Oregon
Options

budget friendly wedding

hello so im trying to find a place for my wedding in the portland metro area but running into road blocks my fi and i have decided on a 5,000 budget for the whole wedding and i have three places in mind which are blue lake park, edgfield, and crystal springs rhododendron garden. and advice and input would be amazing thanks

Re: budget friendly wedding

• Options
    thecatergatorthecatergator member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think that the Portland Chinese Gardens during June would be great for a small outdoor wedding ceremony.  There is a 50% discount for June ceremonies.  The reception buffet could be at the Portland City Grill (great views.)  The guests could get onto a trimet bus in fareless square to go from the Chinese gardens to the Portland City Grill again, great urban type shots.)  This would only work on your budget if it were in the "off" season for the Chinese Gardens.  Here is the link:

http://www.lansugarden.org/images/uploads/Lan_Su_Wedding_Packet_2011_email.pdf

• Options
    edited December 2011
    we are looking for auguest and looking at the east side of portland
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of those, Edgefield will give you the most bang for your buck.  It's fairly all inclusive, so you wouldn't have to find a separate caterer, rent chairs or linens, things like that.  If you go with the other two, you'll have to take care of everything - tables, chairs, linens, clean up, set up, a sound system, everything.  Keep that in mind as you price things out and think of your timelines.  Will you have the time, energy, and help to do all of the picking up of rentals, setting them up, cleaning them up, and returning?  You'll also need to find a caterer, which is fun but can be expensive, depending on what you're looking for.
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wait - when you say 5K for the whole wedding, do you mean *everything* - dress, tux, rings, the whole shebang?  Because the food and drink minimum at Edgefield is $5000 I think.
  • Options
    sdrakkansdrakkan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know the Attic at Edgefield is 3500 minimum. I wanted the garden but it was already booked. And the Crystal Ballroom is 6000 minimum.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers image I'm in love with a nerd!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

not for everything my ring is paid for and my parents are buying my dress everything else needs to be 5,000

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Keep in mind McMenamins also has a mandatory 18% gratuity that is not included in the food/drink minimum and would be extra.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our entire wedding budget (not including honeymoon) was also $5000.  It's absolutely do-able, but you will also have to make some compromises to make it work and take on a lot of DIY projects (and eliminate a lot of "typical" wedding expenses).  If you are not willing to consider anything that's not eastside of Portland, that's definitely going to limit your budget-friendly venue options.

Edgefield is a good option (or what about Kennedy School?).  For $5000 you're really looking to find a place that will throw in as much as you can get- catering, tables, linens, chairs, etc.  Or, you're looking for a "cheap" venue that will allow you to bring in your own catering (or DIY your food). 

You might also look at: Troutdale House, Leach Botanical Garden, Lakeside Gardens, Mt Tabor Park amphitheater (could do ceremony here and then hold reception at a nearby restaurant?). 

I would steer anyone away from Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden if they're on a tight budget.  IMO they are not the easiest of venues to work with, and won't be kind to your bottom line.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks ill have to check these out
  • Options
    yamahachicayamahachica member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey if you were wanting an outdoor wedding and Sandy isn't too far, there is a new place called Mountain View Weddings. They give you just the space and it's only $850.00 but you have to rent everything else that you would want. Just lettting you know, it's gorgeous up there. Look them up on Facebook!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards