Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Recommendations for hair product?

I have short hair (like above shoulders, around the middle of my neck) and I have no intention of growing it out. I don't look good with long hair. Because of this, I can't justify spending the $100 - $200 I was quoted to style my hair for the wedding so I'm planning to do my own hair. My hair is usually pretty easy to work with without product, in fact, I never use product. I'm worried about putting chemicals in my hair since I already have to be careful about the kind of shampoo that I can use (most shampoo makes my hair fall out, like seriously small locks of hair will just fall out). Does anyone have any recommendations for organic hair product or hair product for someone who has sensitive hair?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Recommendations for hair product?

• If you are doing your own hair, I am not sure why you just don't use your regular products.  Are you concerned with frizz or the look you create not holding?  If those are the only reasons, go to a natural food store (we have Whole Foods in FL) and check out their lines of organic products.  Be mindful of the fact that, although many products bill themselves as organic, they do have chemicals.  Also, even if you don't want to pay the CRAZY rates that brides get charged, you could make a regualar wash and blow dry appointment with your usual stylist for the morning of anyway.
  • This depends immensely on what kind of hair you have -- mine is super thick, coarse, and curly, so the products I use are very specific for my hair. 

I'm with @LauderdalePink, too -- why can't you use your usual products? 
  • @Lauderdale Pink : I actually don't usually use any product in my hair (or make up for that matter). I guess I'm a bit of a tomboy but I never saw the point prettying myself up except for special occasions (and even then, just make up, no hair product) so I don't even know where to start on these things. A wash and blow dry appointment sounds like a really good idea though and I'll definitely consider it! Thank you! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Aveda actually has some options. They're products aren't organic, but I find them quite gentle. 

I don't know what your specific concerns are, but the following lists some of my favourite gentle Aveda products:

- The Shampure shampoo and conditioner are extremely gentle;
    - The Volumizing Tonic helps to create some volume if used before blow drying (I find this formula to be more gentle than some of their other volumizing products. It essentially leaves no residue.);
    - The Smooth Infusion Style Prep Smoother is amazing at reducing frizz (particularly on thinner hair);
    - The Light Elements Texturizing Cream is great for adding texture to thinner hair; and,
    - The Air Control Hair Spray is a great light hold hairspray.

I've never used it because it's too heavy for my thin hair, but my mom says that the Brilliant Universal Styling Cream is great for adding texture and reducing frizz on coarser hair.

I'd recommend buying travel size formats to try them out and if you're not going to use them very often. 

Also, keep in mind that Aveda only gives store credits if you're not satisfied (i.e. no refunds, at least in Canada). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards