Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation wording with complicated parental relationships....

So I was unaware how frustrating wording invitations would be, but I should have known. Anyway, my fiancé's father is passed but we are still acknowledging him on the invitation. This however has his mother convinced that I need to acknowledge my parents as well. The problem being that my mother isn't assisting in anyway mostly because she's half way across the country but also because she hasn't been a prominent part of my life for 15 years. Now for my father its more complicated as he was never part of my life and isn't even invited to the wedding. I spoke to his parents (whom are giving me away) and while my grandmother didn't demand he was acknowledged she just repeated my MIL2B in the sense that I don't want to look like an orphan and I cant acknowledge one  parent and not the other. I've decided that since I'm obviously biased in this situation that I would ask for outside opinion.

Re: Invitation wording with complicated parental relationships....

• Totally agree with PP. The people's names on the invite are the people getting married and the ones that are hosting the wedding (ie. paying for it). You can find other ways to honor your parents if you wish, but it doesn't make sense to do so on the invitations. 
  • Totally agree with PP. The people's names on the invite are the people getting married and the ones that are hosting the wedding (ie. paying for it). You can find other ways to honor your parents if you wish, but it doesn't make sense to do so on the invitations. 

Paying =/= hosting. If one contributes financially but doesn't otherwise act as a "point person" then s/he shouldn't be listed as a host.

Otherwise I agree with you.
  • Thank you all. my FI's mother and stepfather are hosting but his father left him money for the wedding and he wants to acknowledge him as if he were still here so that his why he is also on the invite. i know its "taboo" but it's one of the only things he's asked for.
  • Thank you all. my FI's mother and stepfather are hosting but his father left him money for the wedding and he wants to acknowledge him as if he were still here so that his why he is also on the invite. i know its "taboo" but it's one of the only things he's asked for.
    ********SITB********* Your late FFIL's last dying wish was to have his name printed on FI's wedding invitations? I find that very odd. It sounds to me like y'all are the ones who want to include him. Personally, I'd use "Together with their families...."
    *********************************************************************************

• yeah no his father didn't ask to be on the invitation. its the only thing my fiancé has asked for since his father left money to be used for the wedding.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Thank you all. my FI's mother and stepfather are hosting but his father left him money for the wedding and he wants to acknowledge him as if he were still here so that his why he is also on the invite. i know its "taboo" but it's one of the only things he's asked for.
    This is the proper wording:

Mr. and Mrs. John FI Stepfather
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of her son
    Groom's Full Name
    to
    Miss (Ms.) Bride's Full Name
    Day., date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

The invitation is from the hosts.  Deceased persons cannot host.  The invitation is not an explanation of who gave money for your wedding.  Putting your FI's late father on the INIVITATION is a terrible faux pas, and people will notice.  It is perfectly proper to put a short memorial dedication to him in your wedding program, where other family members are listed.
    Remember, IT IS NOT AN HONOR TO BE ON AN INVITATION!  It does not acknowledge anyone!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • yeah no his father didn't ask to be on the invitation. its the only thing my fiancé has asked for since his father left money to be used for the wedding.
    Money =/= hosting. The invitation is to tell guests "here are the people you can expect to greet you, to whom you should direct questions, etc." It would be extremely garish to name a deceased individual.

List him in your program and give him a special note there. Not a memorial - a special note. If your FI wants to do something else, I would suggest having him wear/carry something that belonged to his dad - maybe cufflinks, a pocket square, a momento, whatever. 
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards