Plus-Sized

Plus Size Engagement Photo Advice

Hello Knotties! We're doing our engagement photos on Thursday. FI and I are both plus-sized, though we've been working really hard to get down to size. We've both done very well if I do say so myself, but we are by no means bikini bodies yet (or whatever the male equivalent is). So do you guys have some advice for posing, colors, etc. to make us look our best? So far FI is planning to wear jeans, nice shoes and a navy button down. I will be wearing a navy dress with translucent white tights, a mustard cardigan and black booties. We both have thick nerdy glasses that we love. Thanks again!

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 

Re: Plus Size Engagement Photo Advice

• We did two sets of engagement photos because honestly I didn't like some of the pictures. It's hard when you're plus sized because you want to make sure you angle yourself so you don't look frumpy. Honestly, I would just say to be yourself and have fun with it. Don't be afraid of how they turn out, just enjoy yourself. If your fiancé is wearing navy, I think you should wear print, or vice versa. It will give the eye more to look at!
  • edited October 2014
    When is your wedding date? We are getting married 10/1/2015, and we are likely getting our engagement photos done next month. I'm bigger and taller than my fiance...makes me nervous..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were supposed to do them today for our 10/10/15 wedding date but got rained out. So it'll be week after next now.

At least it gives me a little more time - I'm 48lbs now, my goal was to be 50lbs down for the shoot. I'll manage that with the extra two weeks! :)

• Right on! I'm down 40 lbs in a year, hoping to lose another 30-40 lbs by wedding. We decided to push the engagement photos to February, bc of the weather. Not that it will be any better in Feb, but if I try in March, I will be swollen bc of spring allergies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm worried about this as well. I expected to of lost more weight by the time pictures came around. But I totally dropped the ball, and haven't lost any weight since September :/ I'm so worried im going to hate my pictures.
  • We had our engagement photos taken two weeks ago.  Some of them didn't turn out right (like when we were forced to pose a certain way).  But to my surprise, the ones that looked best were the ones where we were at our most natural (kissing, embracing, etc).  It was hard for us to show off the loving side that nobody else really sees. But once we started, we were comfortable with it, because it was a natural feeling. Just by being ourselves and acting like we do around each other everyday, our photos turned out great.  
    Being plus sized myself, I was worried about how I would look in some of them. Some of my arms look big in the photos, and I was thinking that everyone else would notice them as well.  But everyone I showed them to loved them and didn't say anything about my size, and slowly I began to realize that it didn't matter how big I was.  When your loved ones look at your photos, they are going to see the love you two share, not your body size.  And that is all that really matters in the end. 
  • I just got my engagement pics done yesterday. I am a size 22.  My fiance is a size 2x in mens.  We are both plus sized for sure.  Our photographer worked with us though.  He must have known I was a little insecure (he was actually my fiance's friend, so I'm sure he knew), and did a lot of poses in which my body kind of hid.  He also kept me in a black jacket instead of a white shirt.  Black slims you down further.  I felt very comfortable taking the pictures.  Just tell your photographer that you are a little insecure about your weight, and they will make sure you look the best! :D
  • We got them done a few weeks ago. Our first look came back. I had some issues with some of the poses he put us in and asked him to remove and hide those. But some came out really, really well. I didn't dress as well as I should have and I regret that, but we have what we need for STDs, wedding website, cards, etc.

I lost about 50lbs by the time the shoot came around, with 50lbs to go before our October 2015 wedding. While I'm still plus-sized, I looked a lot better so only a few pictures actually bothered me.

The photographer kept trying to get us to pose in kind of bad ways for our size, so some of them that look really nice with colors and setting just look terrible when focused on us. I wish he'd been like "Hey time for a hair check" or "your lipstick has worn off" but he didn't. Make sure to check that stuff for yourself as the hours go by!

• Gotta find a good photographer. I had a HUGE event last month that was televised and MANY pictures were taken (see profile pic).  That photographer kept telling me what positions to get in to maximize my appearance and whenever I listened it WORKED!

Also, you can practice in the mirror to see what you like!  sounds silly but I find it helps.  I also find it helps to send pics to friends or have an honest girlfriend if you're practicing posing because sometimes what looks good to you doesn't to others or to the camera.
  • @MegEn1---How did your photo's come out??

We got ours done the end of Dec....I am plus sized and FI is not....have gained weight while we were dating. There were some of our photos that I did not like but for most part I loved them...our parents love them all. We did jeans on a soccer field..FI is a coach...some where we go hiking and then a little dressy in the hills

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I'm worried about this too.  We had our Save the Dates done at JC Penny, and they turned out pretty good, but it was only chest up.  I am working really hard to lose some weight before my Fall 2016 wedding too!  We're getting engagement pictures hopefully this fall, and only because it's part of the photography package we bought (otherwise, I had no need for them with the STD shoot we took).

I was bridesmaid for my sisters wedding though, I wore a sleeveless dress for it.   The photographer took an artsy shot of our body turned to the side, but head back to the camera.  After one shot I totally forgot that my arm was flat up against my side.  I asked her if we could re shoot with my arm out a bit (maybe place it on your hip to look 'natural').  I saw BOTH shots after - and noticed a huge difference from arm flat against me vs out a bit.  Just a little tip for those kinds of angles.  By the way, I liked the body to the side but head turned back to the camera angle, it got rid of some of my double chin.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards