Destination Weddings Discussions

Did you have a Bridal party? Is it too late to ask?

I am having a small destination wedding (around 35 guests). I originally didn't want to ask any of my friends to be BMs because I didn't want them to feel obligated to come since it's a destination wedding. Fiance however has a very close friend that he wanted to be best man...who knows we are not having a bridal party but somewhere along the way Fiance is calling him a "honorary" best man although he does not have a role in the ceremony. He did plan Fiances bachelor party. I have told Fiance if he wants his friend involved in the ceremony that is fine with me. The wedding is a month away and I am now wondering if I should have asked my close friend to be my maid of honor. She planned my bachelorette party. I have 2 other friends that are invited to the wedding (neither has RSVP'd) that I originally felt if I didn't ask them to be a BM that it may hurt their feelings. But as time has gone by with the wedding planning I've felt closer to my friend I've considered asking to be MOH. However, I don't want to spring this on my friend last minute and make her feel stressed. She also had her first baby 2 months ago. So now that time has gone by with all the wedding planning I am wondering if Fiance and I should go ahead with a Best man and Maid of Honor? Is it too late/rude to ask?

Re: Did you have a Bridal party? Is it too late to ask?

• msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014

While it is a little late, if you are simply asking them to stand next to you during the ceremony, and aren't requiring any specific attire, I think there's no harm in asking. I'd also probably only do this if I knew they were going, because, as you alluded to, you don't want it to seem like you are pressuring them to go. If it's a DW, is your friend with a brand new baby going to travel for that?

ETA: I agree that "honorary" is a silly title. And, yes, I did have a bridal party at my DW.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • We had a MOH and a BM.  My best friend had previously stated that she didn't care where or when I was getting married, she just wanted 48 hours notice to get herself there.  My eloping was not an option, by the way.  ;)  BM was DH's brother.  

You can also have uneven sides.  If your FI does want his friend there, he can have a BM.  You can also ask your friend(s) if you want to, but I wouldn't expect them to get matching dresses or such at this point.  Is she already planning on attending??  If yes, then nothing else is expected other than standing up beside you and maybe signing the license.  Shouldn't be too stressful.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards