Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Which is correct?

Both sets of parents are paying. Does the "together" go first or after our names?

Together with their parents

Bride
And
Groom

Or

Bride
And 
Groom

Together with their parents

Re: Which is correct?

• Options
    Honestly I think it could go either way but I prefer for the first just because.

• Options
    The first one makes more sense.

• Options
    Together with their parents (or families)
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they are united in marriage
    Day, day of month
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

If it is a church ceremony, you "request the honour of your presence".
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, day of month
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

I've been wondering--is it traditional to spell "honour" the British/Canadian way, or is that just a preference? I'm not having a church wedding but I enjoy language stuff.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    It is traditional, but not required, as it was 40 years ago.  Older people expect to see it that way on a wedding invitation, but it's no big deal to spell it the modern American way.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    If you're Canadian, the correct way is definitely "honour", if you're American "honor" is fine. 
  • Options
    I agree with @sarahjane222. The "honour" is a British spelling and is rather formal whereas the "honor" is an American spelling. It is same as "favour" or "favor".
    I would like to go with the first invitation's wording option.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, day of month
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

I've been wondering--is it traditional to spell "honour" the British/Canadian way, or is that just a preference? I'm not having a church wedding but I enjoy language stuff.
    I thought pretty much the whole world, except USA, use u's and whatnot in certain words?  Same with how everyone went to metric except for USA.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Blame it on Noah Webster.  He's the one who published the first "American Speller" with different spellings for Americans in 1786.  I never did understand why he did it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Blame it on Noah Webster.  He's the one who published the first "American Speller" with different spellings for Americans in 1786.  I never did understand why he did it.
    Americans have NO TIME for extraneous u's! (Kidding, I have no idea). Thanks for the reply!

@Doeydo I'm not sure who else encompasses the "rest of the world" on this one though--I would categorize any ex-colony of England (where English is not the first language, such as India) as using "British English." I could be wrong about that, though; maybe there are different spelling rules for Indian English. 

Ex-colonies of England where English is the first language all kind of have their own thing, though, don't they? Is Canadian English 100% "the Queen's English"? I always assumed there were little quirks that Canadian English has that British English would frown on, but maybe I'm wrong. I know an American in Australia at the moment who is stressing out over never being able to spell anything "right" because Australia has a strange blend of British and American spelling conventions, so Australia definitely has its own thing.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards