Chit Chat

Registering online?

Did any of you ladies do your registry completely online? Is it really necessary to go to a physical store to set up a registry? We're looking at stuff on the BBB and Target websites, and I'd really like to avoid going to the store to register if we can. Is there any reason that we absolutely should go do it in the store?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registering online?

• I did the BBB one completely online.  I don't need to feel the Oxo handle on every kitchen utensil the way I need to feel sheets and towels.  (We did linens from Macys and went in person but have added more stuff online)

• We did Williams Sonoma and Target completely online, and Macy's 90% online. Just went to Macy's (after we had initially set it up online, so we didn't get hounded by consultants) to manhandle the silverware, sheets and towels. We made sure that we chose a good selection of online only, online and in-store, and in-store only items. 

• We registered in person at Crate and Barrel, mostly because I wanted to go to their registration party, but, we registered online for Macy's. It was nice at Crate and Barrel to physically be able to look at and touch stuff, mainly because we chose our dishes from there. We mainly did things like pots, pans, and towels from Macy's. For me, there was less of a need to actually see those items in person, especially if I can just read reviews. I have made edits to our Crate and Barrel registry online though.

• I actually picked the stores based on whether I would be able to do the registries entirely online. Although I did go into one of the stores a while later and just happened to see one of the items I registered for. I decided I didn't actually want it, so I took it off the registry (online).

• I was so completely overwhelmed when we went in to register at the store that we ended up doing both Target and Macy's almost completely online. FI has some serious texture issues, so we stopped by Target to check out bathroom rugs and such.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We registered online at Target but, went to the store for BBB. We ended up doing it that way because I wanted to look at the physical items BBB had because we don't shop there as frequently. However Target is like my second home so I already knew a lot of the stuff we wanted from there so it was easier just to go it online. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I don't think it's necessary, but I don't think I'd want to register for something I haven't been able to inspect in person. We went to all of the usual registry stores (BBB, Target, Crate/Barrel), picked things we liked at each, and then created an Amazon universal registry where everything was either the same price or cheaper (and free shipping if eligible since we have Prime and those who buy off of our registry are grandfathered in). We included in the comments section what stores each item can be bought at so that people who are not online shoppers can still go buy the tangible item. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks ladies! I definitely want to go check out the stuff in person before we register. I just want to comparison shop online first, and I don't want to deal with the sales person or the scanner gun in the store. FI will go overboard if he get's that thing in his hands...so much for a small registry if that happens.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ditto PPs. We chose BBB and Target because so much could be done online.  I did go back to the store and feel the sheets and towels we picked to try to be safe.  Didn't work - we found that as soft as the microfiber towels are, it's kind of like drying off with a teddy bear.  So we know now to save the microfiber for sheets and blankets.
    Anniversary

• I started both of my registries in-store, but went back and updated online and from there on out any changes made were online.  I only went in store (BBB) really to look at the china patterns (and I am glad I did because the one I liked online looked totally different in person).  And there were some things I did not see online but saw in the store that I liked.  Before we went to the store though I had looked at stuff here and there for a few weeks so already had an idea of what I wanted.  H came to the store to look at things with me and I wanted his opinion and knew I would not keep him focused if it was online.  We used the associate to do the china patterns and then I said we would like to look ourselves and will find them if they had questions and she let us be, but checked in here and there which was nice. 

I originally did not plan on registering at Kohls but was in the store one day and I saw corning ware dishes that I absolutely loved so I went ahead and made a small registry there too.  Again, after I went through the store I did the rest online.  

Anniversary
  • Totally cool to just register online, but make sure you're not registering for all things that are online-only, so your guests can shop in-store if they prefer.
  • We did our Kohl's and Younkers registries mostly online. However - there were things at both stores that were available only in store and not online that we needed to physically register for at the store!
  • I did the bulk (and started) our Macy's registry online.  I went into the store to look at the plates and flat ware.  I wanted to touch them, pick them up to feel the weight, and speak with someone about duribility.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I registered at Target in person and ended up being really disappointed. When I went to look at my registry online, a ton of stuff either "wasn't currently available" or "available in-store only." Therefore it was basically a complete waste of time to even do it in the store. I ended up deleting almost everything and then re-doing it online which worked out a lot better, because you could see what was available to order and what wasn't. 
  • I registered at Target in person and ended up being really disappointed. When I went to look at my registry online, a ton of stuff either "wasn't currently available" or "available in-store only." Therefore it was basically a complete waste of time to even do it in the store. I ended up deleting almost everything and then re-doing it online which worked out a lot better, because you could see what was available to order and what wasn't. 
    I found that with Target, a lot of things change all the time. Things we had chosen online because they were available in store and online would switch to in store only, or - my favorite - "currently unavailable online and not sold in stores." WTF?! Then take it off your GD website, don't just tempt me with what might have been!

I found that with Target, a lot of things change all the time. Things we had chosen online because they were available in store and online would switch to in store only, or - my favorite - "currently unavailable online and not sold in stores." WTF?! Then take it off your GD website, don't just tempt me with what might have been!
    Haha yeah I feel like now I have to babysit that registry just so guests don't get annoyed if they decide to get us something and it then becomes impossible to buy. Bad, bad, bad site management. 
    Haha yeah I feel like now I have to babysit that registry just so guests don't get annoyed if they decide to get us something and it then becomes impossible to buy. Bad, bad, bad site management. 
    Bastards kept me from getting the dishes AND dish towels I wanted. Grrr.

• We did most of it online. We registered at Crate & Barrel, Target, and Amazon. Amazon was obviously online.

C & B was going to be done in-store but it was so crowded whenever we went that online just worked out better. For Target, we did most of it online then went to the store to see colors-- for our towels and new shower curtain, we wanted to make sure that everything matched.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I registered 100% online at Target and Bloomingdales.

YES! I loooooovee me some Target, but this was bullshit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards