Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Shuttle Questions

Hi guys! I'm struggling with my shuttle situation, which is not ideal. Any opinions or thoughts appreciated. 

Approximately 30 guests are staying at a hotel 10 minutes from our venue. The hotel is giving us two complimentary shuttle trips. We've asked if we can add another one and even pay for it, and they said no because the primary purpose of the shuttle is to take hotel guests to and from the airport all day and they need it for that. OK fine. Two trips seemed better to me than zero trips. (But now I'm not so sure.)

Each shuttle trip will take 10 guests. So 20 guests will be able to take the shuttle, split over two trips.  And the remaining 10 guests will need to drive themselves to the venue, take cabs (which are plentiful) or take Uber. A few of the families at the hotel have babies, so I'm assuming (hoping) they will drive themselves because they will need a carseat and a stroller and all other baby-related nonesense.  But there will still have to be a couple others that get themselves to the venue without the shuttle.

Sooo... I'm struggling with how to explain this, tactfully, to guests. Everything I come up with seems tacky and tier-y. 

I was thinking I would include a card in the welcome bag that says something like....

How to Get Around

Cab name/#

Another Cab name/#

Uber also serves Downtown XXX, if you don't have an account, you can download the app on your smartphone, visit uber.com for info

Complimentary Valet Parking at the Venue

A hotel shuttle will also be available at 4:25 and 4:45 to take approximately 20 guests (10 guests per trip) to the venue. The shuttle will return to the venue at 9:45 and 10:45pm to take guests back to the hotel.

Is this the tackiest thing you have ever seen??? Should I just leave the shuttle info off all together and just verbally tell the older guests about the shuttle so the younger people (who already use Uber) take Uber or cabs instead? What if the younger people then see the shuttle and are like, "WTF"? Should I just can the shuttle alltogether since it can't take everyone? Am I overthinking all of this like a crazy person?

Re: Shuttle Questions

• Options
    Honestly, if the shuttle can't accommodate everyone who might potentially use it and leave people stranded needing a cab, I wouldn't use it at all.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'd be super pissed if I wasn't able to get on the shuttle if it was listed anywhere that I could use it.  Is the shuttle going TO your venue as well?  Because I'd be doubly pissed if I was able to take the shuttle TO the venue, and then had to find a cab for the way home....

@southernbelle0915 is totally right - if not everyone will be able to use it, don't have one at all. 
  • Options
    If its in the budget to pay for a shuttle and the hotel won't let you, why not rent a coach bus for a shuttle? I have been to several weddings that have used buses as a shuttle and we will be doing the same. They hold a large number of people and won't leave anyone behind. It also prevents anyone from drinking and driving.
  • Options
    jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    Unfortunately, not in the budget. My wedding is also two weeks away so I doubt we'd find one. Also, so over adding things to my worry list at this point. I think I'm just going to scrap the hotel shuttle all together. People can get themselves to the venue. It's 2.5 miles away. Cab rides are going to be about $6-7 and I'm already paying for valet at the venue if they want to drive themselves. Thanks for helping me decide, guys!
  • Options
    I would skip the hotel shuttle totally. But see if the hotel can work for you for the end of ceremony for the shuttle so you can offer that for any guests that may have drank too much that are staying at the hotel.
  • Options
    I'd either skip it or hire an independent shuttle that can accommodate all of your guests.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Is that hotel where family is staying? Personally, if you provide plenty of info for the rest of the guest for taxis but pass on the shuttle information to your mom & grandmother, as a guest I wouldn't mind. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards