Wedding Reception Forum

timing for spotlight dances

I have my reception timeline figured out except for the spotlight dances. I know that I want them to happen after dinner/toasts/everything else. So here are the two options I'm thinking of:

Option 1
B&G first dance
Dance floor opens to everyone (while B&G get some quick outside nighttime pictures)
M/S Dance
F/D Dance
Dance floor opens for the rest of the night

Option 2
B&G First Dance
M/S Dance
F/D Dance
Dance floor opens for the rest of the night (B&G go outside for pictures here)

I like option 1 because it breaks up the spotlight dances (after people have been sitting through dinner, etc). But will starting the dancing, then stopping, then starting again kill the party? I want to do everything I can to encourage dancing!

Let me know of any pros/cons I'm not thinking of or if you can suggest any other options that include all dancing after dinner!

Re: timing for spotlight dances

• shaker227 said:
    I have my reception timeline figured out except for the spotlight dances. I know that I want them to happen after dinner/toasts/everything else. So here are the two options I'm thinking of: Option 1 B&G first dance Dance floor opens to everyone (while B&G get some quick outside nighttime pictures) M/S Dance F/D Dance Dance floor opens for the rest of the night Option 2 B&G First Dance M/S Dance F/D Dance Dance floor opens for the rest of the night (B&G go outside for pictures here) I like option 1 because it breaks up the spotlight dances (after people have been sitting through dinner, etc). But will starting the dancing, then stopping, then starting again kill the party? I want to do everything I can to encourage dancing! Let me know of any pros/cons I'm not thinking of or if you can suggest any other options that include all dancing after dinner!
    The bolded is the reason why I think the 2nd option is better.

You could do the first option, but I would not clear the dance floor for it.  You can still have the dance, but it's not necessarily a "spotlight" dance because other people continue dancing.

• Can you combine the M/S and F/D dances?  The more spotlight dances there are, the longer your guests will have to sit there and wait, especially if dinner hasn't yet been served, and I think that does put a damper on things.
  • Option 2, for sure.  Get them over with.  You don't want to stop the party once it gets going.  Also, make sure the DJ stops each of the spotlight songs at an appropriate point so none are going on for 3 or 4 minutes each.  They have experience and will be able to do it so it's seamless and doesn't sound odd.
  • Thanks for the replies! They will be after dinner. I take eating very seriously :) so dinner will happen ASAP.
    That's a good idea about shortening them. I think FMIL would be disappointed if they were combined so that's a good alternative.
    Thanks again!
  • shaker227 said:
    Thanks for the replies! They will be after dinner. I take eating very seriously :) so dinner will happen ASAP. That's a good idea about shortening them. I think FMIL would be disappointed if they were combined so that's a good alternative. Thanks again!
    We did our dances immediately upon entering the reception.  The a quick toast and on to dinner. Perhaps it's a bit more regional, but that's actually the way most weddings I've been to have done them. Presumably people are not starving while they were sitting in their seats because they just came from a full cocktail hour!  After dinner, I just want to get the party started.  I wouldn't want to have to sit through dances or toasts then.
  • I like the idea of option 2 with the dances beginning after your entrance. If you have a cocktail hour with food then people won't be hungry.

• Agree with PPs about doing the dances at the very beginning. I've never seen them done after dinner. 
  • Agree with PPs about doing the dances at the very beginning. I've never seen them done after dinner. 
    See, I almost never see them done before dinner! Around here, they nearly always happen while everyone is finishing up eating so there's nothing to put a damper on. Conversely, if you take everyone's cocktail hour food away, make us all sit down, and THEN make us watch 10 minutes of dances, I get super cranky.

Whatever you choose, just don't try to kick people off the dance floor for the parent dances. That will definitely kill the mood. Either have all 3 dances back to back (preferably for me, while I still have food in front of me) or have the parent dances take place while the dance floor is still open. Your DJ could say something inviting all the mothers/sons or fathers/daughters to the dance floor to dance with you, if you like.

• JoanE2012 said:
    shaker227 said:
    Thanks for the replies! They will be after dinner. I take eating very seriously :) so dinner will happen ASAP. That's a good idea about shortening them. I think FMIL would be disappointed if they were combined so that's a good alternative. Thanks again!
    We did our dances immediately upon entering the reception.  The a quick toast and on to dinner. Perhaps it's a bit more regional, but that's actually the way most weddings I've been to have done them. Presumably people are not starving while they were sitting in their seats because they just came from a full cocktail hour!  After dinner, I just want to get the party started.  I wouldn't want to have to sit through dances or toasts then.
    This.  

See, I almost never see them done before dinner! Around here, they nearly always happen while everyone is finishing up eating so there's nothing to put a damper on. Conversely, if you take everyone's cocktail hour food away, make us all sit down, and THEN make us watch 10 minutes of dances, I get super cranky.

Whatever you choose, just don't try to kick people off the dance floor for the parent dances. That will definitely kill the mood. Either have all 3 dances back to back (preferably for me, while I still have food in front of me) or have the parent dances take place while the dance floor is still open. Your DJ could say something inviting all the mothers/sons or fathers/daughters to the dance floor to dance with you, if you like.
    I've also never seen before dinner dances.
    The actual purpose of the first dance really isn't a photo-op to admire the bride and groom, though it happens and I really enjoy it. 
    But the actual practical purpose is to let guests know that it's time to dance, and that the dance floor is now happening and open. 
    So that's when it should happen. When dancing time is ready to commence, whenever that is. 

I've also never seen before dinner dances.
    The actual purpose of the first dance really isn't a photo-op to admire the bride and groom, though it happens and I really enjoy it. 
    But the actual practical purpose is to let guests know that it's time to dance, and that the dance floor is now happening and open. 
    So that's when it should happen. When dancing time is ready to commence, whenever that is. 
    Our DJ opened the dance floor partway through our first dance.  Many couples also shared a dance between courses.  And the party really picked up after dinner.  I don't think there was any doubt that the dance floor was not open.....it just may not have been the fast-paced music while dinner was served.

Either way, no harm in my eyes.  I just prefer (as a bride and a guest) to get all the dances done with first.
  • shaker227 said: I want to do everything I can to encourage dancing! Let me know of any pros/cons I'm not thinking of or if you can suggest any other options that include all dancing after dinner. The biggest "con" I see with either of your plans is the B & G outside for pictures right when dancing is starting. If you really want to encourage dancing, you should stay in the room and dance with your guests. A few fabulous sunset, and/or night time pictures are great, or course. If you slip away for a few moments before dancing starts (while your guests are finishing their meals, getting drinks and freshening up) OR once dancing is established, your guests won't necessarily miss you. Right when dancing is kicking off? Yes. Your absence will be felt. But your instinct about not "stopping" dancing is a good one ... go with it, and have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards