants for 5 years. I mostly change out the basic tees underneath.

6) Do you have a budget for clothing? Pretty low. Like I said I will buy about 5 pieces each season, and that is always $100 or less. Some girls over on Chit chat board were talking about the store Francesca's so I looked at it and fuck that. $40-50 for a shirt or a dress. I get all of mine at discount places like TJMaxx and will rarely ever spend more than $25 on one item. Shoes, I do get my $100 Nine West and quality running shoes because that's worth the investment to me, but only 1-2 times per year.

And I do think that shirt you have on in the pic is cute but a tad too big. I know it's supposed to be relaxed but it looks really big.

• jenna8984 said:
    helloliv said:
    1) Have you tried to plan a capsule wardrobe before? (Limited number of pieces to mix and match; usually one capsule per season.) never heard of it so I guess not

2) Where do you shop for inexpensive yet quality basic items? TJ Maxx, Marshall's, H&M, NY&Co, Old Navy

3) What is your favorite outfit? Bonus points for pictures. Grey courdoroy skinny pants (old navy), black & white striped basic shirt (old navy), black blazer unbottoned (H&M), black mid calf biker looking boots with heel (Nine West).

4) Do you shop continuously as you find things, or do you tend to shop all at once for each season? I have SO many clothes that I try not to shop often. I usually go 3 months without getting anything, then at the beginning of a season I'll pick up like 5 new pieces. And donate a few from mine since I have so many.

5) Do you carry over most of your clothes from the previous year or do you get brand-new wardrobes each year? Mostly the same, I've been wearing the same blazer, cardigans, and pants for 5 years. I mostly change out the basic tees underneath.

6) Do you have a budget for clothing? Pretty low. Like I said I will buy about 5 pieces each season, and that is always $100 or less. Some girls over on Chit chat board were talking about the store Francesca's so I looked at it and fuck that. $40-50 for a shirt or a dress. I get all of mine at discount places like TJMaxx and will rarely ever spend more than $25 on one item. Shoes, I do get my $100 Nine West and quality running shoes because that's worth the investment to me, but only 1-2 times per year.

And I do think that shirt you have on in the pic is cute but a tad too big. I know it's supposed to be relaxed but it looks really big.

We have a couple Francesca stores nearby and the selection is not very large. They only carry limited sizes, usually on the small side. I like the jewelry only. 

As far as a wardrobe, I buy a ton of accessories. I tend to find gorgeous scarves online at ruche and I buy almost every work dress from H&M, Nordstrom Rack and NY&Co. When I'm lucky and the sales are in my favor I can buy 3 dresses and a necklace for $100. NY&Co. has decent jewelry- always a sale too.
  • @helloliv - tops and sweaters at LOFT are 40% off today! 
  • speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    I should add, any shopping I do online I go through ebates first.  It's a cash back website and all you have to do is go through wherever you shop from their site.

Just was going through my email and have a few coupons for online shopping.

NY&Co is having an 80% fall clearance plus a coupon. If you go online here are the coupon codes: $30 off $100 or more PROMO 3550. $20 off $75 or more PROMO 3549. $15 off $50 or more PROMO 3548

Also on top of the 40% off for Ann Taylor, I got a coupon for 50% off entire purchase: MYSTERY50

• 1) Have you tried to plan a capsule wardrobe before? (Limited number of pieces to mix and match; usually one capsule per season.)
    Ehhh not really...maybe with half my clothes I do this but for most of them no.

I like to shop at Forever 21 or maybe Ann taylor loft in their sale section for the inexpensive pieces. I really don't shop for clothes much.
    I really like all my Lilly Pulitzer and Vineyard Vines clothes. Here is a picture of me in one of my Lilly Dresses with H on our honeymoon:
    I shop continuously...I don't shop much so whenever I do it's pretty random.
    I definitely carry over lol. I wear my clothes until I can't wear them anymore lol or they are just so out of style that it's almost embarrassing. 
    No not really. I just buy clothes when I'm able.
  • edited September 2014
    1) Have you tried to plan a capsule wardrobe before? (Limited number of pieces to mix and match; usually one capsule per season.)
    I have never heard of a capsul wardrobe...but it seems way to organized for me.

I really love shopping at Target. I'd say about 80% or more of my wardrobe is from Target right now. They have great sales and if they only have 1 color in the store...they usually have 4-6 other colors online. If you have their red card your get 5% off every purchase and free shipping. I also really like TJ Max/Ross/JC Penney's.

I'm really big into dresses. I wear them in the summer with sandals and fun necklaces. Then for fall/winter I change it up with boots, stockings and scarves. They are the most comfortable for me and super versatile. I recently purchased a few maternity dresses that ROCK. They don't actually look like maternity dresses (from Target of course!) at all so I'm already wearing them, but they'll work great through out this winter for me. I attached some pics. I have the sleeveless in aqua, black and army green and the 3/4 sleeved one in navy, light grey and merlot. I also scored some awesome wide-calf boots which i'm completely in love with right now!

I usually shop as I find things. Sometimes I'll drop $150 all at once...and then other times I won't buy anything new for 4 months. Just depends. I hate spending more than $25/piece for anything...so I am a bargain girl.

Depends. I have a couple things i've had since college that still fit great and are in good shape. Other things I purchased within the last month. Really depends. I gain a lot of confidence if I'm well dressed, so I do try to keep my wardrobe current and comfortable.  

H and I have a household budget. From that we each have "free money" that we get to spend on whatever we want. I can decide if I want to splurge on boots and not eat out for lunches that week...or if I've already blown my funds...I have to wait. We don't have a specific clothing allotment.

7) Bonus Question:
    I also do love the shirt. I'm one of those that tends to buy the same item in multiple colors if I love it. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it gets a little repetative. Make sure you truly love each color it comes in and know what you'll pair it with before you buy more.
  • Here are my pics because I forgot to add them!
  • edited September 2014
    oh and outfit!  today I'm wearing a skirt similar to this that I got at LOFT outlet.  I used my Shopular app and got an additional 40% off my entire purchase in addition to the outlet sales.

my skirt is knee-length, a lighter blue with a more textured fabric, and tiny specks of color in it)
    http://www.fizzandfrosting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/bow-polka-dot-skirt.jpg

and a lime-ish green short sleeve skirt, neutral Steve Madden flats I got at DSW. 

ETA:  I just got an email saying The Limited is having a 40% off everything plus another 20% off $100+ (SAVE20).  there should be some really great sales coming up around Columbus Day, so if you have outlets anywhere near I'd hit them up that weekend!!  I'm going to try to get a lot of Christmas shopping done that weekend.
  • @cocobellaf that skirt is adorable! 
  • thanks, @speakeasy14! I love it.  I picked up like 4 or 5 skirts at the LOFT outlet that never need to be ironed or anything, for $19.10 each after all the discounts.  I love this one, I think it'll be great with tights and boots when it's colder.
  • @helloliv I have MISSED YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!  Glad to see your face again.  Sorry I crashed your post.  Can't really help here as I am still transitioning from pregnant lady clothes to mom clothes to "Lyn" again clothes.  So you know no more yoga pants for this gal.
  • I am the worst and I never came back to this. Had a SHITTASTIC last 24 hours. I'll respond ASAP! xoxo

Love & Splits
  • 50% off at LOFT today on one full price item, LUCKY50.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards