Wedding Reception Forum

Mason jars that aren't?....

So I am still early in concepts for our big day. I am being gifted all of the mason jars from my friends wedding which are 2 sizes, plain with no imprint and already stripped of decor. I don't really like the look of mason jars for our working concept, which is not very rustic. Bright pink, gold, dark wood, and orange accents as lush as we can make it for the budget.The issue is that it feels irresponsible to purchase new glassware for centerpieces when perfectly good free mason jars are available to be recycled. Does anyone have table designs for mason jars that don't look much like mason jars?

Re: Mason jars that aren't?....

• Honestly, and with all respect to the thousands of mason jar decorators of the world, any dressing up you do to a mason jar looks like a dressed up mason jar, and shouldn't happen.

If you want to hide them completely, the simplest and most effective way would be to hide them in a sleeve of paper, and there are so many beautiful papers available that you should have no problem finding something in your chosen colors.
    Like so: 

imageimage

Or sell them on craigslist to a rustic loving bride, and buy what you'd like. ;) 
  • I don't mind mason jars.  

But have you been to a dollar store?  You can get neutral vases--fish bowl style, square, tall...for $1 each.  A florist supply can sell you vases for $2 to $10 each depending on size and whether it's ornate.

If this means a lot to you, do you really need that many such that it's cost prohibitive?  Say you have 20 tables.  20 neutral glass vases will run $20 to $200 depending on whether you pick a $1 or $10 vase.  Unless your budget is REALLY tight, that isn't much.
  • I don't know what kind of budget you're on but you can usually get other cheap glassware from brides on the Wedding Classifieds board or even Craigslist. 

I agree with the PP who suggested selling the mason jars. Someone will going to be very grateful for them. 

Even brand new, glassware isn't that expensive. If the mason jar look isn't what you want, I wouldn't use them.
    *********************************************************************************

• When you try to dress something up to make it not as noticeable it is kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.  

When you say they have no imprint, are you saying that there is no wording on the sides of the jar and that they are just plain glass?  If so, I think once you fill them with flowers the fact that they are mason jars really won't be noticeable.  But if they do have the typical mason jar writing on the sides then I would try to sell them and look into buying new glassware.  Like PP said, buying new vases shouldn't be overly expensive.  Try looking in the Dollar Store or Ikea or you could even do some mis-match style vases by looking in Home Goods or TJMaxx in their home section.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards