Getting in Shape
Options

Planning a trip and need some advice - Xpost

I'm hoping amongst all you awesome ladies that someone may have some ideas...FI and I are planning a trip to Nepal in 18 months, to do the Everest Base camp trek-it's an 18-20 day trek from Kathmandu to Everest Base camp (no desire to go higher...).  It's 10 days to the base camp, of which 3 are acclimatization days, and 8-10 back, depending on the tour company (we'll be going with one that operates out of my home town in British Columbia, how cool is that?).

At any rate, my question is what's the best way to get in condition for it?  I do walk a lot, but I live in the prairies (read-flat), so I'm wondering if there's something specific we should do to get in shape for it?

TIA

posted in chit chat also

Re: Planning a trip and need some advice - Xpost

• Options
    Short of traveling somewhere with comparatively high altitude, I'd recommend as many day/weekend/longer if you can hiking trips (with a weighted pack) to the Rockies (I think I saw in your xp that you're close to Jasper? Lots of great hikes there - get Craig and Kathy Copeland's "Done in a day: Jasper" hiking guide for a start. It's awesome.) as possible, combined with an intense cardio routine. The best thing you can do is to get your heart in the best shape you can, so something at least moderately intense like running (or even better, lots of HIIT) in fairly large doses will be a big help even if the altitude isn't comparable. Just get yourself into the best cardiovascular shape possible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    thanks!
  • Options
    Congratulations! This sounds like an amazing trip! I hike a lot and backpack some too. Luckily I live in fairly high elevation already and have mountains practically at my doorstep. An important thing to consider is that hiking vs walking is all about going UP. I'd recommend climbing stairs (maybe a stadium?) to get your body used to that movement. Also, I'd recommend carrying some weight (hydration pack or backpack with water bottles). You could also do step ups with weight at a gym (or even at home). 
  • Options
    I lived in Pokhara for a while! I hate Kathmandu and I would recommend spending as little time there as possible. The air quality is horrific and I don't think it'll help with your trek. That being said, these base camp treks are designed for lots and lots of people, so if you're making an effort to get in shape before hand I think you've got the upper hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards