Snarky Brides

I am terrible

On Saturday, H and I had dinner with his family. MIL brought us some wedding presents that were sent to their house instead of ours. (Really? The invitations and RSVPs had our address on them....) A couple of very nice old ladies who are friends with MIL bought us a customized door knocker, engraved with our new last name.

...Except, there's a grammar error. It says "The LastName's". With an apostrophe. We both majored in English in college, and I can't even handle this thing because it's wrong and I judge it and I'm a terrible ungrateful person.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
eyeroll

Re: I am terrible

• Yep.  That would make me completely crazy and would never, ever in a million years go up on my door.  Gross.  Can you maybe hang it on your back fence with some bling hanging down from it for the vines to grab on to?
  • adk19 said:
    Yep.  That would make me completely crazy and would never, ever in a million years go up on my door.  Gross.  Can you maybe hang it on your back fence with some bling hanging down from it for the vines to grab on to?
    Just might. Will probably be joined by the holiday-themed yard flags. Nothing against the lady who gave them to us, I am just not a yard flag person at all. She gives them to everyone, though, so I should have expected them.
    eyeroll
  • I completely agree.  Both my FI and I were Journalism majors.  The entire reason I messaged him on OK Cupid is because we both talked about our love of the Oxford Comma in our profiles.  I would not be able to use that door knocker haha.

• adk19 said:
    Yay for the Oxford comma!  Boo for using apostrophes to pluralize shit.
    Agreed. People say modern education is crappy, and I beg those people to think of all the educated senior citizens who still can't use grammar correctly.
    eyeroll
  • Do you know where it came from? Send it back and ask for the correct name.
  • jenna8984 said:
    Well technically it is labeling YOUR door as belonging to you hahahah

that's what I was going to say!
  • Sigh. We got a gift like this as well. Luckily it's only a beer koozie personalized with our last name but still. Drives me insane to look at it. It was a gift from a good friend so I would never, ever say anything and thanked her graciously but secretly, I judge.
  • After I graduated college, my cousin bought me a nice expensive pen/pencil set... engraved with my name... except my name was misspelled! Really? If you are going to engrave someone's name, get the spelling correct. Same with grammar. If you are going to permanently mark something for a gift, spend the time to get it right.

• I wouldn't use it either. 

Someone gave us a personalized address stamp with our last name spelled wrong.

• I completely agree.  Both my FI and I were Journalism majors.  The entire reason I messaged him on OK Cupid is because we both talked about our love of the Oxford Comma in our profiles.  I would not be able to use that door knocker haha.
    My FI and I were too! He was in Broadcast Journalism and I was in print.

I would never be able to use that. 
  • I wouldn't use it either. 

Nooooooooooooooooooo
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

I am a working journalist, and I leave out the oxford comma under duress.
  • I'd just quietly dispose of the thing. I. Just. Can't. With. That. Rogue apostrophes kill me.
  • beethery said:
    I wouldn't use it either. 

Nooooooooooooooooooo
    Yuuuuup. Like instead of "Lolo and H Smith" it's "Lolo and H Stmith."

• @lolo883 should I photoshop your and H's faces on some saints, and then you can be the St. ____s?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    @lolo883 should I photoshop your and H's faces on some saints, and then you can be the St. ____s?
    Absolutely.

• People are too stupid to be allowed to go out in public.
    I completely agree.  Both my FI and I were Journalism majors.  The entire reason I messaged him on OK Cupid is because we both talked about our love of the Oxford Comma in our profiles.  I would not be able to use that door knocker haha.

Copy editor here. We aren't allowed to use it at work. It's the WORST.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • adk19 said:
    I saw personalized shit on Pinterest that pissed me off, the link took me to Etsy.  I emailed the woman to ask if I ordered one with my last name, if I could have it without the apostrophe.  Because every. single. example she had of this stupid personalized item had the damn apostrophe.  She emailed me back saying something about how she was recently cyber-bullied about this (bullied?  really?  or just mildly annoyed?), and that, of course, she always emails the person back to ask if they want it with an apostrophe or without.  Which killed me.  Because, really?  I place an order, I'd like this stupid thing to have my last name on it.  Johnson.  The Johnsons.  Does she really email me back to say, do you want it to say Johnsons?  or Johnson's?  And seriously, did every single person email her back and say, "with an apostrophe, of course"?  So much so that she doesn't have any example photos of the ones that don't have the apostrophe?  Yeah, I doubt that.
    Shoot.... I feel really dumb right now and I was a journalism major as well. (My grammar was never perfect, hence one reason I'm not a journalist by trade.)

I would think a sign on the door would indicate to whom the home belongs. There are two or more people in a home with the last name Johnson. Therefore, shouldn't the sign be plural possessive? The Johnsons'.  Otherwise, just The Johnsons would indicate the title of the home, or indicate an introduction. Like, "Hi, we're the Johnsons."

What are we trying to say here?  

It drove me nuts when I worked in the magazine industry that they wouldn't let me use it because they couldn't afford the character.  It gave me anxiety haha.

• adk19 said:
    I saw personalized shit on Pinterest that pissed me off, the link took me to Etsy.  I emailed the woman to ask if I ordered one with my last name, if I could have it without the apostrophe.  Because every. single. example she had of this stupid personalized item had the damn apostrophe.  She emailed me back saying something about how she was recently cyber-bullied about this (bullied?  really?  or just mildly annoyed?), and that, of course, she always emails the person back to ask if they want it with an apostrophe or without.  Which killed me.  Because, really?  I place an order, I'd like this stupid thing to have my last name on it.  Johnson.  The Johnsons.  Does she really email me back to say, do you want it to say Johnsons?  or Johnson's?  And seriously, did every single person email her back and say, "with an apostrophe, of course"?  So much so that she doesn't have any example photos of the ones that don't have the apostrophe?  Yeah, I doubt that.
    Shoot.... I feel really dumb right now and I was a journalism major as well. (My grammar was never perfect, hence one reason I'm not a journalist by trade.)

I would think a sign on the door would indicate to whom the home belongs. There are two or more people in a home with the last name Johnson. Therefore, shouldn't the sign be plural possessive? The Johnsons'.  Otherwise, just The Johnsons would indicate the title of the home, or indicate an introduction. Like, "Hi, we're the Johnsons."

What are we trying to say here?  
    You are correct.  If the apostrophe is where it is in your example.  But these things said The Johnson's.
  • Non-journalism person here, please be kind...what in the world is an Oxford comma?
  • edited October 2014
    jenajjthr said:

Non-journalism person here, please be kind...what in the world is an Oxford comma?

The comma before the "and" in a list. "Apples, oranges, pears, and bananas" vs "apples, oranges, pears and bananas."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards