Wedding Woes

Also, the unpopular opinion of the day

2»

Re: Also, the unpopular opinion of the day

•  
    MesmrEwe said:
    Heffalump said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    No one allergy is any better/worse to have than another, but it's only the nut kids that get accommodated for in many places. 
    With all due respect, a lot of kids with nut allergies will go into anaphylactic shock and need an EpiPen to keep their airways from swelling shut.  Whereas a kid with something like a dairy allergy (like DD had) will typically have digestive problems but nothing life-threatening.  Plus the kids with nut allergies tend to be very sensitive--a lot of times just coming in contact with something/someone that touched nuts is enough to trigger a reaction.  But for something like dairy, you actually have to consume it before you'll get sick, and in more than trace quantities.  So yeah, some allergies actually are worse to have, and I really feel for people who allergic to something that could potentially kill them
    That is an INTOLERANCE - not an actual allergy to dairy that you're describing.  Sure, an intolerance may seem as bad as an allergy (where you FEEL like you want to die as it moves through the system), but it's not even in the same ballpark as an allergy.  My aunt swells up like a balloon needing an epi pen when she comes in contact with dairy, eggs, etc. that's not a digestive issue.  An intolerance is a digestive system reaction not an immune system one as an allergy is.  I have an intolerance to peppers which will leave me doubled over in the bathroom until every last bit of it is out of my system.  However, If I come in contact with (food borne allergen), my throat is going to close or if I touch it, I'll break into a case of nasty hives.  I'll take an intolerance any day over gasping for air!
    Wrong. You might want to do some research before dismissing something as an "intolerance".

Some people are lactose intolerant, but some people do have a true milk allergy.

Read back up in the discussion - she was trying to say milk and other food allergies ONLY involves if someone ingests milk - and they don't have anaphylactic responses, along with other traits of allergies (hives, swelling, etc.) or that they don't happen for those with other allergies like those with nut allergies, which is completely bogus.  The example is not on the same level as needing an epi pen because of coming in physical contact with an allergen to any degree and to dismiss other people's allergies as somehow being less than those with nut allergies was my beef with it all.  There are thousands of links which define an allergy vs. an intolerance to foods, and yes, even intolerances can be deadly, I don't dispute that.  I've got food allergies and I've got food intolerances so I do know quite a bit about the subject on a personal level, I've also got family that does go into full anaphylactic response from coming in to contact with eggs and dairy, and my UO is I hate how everyone bows down to those with nut allergies when there are plenty of other food allergies out there which cause equal level reactions, but also, you'll drive yourself bonkers trying to accommodate everyone with an allergy or intolerance.. 
  • Toms are the best. Super comfortable! Are they a little ugly? Yep, absolutely. But they sit next to my hideous Uggs and overpriced Hunters. Also, sorry to say I am from Canada and in my city (big University town) Toms/Uggs/Hunters are extremely common-place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not an jerk, so I'll try to make accommodations for intolerance or allergies or what have you because I care about my fellow person and don't try to quantify their own experience.  I've also accommodated strict religious beliefs when it comes to food, again, b/c I'm not an jerk.  I've even accommodated, "I really dislike...." when it comes to feeding people, much b/c of the same.
  • If people are coming to my home for a meal, or a party, I will accomadate all over the place.  But ToT-ers?  No.
  • I think the conversation had evolved into something bigger than just ToTers, which is why I posted.

• I have stopped accommodating my ILs.  I do my best for ToT, but the fact is there are so many issues out there.  I could never know them all or accommodate them all.

• 6fsn said:

I have stopped accommodating my ILs.  I do my best for ToT, but the fact is there are so many issues out there.  I could never know them all or accommodate them all.

Just with my in-laws we have to accommodate...  Vegetarians (and NO, they don't want pasta!), one with Celiac's, one with gluten sensitivity, two with dairy intolerances, two ginger allergies, one with nut allergies, one with banana & blueberry intolerances, one who won't eat turkey, one on a low-fat diet, and one who can't eat the same species in the span of 24 hours, and one who won't eat fish..  It's an all-out fun-fest accommodating just a family meal without tossing one's hands up, but when it comes to ToT, there's a line, accommodating everyone with one type of treat that I want to have potentially leftover at my house is it.  Though I will say, having some item for ToT is better than what my cousin does - kids ring the door bell to say ToT and he says "TRICK!" - that's it - nothing - now that's being a ----
  • MesmrEwe said:
    6fsn said:

I have stopped accommodating my ILs.  I do my best for ToT, but the fact is there are so many issues out there.  I could never know them all or accommodate them all.

Just with my in-laws we have to accommodate...  Vegetarians (and NO, they don't want pasta!), one with Celiac's, one with gluten sensitivity, two with dairy intolerances, two ginger allergies, one with nut allergies, one with banana & blueberry intolerances, one who won't eat turkey, one on a low-fat diet, and one who can't eat the same species in the span of 24 hours, and one who won't eat fish..  It's an all-out fun-fest accommodating just a family meal without tossing one's hands up, but when it comes to ToT, there's a line, accommodating everyone with one type of treat that I want to have potentially leftover at my house is it.  Though I will say, having some item for ToT is better than what my cousin does - kids ring the door bell to say ToT and he says "TRICK!" - that's it - nothing - now that's being a ----
    I would not invite these people over for dinner - unless it was a BYOF/potluck situation. Seriously, what would you serve - a nice head of lettuce?

• My ILs are just picky and won't try anything new. Hummus is completely baffling them.
  • We took my ILs to a "wild game" restaurant, and were floored that MIL got a venison burger. (beef burgers and chicken sandwiches are options, but the rest of the menu is a little more exotic - buffalo, water buffalo, camel, rabbit, kangaroo, ostrich, python, iguana, llama, alpaca, etc.) She LOVED it. 

My mom isn't really adventurous, but I've gotten her to try some new stuff - and she doesn't have too many restrictions if the food is basic chicken/turkey/beef/pork and not very spicy. Dad is generally fine as long as the food doesn't contain broccoli or cauliflower. 

• @shandlyn NOOO!!  From what you say, the disease of Toms is already here in Canada!  I must flee all shoe stores!
    Then again, I don't really go into shoe stores, so that is also a good possibility as to why I have never heard of them.  I live in a fairly big town as well, but I have never heard of anyone speak of them, have never seen advertising for them, and I haven't seen anyone wearing them.  They are a novelty to me.

• *Barbie* said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    6fsn said:

I would not invite these people over for dinner - unless it was a BYOF/potluck situation. Seriously, what would you serve - a nice head of lettuce?
    I

LOL - the lettuce isn't the challenge, it's the dressing to pair with it! Can't have creamy, can't have fatty, yada yada... 

I forgot to mention, and one who is allergic to something in gluten free foods...  Ultimately, we draw a line at "shut up and eat what you can and don't complain about what you can't! and if that's too much, bring your own <action verb> dish"..  It is what it is, you can only accommodate to a point before saying enough is enough, learn how to avoid cross-contamination (and teach it to the kids), and take responsibility for one's own self.  We've had some amazing meals, we've also had some that I've walked away from saying "Boy that corn and mashed potatoes were wonderful!" ...  At the end of the day, it's still personal responsibility for what goes in to one's own body. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards