Budget Weddings Forum

Healthy Snacks for Guest Bags?

I am trying to fill guests out of town bag with some "healthy" snacks. My ideas so far include fruit (apple/pear/orange, probably not banana since they age faster in bags), some almonds or other healthy nut, some raisins (even though I know dried fruit isn't always the healthiest), or possibly some health or protein bars. Any other suggestions for some healthy options that do not need to be refrigerated or microwaved?

Re: Healthy Snacks for Guest Bags?

• bottle of water, trail mix, a couple pieces of dark chocolate...
  • Those are good ideas. I also love those little bags of Smart Pop or apple chips.

I'd also ask this: are you sure you want it all to be healthy? I look at welcome bags as treats more than snacks. If I'm looking for a treat for a special occasion, the last thing I want is an orange (unless it's sliced and dipped in chocolate).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you're on a budget, skip the bags.  Make sure you have lots of good food, appetizers, and alcohol at your reception before you worry about these.  I don't take reusable totes or a lot of the stuff people put in these bags with me because I don't have space in my luggage and don't need any more trinket-y stuff.  Yours doesn't sound so bad since it's edible things, but really, guests don't need a welcome bag to feel special.  They need to be well fed and have a good time.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Those are good ideas. I also love those little bags of Smart Pop or apple chips.

I'd also ask this: are you sure you want it all to be healthy? I look at welcome bags as treats more than snacks. If I'm looking for a treat for a special occasion, the last thing I want is an orange (unless it's sliced and dipped in chocolate).
    This.

I can get an orange anywhere.   I do not "need" an OOT bag, but if I was to get one I would prefer a treat unique to the area. 

For example we gave our guests salt-water taffy and taskykakes.  Both items unique to the area where we had the wedding.

ETA - I live in CO now.  There are quite a few local companies producing granola bars, stuffed marshmallows, beef jerky, etc.  I would look around at some mom/pop stores to see if anyone has locally made healthier snacks.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have zero healthy snacks in my bags. Is this a problem? So far I have champagne, beer, candy and cookies. Is this gross?
  •   

Those are good ideas. I also love those little bags of Smart Pop or apple chips.

Haha. This was actually the only healthy snack I was remotely considering... because we are getting married in a place that was known for the citrus industry and there's a citrus-motif all around downtown and worked into our wedding decor. And throwing a lemon in there didn't make a lot of sense.
  • If you're talking snacks for the hotel bag, I say go with savory and hearty stuff.  I go straight for the giant size Snickers immediately after arriving back at the hotel room after the reception.  I need something serious to finish soaking up all the booze I've ingested.  Then I want something salty like Cool Ranch Doritos which I would never ever buy for myself or have in my house in any normal circumstance.  I wouldn't say no to a crackers and cheese or crackers and peanut butter packet.  Or, oooh, speaking of crackers, Chicken in a Biscuit.  YUM!  Anyway, feel free to put a few healthy snacks in there, but if you want to give people what they want, I say giant Snickers.
  • snack size bag of preztels are always good

• lyndausvi said:

This.

I can get an orange anywhere.   I do not "need" an OOT bag, but if I was to get one I would prefer a treat unique to the area. 

For example we gave our guests salt-water taffy and taskykakes.  Both items unique to the area where we had the wedding.

ETA - I live in CO now.  There are quite a few local companies producing granola bars, stuffed marshmallows, beef jerky, etc.  I would look around at some mom/pop stores to see if anyone has locally made healthier snacks.
    THIS SO MUCH!  One of my favorite things on vacation is searching for snacks either I can't get at home (hello ketchup chips!) or are specialties of the area (just came back from eating so many things made of rhubarb because that's one of the local points of pride in the town I was vacationing in).  If I'm traveling to your wedding, I can get pretzels and a snickers out of the hotel vending machine and I likely came with a few Lara bars, a pouch of trail mix, and some fruit snacks in my purse.  Go with something local.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards