Outdoor Weddings
Options

Silly Question Maybe?? *Pic Heavy*

My fiance and I are getting married at an apple orchard next June. We are not getting married in the orchard but in the area shown in the pics below.

This area is a very shaded area and semi breezy because it is on a small pond. We are having a very intimate evening wedding and I want candles galore. Like, a ridculous amount of candles.  I am adding the fabric to the stage like in the picture below as well but then adding the wood and candles to it, as well as the aisle way and probably on the tables. 

Everyone keeps telling me I am so brave having an outdoor wedding, and so far I’ve just blown it off. Now I am starting to PANIC about everything. Lol

My question now is lighting all the candles and keeping them lit. Anybody else use a bunch of candles for an outdoor wedding? Any tricks or tips you can share? Someone mentioned LED candles, but I can’t stand the look of them. And maybe if they are all in little glass holders of some sort that will block the wind if there happens to be wind?

Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Silly Question Maybe?? *Pic Heavy*

• Options
    Do you have a plan B if it was to rain? If not you need a plan B. As for the candles I would put them in deep glass vases. Kind of like the pillar candles in the picture you posted. Since they will be set lower in the glass the less likely they will be blown out by the breeze. Tiny votive may be an issue though in regards to staying lit.

• Options
    A lot of venues will actually insist on candles being in some kind of votive or container, for fire safety reasons. I like glass vessels of all shapes and sizes, personally. I would also look into hanging lights (christmas lights, mini lanterns, paper globes, etc). Not only will they be a godsend if candles DO blow out, they'll offer some light from above that will help you see and be seen more than just candles will. Look into a tent at the very least. Is the reception also outdoors? Most people can handle 20 minutes under a tent in the rain for a ceremony, but no one wants to spend 4 hours under one for a rainy reception.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    First, Does your venue allow candles? If not, you might be stuck with flameless candles. Second, you need a plan B and then you need to mentally prepare yourself that you might have to use your plan b. I would use flameless candles bc I wouldn want to standing around 30 minutes before I was getting married lighting candles. Unless you have a DOC who will do it for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes!  What @KatWAG said.  My outdoor venue didn't allow candles.  Presumably because it was a historic estate and had lots of race horses on premises.  

Consider whether editing or some lanterns/lights would be aesthetically appealing.  Too many candles could end up looking like a seance if not done tastefully/artistically.
  • Options
    Ugh, I worked a wedding a few weeks ago with the real candles.  It was breeze and they kept blowing out.    The FOB (who paid) insisted that someone run around relighting them all night long.  So stupid and a complete waste of a body.

There are some nice battery operated candles that would work.   Definitely tall glass containers will work.  You can even use shepard hooks to hang candles.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I had a candelabra to use at mine for the unity candle ceremony. Wind made it difficult to light and they kept blowing out. And I didn't think it was windy. I would not plan on candles as your primary means of decorating.
  • Options
    What about lantern-style candle holders? They seem like they would be enclosed enough to keep candles from burning out. 
  • Options
    The picture below is one of the many led candles I have in my house.  It has a wick, it's wax, it's vanilla scented, and you can't see this in the photo, but it flickers when it's on.  I know there are some led candles with that big fake flame, but there are many like this that look exactly like real candles.  And they're remote controlled, which is extra nice.  The will cost more, but if you can swing the price, it might be a really good option for you.

• Options
    Another vote to check with your venue about rules on candles, it would be shame to spend money on lots of candles & then you have to change things up. I do love the look you are going for. I think putting them in tall vases or laterns will help reduce the chance of them blowing out, but no guarantee. The only way you can guarantee that they stay lit outside is battery operated candles. Even indoors, I've been to several events where the floating candles don't last long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards