Wedding Woes
Options

I regret being an asshole

Dear Prudence,
A few weeks ago I was on a multicity business trip that was extremely tiring. The bright spot was that my last stop was at a five-star resort and I only had one quick and enjoyable work task to do there. However, when I got there I found noisy construction workers in my hallway, spotty Wi-Fi, underwhelming meals, and blurry television reception. I got increasingly angry about each of these inconveniences. Eventually, I threw a fit and demanded to see the manager. Everyone I spoke with at the hotel was exceedingly nice, but I was incensed. They ended up comping the entire bill, providing free transportation to the airport, and giving me a voucher for a two-night stay in a suite. The problem is that now I feel guilty about the way I acted and that I shouldn’t use the voucher. Since it was a business trip, I’m afraid my behavior may have reflected poorly on my company, and I may have received special treatment because the name badge I was wearing said “Speaker—VIP” (eye roll). I hate people who act like big shots and make life harder for people who are just doing their jobs! Should I book the return trip, and if so, should I do anything to convey that I’m not a persnickety shrew?

—Hopefully a Nice Person

Re: I regret being an asshole

• Options
    The writer sure seems full of self-loathing.

Start with the most professional and earnest apology letter the writer can write. Apologize personally and on behalf of the company, point out how accommodating, professional, friendly and generous they were under the circumstances. Add in that you would highly recommend their resort to anyone.

We're all assholes on occasion and dealing with some clients at those times can be withering experiences. An earnest apology and some humility would truly blow me away and generate a lot of good will.

Using the voucher may have some other weirdness that has more to do with business trip expenses and what happens with freebies and such than anything.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards