Wedding Party
Options

Best gift you've ever received as a BM?

2»

Re: Best gift you've ever received as a BM?

• Options
    my favorite was an individual tea maker?  How to explain...a ceramic cup with a lid and a strainer so you can put lose leaf tea directly into a perfectly portioned cup. I love this thing and use it ALL THE TIME.
  • Options

don't give them anything personalized (ie tote bags, hangers)! it's cheesy.  And nothing that they MUST wear during your wedding.

For our BM gifts, I got them some soulmates (for pictures in the grass), Dr. Scholl's shoe pads (helpful if they are wearing heels all day), foldable flats, a pretty robe (for getting ready pictures that hopefully they will wear again), a shawl (they could wear if they were chilly, but didn't have to), and a different item from uncommon goods for each of them that matched their interest or personality.

I did get a personalized hanger for each of them for photo-ops, but I just had them in the room to get ready in and I did not pass them off as a gift.  No one would ever use that again! looking back, it was a waste of money and completely unnecessary.

• Options
    I am doing a mix of the same gift and individual gifts for my bridesmaids. I bought each of them a pearl jewelry set (necklace, earrings, bracelet) that I figured is simple and classic and can be worn with anything - and am not forcing them to wear it the day of, I just think its a beautiful set they would all enjoy. I'm also getting them matching clutches & then a pair of those roll up flats that you can throw in your purse so they can change their shoes at the end of the night. Then I am planning on doing a gift card for each based on things they like and a personalized thank you
  • Options
    pearlluo said:
    It is quite a good ideal to make jewelry for them,and you should remeber make a personalized and useful one!
    Please DO NOT make me jewelry.  I do not need anything arts and crafts that most likely will come out looking like a child made it.  Leave jewelry to jewelers.
  • Options
    Would you like this as a gift?
  • Options
    Wegl13 said:
    I already own all that, personally, but I think it would be a nice gift if your bridesmaids drink and don't have that kind of thing already.

I would suggest that you get a Boston shaker instead of the kind with the lid, though. Way better for anyone serious about their cocktails.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    Wegl13 said:
    I already own all that, personally, but I think it would be a nice gift if your bridesmaids drink and don't have that kind of thing already.

I would suggest that you get a Boston shaker instead of the kind with the lid, though. Way better for anyone serious about their cocktails.
    Agreed.  I like all that stuff, but I own three of each of them already.
  • Options
    yogablossomyogablossom member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Best gift ever: each of us received LL Bean canvas tote bags with our names embroidered on them. Inside each bag as a bottle of wine she thought each of us would enjoy (some red, some white etc), a travel jewelry bag with our names embroidered it, and inside the jewelry bags, earrings that we could wear for the wedding that matched our dresses. It was all very thoughtful and VERY useful stuff! I use my tote when I go to work, I use it when I go to the gym.  I use the jewelry bag every time I travel anywhere. And the wine...I drank it when I needed to de-stress from nursing school at the time. And I still wear the earrings that matched our dresses. They go with so much!
  • Options

I loved reading all of these responses since I am currently in the same situation.

I am not getting them anything personalized like a tote bag - we live in NYC theyre not going to use it on the train! I'm picking their gifts out like it was their birthday or Christmas gifts.

I got this once as my gift: https://weddingshop.theknot.com/minimergency-kit-for-brides-bridesmaids.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=google%2Bshopping&kpid=P4243(KnotShop)&gclid=CJull93YgsICFXMV7AodDi4Azg

Worst gift ever. 

• Options
    Re: the bar stuff from Kohls....

I know how much all that costs because i registered for it.  If you're going to spend upwards of $100 on a BM gift JUST BUY THEIR DANG DRESSES>  BM dresses dont' need to be expensive and I honestly think the best gift you could give them is not have have to PAY for the "honor" of standing next to you at your wedding.  Seriously, i just don't understand why people don't do that anyway - I 100% think paying for the bridal party outfits should be in your budget.  If it's not, then you shouldn't get a say in what they wear, at all.  

P.S. I know that's a super unpopular opinion, I just feel very strongly about it.  
  • Options
    The only time I was a bridesmaid I got a flask as my gift.  I was 18 and couldn't even drink.  It made no sense.  But, hey, it had their wedding date engraved on it.  Score!
  • Options
    I've only been a bridesmaid one time, for my future sister in law (fiance's sister), whom I love. She gave everyone a beautiful necklace from Tiffany, the little silver woven knot. She had asked everyone to wear theirs on her wedding day, and I often wear it now. I love it.
  • Options
    For those of you who said it was nice of the bride to buy your dresses shoes and hair. Yes that is extremely nice. And stating I don't even want to buy a dress to stand next to you? Why the hell are you even a bridesmaid. This sounds completely rude and ignorant if you don't want to chub up money to be in a wedding maybe you should just decline. And for any bride who can afford to pay for all of those things kudos to you because I wish I had money to provide all of that for my girls. But in all reality that's not how it works. All my gifts have been for the wedding as well pearls which I still wear and one ugly gaudy set I'll never wear again.i think just the point that you're buying something for them is a nice gesture regardless of what you end up paying for.
  • Options
    I've only been in two weddings (both of my sisters' weddings). One sister gave all of the bridesmaids a small silver jewelry box with a set of pearl earrings and matching necklace. They were nice, but I've only wore them one other time (pearls are definitely not my thing). And the jewelry box had the wedding date engraved on it….kind of weird, but I use it to store my earrings. 

I don't even remember what my other sister gave us for her wedding….It was a PPD, and I was her MOH. It is possible that she didn't give us anything, but I can't recall for sure.

I like all of these ideas to give each bridesmaid individual gifts. I actually hadn't consider this before stumbling across TK, but sounds like a great idea to me!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    agenevieve22016 said: For those of you who said it was nice of the bride to buy your dresses shoes and hair. Yes that is extremely nice. And stating I don't even want to buy a dress to stand next to you? Why the hell are you even a bridesmaid. This sounds completely rude and ignorant if you don't want to chub up money to be in a wedding maybe you should just decline. And for any bride who can afford to pay for all of those things kudos to you because I wish I had money to provide all of that for my girls. But in all reality that's not how it works. All my gifts have been for the wedding as well pearls which I still wear and one ugly gaudy set I'll never wear again.i think just the point that you're buying something for them is a nice gesture regardless of what you end up paying for.

(edited for no boxes...)

Are you for real? This is terrible and you should feel terrible for saying it. Willingness to spend money (that a person may or not even have to spend on someone else's wedding) has absolutely NO bearing on their relationship with the person.
    You cannot assign monetary value to a friendship and someone's ability/willingness to spend money on a dress has absolutely nothing to do with their value as a friend. 

None of your friends should feel obligated to spend money on your wedding. If they can afford a dress/shoes/hair and want to spend it, that's awesome, but I know for myself I'd rather have the people I love at my wedding with me in jeans if that's all they have (or buy the dress myself so they can be with me). I'm not having a wedding party but if I were having a larger wedding I would NEVER criticize them for what they are comfortable spending for me.

Bridesmaids are not props. If what you want them to wear is more important than them being there with you, you are having a wedding party for all the wrong reasons. They aren't there to match and look pretty in pictures, they are there to support you because you love them and they are important people in your life.

Ugh. I am disgusted that people actually feel this way and admit it. I hope you're ashamed but I can tell you won't be, as obviously all you care about is your special-snowflake self. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For our wedding we gave our entire wedding party personalize whiskey barrels. Our whole crowd loves to party and specifically has a love for bourbon and whiskey. They were a hit!

For my sisters wedding I got an infinity scarf and a monogrammed boat bag. I love them both and use them often. 

• Options
    Or you know, I could just buy them whatever I damn well please that I think they will like and they can buy their dresses because they said they wanted to do so.
    Basically, I went there to buy the cocktail stirrers and the shaker because I thought they were cool. And then I found the ice bucket. And for the record I am thinking about buying this very pretty tray to put it on because I thought it all looked so wonderful sitting together, and my BFF would love it. I got overexcited about how nice it was together, and IT WAS ON FUCKING SALE.

I think you might need to re-examine what it means to give a gift. For me, the point of giving a gift is to give something that I believe will bring joy to the person I am giving it to, which brings joy to me. If instead, I take away a gift that they are joyfully giving me (buying their dresses in this case- which yes this is how my BFF felt about it), all I'm doing is taking away joy from both of us.

And also, stuff at Kohl's is on sale all the time. If you are paying full price there, you are paying too much.
  • Options
    @agenevieve22016, are you really saying you don't care if someone even likes a gift you give them? Or is that only for weddings and not for things like Christmas (or Chanukah or Yule or whatever your gift-giving occasion of choice may be)? Because we really advise giving gifts chosen according to the individual's taste, whatever the reason behind the gift.
  • Options
    @agenevieve22016, are you really saying you don't care if someone even likes a gift you give them? Or is that only for weddings and not for things like Christmas (or Chanukah or Yule or whatever your gift-giving occasion of choice may be)? Because we really advise giving gifts chosen according to the individual's taste, whatever the reason behind the gift.

w Where did I say that I didn't care about what some one gave me? Or I didn't care if they liked it? I said anything given is a nice gesture...maybe I should of been more clear yes personalizing to each individual is even nicer . Obviously I want my BMs to like what I'm giving.
  • Options
    I guess I don't find it such a nice gesture if thought is not put into whether the recipient will like their gift.
  • Options
    I've received jewelry twice as gifts (to be worn in wedding). One necklace/earring set I actually wear a lot because it goes well with my work outfits. So, I don't mind getting jewelry as long as it is re-wearable :) I received a scarf as well and it was really cute. The one gift I hated was the stupid matching shirts to be worn in pictures pre-wedding along with matching hangers for to be used pre-wedding to photograph our dresses. To me these gifts just screamed "This gift is really for me and my wedding pictures!" I left the hanger at the venue and have never worn that shirt again. 

I received a card only in one wedding I was in and I agree this is the best part of the gifts. Luckily I received this card in the first wedding I stood in, so it gave me the idea to also do that for my girls! :) 
  • Options
    for my one sisters i got pearl earrings. i honestly dont remember what my other sister gave me (they were on a budget though) 
    my cousin did really cute statement necklaces that were not to crazy that if i had one i would wear it every day
  • Options
    We're doing weekend wedding so I wanted to do a few things for my bridal party.
    I'm doing VS robes and necklaces for getting ready and for the wedding for the women.
    Then I have individual gifts to give them as well. A hand tooled leather camera strap with their name for, a custom made art journal with some really good brushes for another, A basket for craft beer for my "Bro-maid" and I am still trying to come up with something for my MOH.
  • Options
    I took advantage of black friday deals and bought little crossbody purses from Kate Spade! I hope they like them.

I've received some cool gifts, like Ray Ban wayfarers that I wear all the time (given to me for a destination wedding) and a spa day.

I'm not a huge fan of the robes (I already had one, and I never use it, and now I have another one with my initial on it that just sits in my closet). Consumables are good too, one of my friends did a big bag of Bath and Body Works soaps, lotions, and candles. I've also received purse/scarf to wear on the wedding day, but like others have said, I wore it once and that was it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards