Registry and Gift Forum
Options

HELP! IS IT TOO EARLY?

My fiancé and I have been engaged for almost 2 years now, we planned a long engagement so I will be finished with grad school before the wedding. We really want to register just because it's a fun wedding activity! I know my shower is still a ways away but is it too early to register this weekend? The wedding is Oct 10, 2015. shower will probably be in Aug, of 2015.

Re: HELP! IS IT TOO EARLY?

• Options
    Most people don't register until a couple months out before the wedding. As you mentioned that your shower won't be until August, I would recommend registering at the beginning of July. Maybe May.

Also, just making sure, but you're not going to throw a shower for yourself, right?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Depending on where you register, a lot of things will go out of stock within that time. I would wait until you are a couple of months out.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I would wait to spring of 2015.   We did ours 11 months  out because it was the only time we were in the country together.   You would be surprised at how many stuff was discontinued. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    we were only engaged for about 6 months before we got married but we started ours right away.  Honestly, the registry was the most stressful part of wedding planning for us and it took us FOREVER to research brands and find everything we wanted. 
  • Options
    Unless you want to receive items on your registry for Christmas this year I think it is too early to register. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    We were thinking ahead toward Christmas presents but I'm not sure. No, my MOH is throwing my shower.
  • Options
    You can maybe do a little research.  Keep a list of things you want, brands you like.  While glasses and place settings might be discontinued, it might be helpful to know that you want both a blender and a separate food processor and what brand you like best.  Do you want a stand up toaster or a toaster oven?  Do you want to register for fine china or will everyday dishes fit your needs?  I understand being engaged for a couple years and wanting to get started on something it seems might make sense to take care of early.  So maybe just make some basic decisions so you're prepared when it comes time to actually register.
  • Options
    I started my registry but we had an engagement party so we weren't sure if people would buy anything off of that.  It is a fun activity and now that I started one at Bed Bath and Beyond online, we just go in and add things.  You don't have to make the registry public right away.  We made it so you can't search for it online.  The items we are registering for aren't going to go out of stock or change because most of it is the standard items from well known brands.  I wouldn't make your registry public until a couple of months before your bridal shower.  But it's a nice way to keep track of the items you need. We went in person right before our engagement and used to scanning gun and then went online to check out the items and customer reviews.  What you see in person might seem nice, but make sure you check the reviews- especially if you register for towels or linens.  Even electronics.
  • Options

I'd start registering around May or June of next year.  That gives you an opportunity to see what new items become available in 2015, and if you register in-store, you'll have a fun indoor activity on summer days when it's too hot to be outside (if you live in an area with especially hot summer weather, that is). 

• Options
    You will find that certain things will get discontinued. Comforter sets, towels, and other items like it are usually seasonal. Target is very reknown to discontinue things seasonally. So i would wait until Spring 2015 to register or you will find a need to replace a lot of items. But if you want to go for things like kitchen items, then you should be good to start your registry now.
  • Options
    Krideout3 said:

My fiancé and I have been engaged for almost 2 years now, we planned a long engagement so I will be finished with grad school before the wedding. We really want to register just because it's a fun wedding activity! I know my shower is still a ways away but is it too early to register this weekend? The wedding is Oct 10, 2015. shower will probably be in Aug, of 2015.

Our wedding is exactly one week before yours (10/03/2015) and we are planning to register in early November as we will both have time off work.

We are only registering at one place (Williams Sonoma) for classic kitchen items (bakeware, cutlery, pots and pans, etc). I know it's early but a few family members have already asked about our registry, so we figured we would at least get it started since it is unlikely that a lot of our items would be discontinued as the majority of things we are currently researching are well known brands (Le Creuset, All Clad, etc) plus an assortment of under $50 and under $25 store brand utensils.

I guess we can always monitor and update the registry as needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards