Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Stock the bar party - who to invite

is it typical to invite parents to the stock the bar party or is it just for young couples?

Re: Stock the bar party - who to invite

• Options
    I hosted one last year as MOH. We invited the bridal party and their SOs and close friends of the bride and groom. It was definitely a young couples kind of thing. You could include the parents if you wanted to...I don't think it would've changed the atmosphere much with ours. All we did was play corn hole and ladder golf and serve beer and wine and eat all the food. It was more a party than a shower.

• Options
    Is this a couple's shower you're talking about?
  • Options
    Wait, what?  I can get free booze by "throwing a party" and asking people to bring me it as gifts?  How is this OK etiquette-wise?  Actually, never mind that; I found a shirt to wear to my party that I'm throwing myself.
  • Options
    I assumed a stock the bar party is more of a themed shower...i.e. all gifts surround the theme of a home bar--wine glasses, beer mugs, corkscrew, cocktail shakers, ice buckets, etc. in which case I can't think of why you wouldn't invite the parents unless they've got an opposition to alcohol.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    I assumed a stock the bar party is more of a themed shower...i.e. all gifts surround the theme of a home bar--wine glasses, beer mugs, corkscrew, cocktail shakers, ice buckets, etc. in which case I can't think of why you wouldn't invite the parents unless they've got an opposition to alcohol.

All of this. I never heard of anyone having a themed stock the bar shower that was intended as a literal "stock our wedding bar" type of event...It was all bar accessories, glasses, and plenty of people would bring a bottle of wine or a case of beer in addition to that.

ETA: How is this any different than any other "themed" shower like a kitchen shower, or a lawn equipment shower, etc. This just involves booze and bar accessories. As long as your guests are properly hosted I don't see a problem with it.

• Options

All of this. I never heard of anyone having a themed stock the bar shower that was intended as a literal "stock our wedding bar" type of event...It was all bar accessories, glasses, and plenty of people would bring a bottle of wine or a case of beer in addition to that.

ETA: How is this any different than any other "themed" shower like a kitchen shower, or a lawn equipment shower, etc. This just involves booze and bar accessories. As long as your guests are properly hosted I don't see a problem with it.

I'm not a fan of any themed shower.  It's rude to tell people what kind of gift they have to buy.

• Options

My SS was invited to one of these for his friend. They asked everyone to bring gallons of hard liquor and they served it at their wedding. His guy friends who are all in their 20's still talk about how weird they thought it was.
  • Options
    Well I come from a big drinking family.    My grandparents were on a fixed income.  So my cousins and myself would buy cases of beer, gin and whiskey for their xmas gifts so they had something to offer guests who popped in through out the year.     It's something we did on our own, they never asked. 

My uncles all had kegerators in their homes, as do a lot of my cousins.   Most of them have bars installed in their homes.

Most of my cousins are old enough to be the parents to knotties.  I guess my point is if you are a member of my family you absolutely would want to invite parents, aunt, uncles to a stock the home bar party.  They know their shit and will hook you up.

Throwing a party to stock your wedding bar is just tacky.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards